AAPL Q3 2012 Earnings Results Thread

• Posted: 25 July 2012 03:00 AM #76

Mav - 25 July 2012 01:21 AM

Apple could theoretically benefit from an iPhone launch in between the main iPhone cycle.

Interesting thought.  With only 6 months between refreshes the rumor mill has nothing to talk about.  Everybody would know that its less the 6 months away, not enough time to build expectations with baseless rumors.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 25 July 2012 03:41 AM #77

Perhaps if folks weren’t foolishly projecting $12-$14 EPS, folks wound’t be disappointed with Q3 results?

• Posted: 25 July 2012 03:51 AM #78

rutgersguy92 - 25 July 2012 12:37 AM
    Burgess - 24 July 2012 11:47 PM

Iphone sales were only a little less than I expected (26 vs my 28 estimate) - but iPad sales were way off, and I think they were below apples forecasts too. 2 things seemed to contribute to this: the unexpected slowdown in Europe & the very long process to get iPad certified to sell in China. I think if those 2 markets performed as apple expected iPad sales would have topped 20 million.

But the real big miss in the EPS came from the collapse in Gross Margin - the reasons given n the Call implying that it is not going to get any better next quarter.

Was anyone else shocked to hear Tim Cook say that iphone sales in June took a hit due to “new product rumors”??? This bodes very badly for the next quarter unless we see a Sep iPhone 5 launch…

The lower price point alternatives for IPad and IPhone didn’t help either, and may have taken market share from the top priced one.  They need to come up with something to fix this.

Yes, the fix is coming -  an even-lower-price point iPad “mini”.  Get used to it.  Margins will fluctuate.  But will eventually stabilize at a lower level.  You can’t hit “1b” devices at the current iPad price points.

Posted: 25 July 2012 04:04 AM #79

Thanks!  Good to know.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 25 July 2012 07:17 AM #80

bsilent - 25 July 2012 05:36 AM

Here’s some kool-aid.  If we agree with Horace re:Apple needs to kill the iPhone, then this is the beginning of that process.  Think of this Q as AAPL slowly pulling off the iPhone band-aid. 5 years ago, Steve told us Apple was 5 years ahead of the competition.  Today, most people just want a facebooking, instagramming, music streaming, picture taking machine.  The other guys’ rectangles with 4.7” LTE 720P Screens and Quadcore processors are delivering now.

skate to where the puck will be

This is true - I’m convinced the samsung launch of the galaxy s3 internationally at the end of may was the cause of iPhone sales slowing in June - much more so than the iPhone rumors TC blamed on the conference call. The galaxy 3 is being advertised very heavily, seemingly everywhere, and I know several people who have bought this phone. To compare, the last person I know who bought an iPhone was back in March.

Skating to where the puck will be? That’s exactly what Siri is.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 25 July 2012 09:45 AM #81

Nice, thanks for the link.

Posted: 25 July 2012 05:00 PM #82

Thanks for that. However, I’m not certain you will be able to react to the news any quicker than the army of machines that open the trapdoor, or light the rocket under the stock price.

Sometimes, any big move has already happened before trading reopens as in the various dark pools there will have been no trading halt whatsoever.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 25 July 2012 05:21 PM #83

wheeles - 25 July 2012 08:00 PM

Thanks for that. However, I’m not certain you will be able to react to the news any quicker than the army of machines that open the trapdoor, or light the rocket under the stock price.

Sometimes, any big move has already happened before trading reopens as in the various dark pools there will have been no trading halt whatsoever.

Agreed.  Yesterday there was an instantaneous drop from ~602 all the way down to ~575 with no sell/buy action in between.  The price rockets up or down so quickly I don’t think a limit order somewhere in between the gap would fill.

Somehow, those machines get the news much faster than we do and/or must have been set up to start buying at support in the 570s.

• Posted: 25 July 2012 05:36 PM #84

Yeah, I’m not sharing it for trading purposes, just so we know where to go to get the news first before waiting for some other site to process/write it.

• Posted: 25 July 2012 05:45 PM #85

dolemite - 25 July 2012 08:36 PM

Yeah, I’m not sharing it for trading purposes, just so we know where to go to get the news first before waiting for some other site to process/write it.

If you follow the right people then twitter seems to be fastest for me these days.

Signature