Posted: 25 July 2012 09:57 PM

Horace is digging through the expenditure spending from Apples report:

http://yfrog.com/j23y3tp

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 25 July 2012 11:30 PM #1

The question is how big? Definitely the next gen. iPhone. Hopefully the iPad Mini.

I’m only halfway through listening to Horace’s podcast from today. He thinks the iPad Mini will be a content consumption device (like the Nexus 7 & Kindle Fire) rather than a full computing device like the 9.7” iPad. For that reason, a fall launch makes more sense.

Posted: 26 July 2012 12:33 AM #2

My guess

- 50% increase in iPhone production lines (increase to 50-55 million per quarter max output)
    - new production lines for the 8” iPad
    - new production lines for the Apple HDTV

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 26 July 2012 11:28 AM #3

Drew Bear - 26 July 2012 02:30 AM

The question is how big? Definitely the next gen. iPhone. Hopefully the iPad Mini.

I’m only halfway through listening to Horace’s podcast from today. He thinks the iPad Mini will be a content consumption device (like the Nexus 7 & Kindle Fire) rather than a full computing device like the 9.7” iPad. For that reason, a fall launch makes more sense.

I doubt Apple is going to concede the leverage of apps written for the iPad 9.7” for use on the iPad Mini.  It does not play to Apple’s key advantage, the app store.

I would like to see a 7.85” iPad Mini AND a 5” iPod Pro, using iPad and iPod apps, respectively.

Posted: 26 July 2012 12:13 PM #4

Mercel - 26 July 2012 02:28 PM
    Drew Bear - 26 July 2012 02:30 AM

I doubt Apple is going to concede the leverage of apps written for the iPad 9.7” for use on the iPad Mini.  It does not play to Apple’s key advantage, the app store.

I would like to see a 7.85” iPad Mini AND a 5” iPod Pro, using iPad and iPod apps, respectively.

I don’t think Apple will concede anything, but they might emphasize content consumption for the iPad mini. There are some iPad apps that will be cramped on the smaller screen. iMovie, for example, probably won’t work well on the smaller non-Retina screen.

The latest rumors suggest the next gen iPod touch may use the same screen size as the new iPhone. I’ve also thought a 5” iPod touch would be great, but the iPad mini is a more important product.

• Posted: 26 July 2012 02:07 PM #5

September:

2012 Mac Mini
    iPod Touch

October:

The New iPhone
    iPod Touch HD (or iPad Mini if you like)

November:

Spec bump for MacBook Air, MacBook Pro Retina

2013:

Updates to Mac Pro and iMac

Yes, I’m serious.

• Posted: 26 July 2012 02:10 PM #6

Iphone 5, please get here ASAP.  NFC and Siri going forward will be huge.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/26/apple-has-a-lot-more-nfc-ideas-than-just-a-wallet-app/

Posted: 26 July 2012 11:23 PM #7

huskerrx - 26 July 2012 05:10 PM

Iphone 5, please get here ASAP.  NFC and Siri going forward will be huge.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/26/apple-has-a-lot-more-nfc-ideas-than-just-a-wallet-app/

Combine that with Siri and the possibilities are endless. 3 years from now people will be stunned with the level of interaction we have with our electronics. All driven with best of class software/hardware.

Posted: 27 July 2012 02:03 AM #8

You think Apple took notice of Charlie Miller’s hack?  I’m thinking Apple has plans for NFC that are a bit more original.  Maybe even not using traditional NFC technologies.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 27 July 2012 12:57 PM #9

Mav - 27 July 2012 05:03 AM

You think Apple took notice of Charlie Miller’s hack?  I’m thinking Apple has plans for NFC that are a bit more original.  Maybe even not using traditional NFC technologies.

I think you’re right, Mav. A year ago, there was talk about a race to NFC - that Google and Apple and others were desperately trying to get their NFC offerings in place in order to grab market share and lock their competitors out of the market. They Google jumped in with both feet and landed with a resounding “thump”. NFC - at least in its current form - not only has the chicken and egg problem - but its also harder to user than ordinary credit cards. Why bother?

Now Apple enters the game with passbook. It looks to me like they’re playing the long game. They’ve got something in mind and they’re putting al the pieces in place, one by one. I do not say that Apple has got it right. I honestly don’t know where they’re headed and it’s difficult to say if they have got it figured out of if they’re just feeling their way like everybody else But it most definitely appears that they’re taking a different path than all the others.