Weekend Updates - Archive

• Posted: 28 July 2012 07:23 PM #61

Mav - We’re talking about ads because if not, we are talking about sad dog stories or lack of earnings beat…you have any better topics?

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 28 July 2012 07:24 PM #62

Some like ‘em, some don’t.  I’m sure there were some stronger opinions about “1984”.

Hey, some weekend humor again!

From MacRumors - link here:  http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/28/apple-considered-purchasing-a-large-stake-in-twitter/

Apple has run into difficulties in its social media efforts with the Ping social network on the chopping block according to Apple CEO Tim Cook. Walter Isaacson, Steve Jobs’ biographer, said recently that social was one nut that Steve Jobs couldn’t crack.

Funny Isaacson should say that.  Last I checked Facebook was actually having a little trouble with social too. wink  Something like a dollar in revenues per person is something they’ll have to work on, particularly given the mobile megatrend.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 28 July 2012 07:28 PM #63

Phoebear611 - 28 July 2012 10:23 PM

Mav - We’re talking about ads because if not, we are talking about sad dog stories or lack of earnings beat…you have any better topics?

I’m not trolling - much.  Don’t worry, I probably already have 2.5 strikes with iPad and I don’t even know it, so I’m watching myself.

Just chill and enjoy the weekend.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 28 July 2012 07:29 PM #64

Mav - 28 July 2012 10:24 PM

Some like ‘em, some don’t.  I’m sure there were some stronger opinions about “1984”.

Hey, some weekend humor again!

From MacRumors - link here:  http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/28/apple-considered-purchasing-a-large-stake-in-twitter/

Apple has run into difficulties in its social media efforts with the Ping social network on the chopping block according to Apple CEO Tim Cook. Walter Isaacson, Steve Jobs’ biographer, said recently that social was one nut that Steve Jobs couldn’t crack.

Funny Isaacson should say that.  Last I checked Facebook was actually having a little trouble with social too. wink  Something like a dollar in revenues per person is something they’ll have to work on, particularly given the mobile megatrend.

Mav - this was last night’s news by the NYT and then dispelled by Reuters and others (check previous posts).
    Truth be told, most tweets were negative when they saw this news…would prefer AAPL sticking to the plan and making insanely great products. Take a look at some of the previous links I posted.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 28 July 2012 07:31 PM #65

On a much happier note…Lochte over Phelps and others for the first gold.  I dare any female on the board to tell me he isn’t eye candy!

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 28 July 2012 07:34 PM #66

We could talk about strategies for the rest of the year

I was reviewing my transactions from mid-2011 through April of 2012.  The buys I made in August and September did very well, even though they dipped a bit in November.  Jan 2012 and 2013 360’s through 450’s made a lot of money.  I wish I would have held on to some longer than I did smile

I even had some Jan 2012 $220’s

I am 40% cash now and am looking to buy in the mid $500’s

I wonder if last year’s opportunity will happen again this year

• Posted: 28 July 2012 07:39 PM #67

Speaking of Apples, is this all right?  Not the bite me part, the Apple part

Posted: 28 July 2012 07:45 PM #68

Phoebear611 - 28 July 2012 10:29 PM

Mav - this was last night’s news by the NYT and then dispelled by Reuters and others (check previous posts).
    Truth be told, most tweets were negative when they saw this news…would prefer AAPL sticking to the plan and making insanely great products. Take a look at some of the previous links I posted.

My point was difficulty in breaking into social part, not the article itself.  The poster child of all social companies is raking it in at the rate of about $1.25B in profit per year (non-GAAP basis).  Impressive, but a long way from even getting into Google territory.

[ Edited: 28 July 2012 07:49 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 28 July 2012 07:53 PM #69

Mav - 28 July 2012 10:45 PM
    Phoebear611 - 28 July 2012 10:29 PM

My point was difficulty in breaking into social part, not the article itself.  The poster child of all social companies is raking it in at the rate of about $1.25B in profit per year (non-GAAP basis).  Impressive, but a long way from even getting into Google territory.

Completely agree with you…I’m just hoping that TC comes out with some of the things he implied he had in store without divulging what anything was…God I hope it’s good!....and I wish he would offer something up right after Labor Day!

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 28 July 2012 07:59 PM #70

I’ve heard the “Europe is on vacation in August”, “such-and-such a month isn’t the best time to launch”, etc.

Everyone knows that when Apple announces, the whole world listens (they’d probably find out about it during vacation anyway).  Tim Cook knows that the best time to launch a product is ASAP, subject of course to Apple’s QA and stuff.  Labor Day would be a great day to launch an iOS product, but without more iOS 6 chatter it’s all just speculation.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 28 July 2012 08:13 PM #71

roni - 28 July 2012 10:39 PM

Best post of the week IMO.  :wink:

• Posted: 28 July 2012 08:19 PM #72

Phoebear611 - 28 July 2012 10:53 PM

Completely agree with you…I’m just hoping that TC comes out with some of the things he implied he had in store without divulging what anything was…God I hope it’s good!....and I wish he would offer something up right after Labor Day!

I don’t sense from the call that there’s any real blockbuster, aside from an iPad Mini and iPhone 5.  Tim and Co. are very confident with the product pipeline and that’s all they’re going to say.  The rest is speculation, which tends to run more wild than reality. 

Nonethless, September 2012 should be a bigger month than last year, including at least an iPhone 5 announcement.

Posted: 28 July 2012 08:23 PM #73

They don’t even need more than iPhone 5 for a great holiday quarter.  iPad mini really is a game changer, if they come out with one.

Apple Television is obviously on the way.  Exactly when, who knows.  As one Internet commenter said, Tim Cook knows exactly what’s on the end of that string.  Meanwhile, your best advance clue on new iOS anything is how far along the iOS 6 beta is, and I haven’t heard anything on that front.

(By the way, it’s funny how I used to wonder how an iPhone nano would fit in, and the competition goes EVEN BIGGER, which kind of ends the discussion I guess.)

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 28 July 2012 08:29 PM #74

Mercel - 28 July 2012 11:13 PM

It was the sand, wasn’t it smile

• Posted: 28 July 2012 08:41 PM #75

roni - 28 July 2012 11:29 PM
    Mercel - 28 July 2012 11:13 PM

It was the sand, wasn’t it smile

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On