Weekend Updates - Archive

• Posted: 30 July 2012 02:07 AM #136

Lstream - 29 July 2012 02:58 PM
    BillH - 29 July 2012 03:14 AM
    roni - 29 July 2012 02:25 AM

What evidence is there that there is no fire in their belly to go after the enterprise, or that it is not a priority.  I have not felt that so far.

thanks

No dedicated enterprise sales force would be the biggest hint.  With byo taking hold I’m thinking they won’t need to develop one either.  Those kinds of salesforces are unruly beasts and I think they’re doing the right thing in approaching that market from the consumer side.

Apple has a dedicated Enterprise sales team.  I have been on sales calls with them.  The typical rep covers about 10 accounts each, so they don’t cover all enterprises.  They focus on large, strategic accounts.  Deployments like all those iPads at United Airlines don’t happen all by themselves.  There is an account team including a sales engineer that pushes those deals across the goal line. 

The team is not huge, but not insignificant either.  I think in the US, there is about 30 reps.  One company has a dedicated rep whose entire job is selling to that company.  That company is GE.

Note this article about IBM increasing the size of it’s software sales force.  (note:  this is JUST software)  Compare to your 30 rep number.

http://news.cnet.com/ibm-to-beef-up-software-sales-staff/2100-1012_3-5634664.html

relevent quote.  ” Currently, IBM’s software sales staff numbers about 13,000.”

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 30 July 2012 02:11 AM #137

Oh…,one more thing.  My nephew is a dedicated enterprise iPhone/iPad employee so I’m clear about what they’re up to.  It’s just that they don’t have anything (nor are they developing it) that would historically fit the definition or description of a dedicated sales force.  They do indeed think different.

Signature

• Posted: 30 July 2012 12:01 PM #138

BillH - 30 July 2012 05:07 AM

Note this article about IBM increasing the size of it’s software sales force.  (note:  this is JUST software)  Compare to your 30 rep number.

http://news.cnet.com/ibm-to-beef-up-software-sales-staff/2100-1012_3-5634664.html

That’s really not all relevant. Apple has absolutely no products, none, that compare with what these IBM people are selling.

• Posted: 30 July 2012 01:33 PM #139

greedyn00b - 30 July 2012 03:01 PM

That’s really not all relevant. Apple has absolutely no products, none, that compare with what these IBM people are selling.

I was not attempting to claim that 30 is a big number.  Companies that sell exclusively to Enterprise can have 10 or more people on just one account.  Those businesses are selling an entire array of solutions and services.  Apple’s main job so far is getting iOS approved by IT, so that iPad’s and iPhone’s are allowed on the network, and become an approved mobile platform.  While I agree that they could and should be making a larger investment, my point was that they are not ignoring Enterprise altogether.  There were some earlier posts, where the posters were concerned that Apple was doing nothing in Enterprise, which is not true.

• Posted: 30 July 2012 07:29 PM #140

Lstream - 30 July 2012 04:33 PM
    greedyn00b - 30 July 2012 03:01 PM

I was not attempting to claim that 30 is a big number.  Companies that sell exclusively to Enterprise can have 10 or more people on just one account.  Those businesses are selling an entire array of solutions and services.  Apple’s main job so far is getting iOS approved by IT, so that iPad’s and iPhone’s are allowed on the network, and become an approved mobile platform.  While I agree that they could and should be making a larger investment, my point was that they are not ignoring Enterprise altogether.  There were some earlier posts, where the posters were concerned that Apple was doing nothing in Enterprise, which is not true.

Thanks for clarifying.  My impression from your post was that 30 was a somewhat adequate number and there is no way to know how many here have a grasp of just what’s involved.  My first sales job after leaving design was with Haworth selling office furniture.  This was thirty some years ago when their sales were 3-400,000,000.00 which is almost a rounding error for Apple.  We had a salesforce of 350 and were hiring like mad.  My nephew’s career is more intriguing to me than office furniture is these days.  (surprised?)  He was part of the team that made the GE video that was (and still may be) prominently displayed on Apple’s website.  I gave him his first Mac so I get to pretend I had something to do with his present day success.  smile

As for greedyNoob’s post claiming that IBM’s software business having nothing to do with Apples software/hardware business…,au contraire.  Even the furniture guy had reason to call on the I.T. crowd in the enterprise.

Signature