Back to School: The iPad Quarter

• Posted: 27 July 2012 03:01 PM

I would not be surprised to see iPad sales exceed iPhone sales if the new iPhone is not released in the current quarter. TC mentioned in the CC that K-12 iPad sales were around 1 million in Q3. I think we will see a generous increase QoQ as I would believe that this is the quarter most school districts make their purchases during for the upcoming school year.

The most important demographic for growth may be the higher education market. I’ve been a student on a college campus for the past 7 years. I’ve watched my school shift from PC dominant to Mac dominant. The iPad is still a relatively rare find. I expect that to change this fall.

Any thoughts?

• Posted: 27 July 2012 09:28 PM #1

AppleDoc - 27 July 2012 06:01 PM

TC mentioned in the CC that K-12 iPad sales were around 1 million in Q3. I think we will see a generous increase QoQ as I would believe that this is the quarter most school districts make their purchases during for the upcoming school year.

Actually, the big quarter for school district purchases is the one that just ended. Schools generally make their big purchasing decisions in the late Spring.

That does not mean, however, that ipad sales won’t continue to rapidly grow this quarter.

• Posted: 27 July 2012 09:43 PM #2

FalKirk - 28 July 2012 12:28 AM
    AppleDoc - 27 July 2012 06:01 PM

TC mentioned in the CC that K-12 iPad sales were around 1 million in Q3. I think we will see a generous increase QoQ as I would believe that this is the quarter most school districts make their purchases during for the upcoming school year.

Actually, the big quarter for school district purchases is the one that just ended. Schools generally make their big purchasing decisions in the late Spring.

That does not mean, however, that ipad sales won’t continue to rapidly grow this quarter.

But do they purchase at the same time they make a decision?  I would think it would be delayed until they needed them.  Then again, it’s government so forget that thought…

Posted: 27 July 2012 09:54 PM #3

China gets the new iPad.  That should be enough for sequential growth.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.