AAPL Intraday Updates- Archive

• Posted: 30 July 2012 10:55 AM #31

Okay that makes sense, but it seems to me if the stock goes down the value of the dividend then im not seeing a point of a dividend.

• Posted: 30 July 2012 11:00 AM #32

nate010203 - 30 July 2012 01:55 PM

Okay that makes sense, but it seems to me if the stock goes down the value of the dividend then im not seeing a point of a dividend.

to simplify: imagine I have an apple orchard, and need money to develop it. You give me 10k for 10% of my business for a total business value of 100k
    Next year, we made 20k profit, so business is worth 120k. I split 20k profits, and you’re back to your 10% 10k investment, and you got 10% of profits( 2k)
    now you only invested 8k ( got back 2k) and still own 10% of business.
    Next year, you get another 2k and so on.. in 5 years, you got your money back and you still own 10% of business. Does this make a point?

Posted: 30 July 2012 11:03 AM #33

nate010203 - 30 July 2012 01:51 PM
    roni - 30 July 2012 01:49 PM

I think the trade has to be settled by the ex-div date.

Yeah that makes sense.

Yes, last day to trade is Aug 8 to settle by Aug 13.

• Posted: 30 July 2012 11:07 AM #34

madmaxroi - 30 July 2012 02:03 PM

Yeah that makes sense.

Yes, last day to trade is Aug 8 to settle by Aug 13.

Thanks for all the info everyone. This dividend thing can be a little confusing, Ive never gotten a dividend before.

Ive been holding my current shares for a few weeks now so Ill probably just hold on for a little while longer.

• Posted: 30 July 2012 11:13 AM #35

Apple strikes back at Samsung with 2005 iPhone prototype design

By Sam Oliver

Published: 09:14 AM EST (06:14 AM PST)
    Countering Samsung’s allegations that the iPhone borrowed design elements from Sony, Apple has revealed an iPhone prototype dating back to 2005 that shares many design elements with the iPhone 4 released in 2010.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/30/apple_strikes_back_at_samsung_with_2005_iphone_prototype_design.html

• Posted: 30 July 2012 11:14 AM #36

I feel like a fool for not buying on Thursday or even Friday. Oh well…

Dips will always come by.

Posted: 30 July 2012 11:19 AM #37

Tom Bowley Says;

I posted this yesterday but may have posted this wrong.

• Posted: 30 July 2012 11:27 AM #38

I am enjoying this, but I am not chasing here, but I have enough AAPL to enjoy the run, and 40% cash

• Posted: 30 July 2012 11:33 AM #39

Phoebear611 - 30 July 2012 01:23 PM
    mstefa - 30 July 2012 01:14 PM
    Phoebear611 - 30 July 2012 01:05 PM

Stock is up on the rumor posted earlier about the mini iPad, etc being released in Sept.  Be careful out there - this is all on rumor…don’t get me wrong..I will take it but lots of macro events (meetings) this week.  So who knows?

Any technician care to offer up an if/then scenario for today?

From what I’m reading rumor is from places who had great accuracy in past.

Again, I need a bigger brain - but why did TC guide lower due to transition? Wouldn’t that mean that it is an October launch or did he blatantly lie? So confused.

We have to factor in the possibility that Apple is dealing with a “moving target”.  It could be a software issue or parts supply ....  That being the case , Cook would have no option other than to guide conservatively .  I’ve also brought up the point that guiding higher would only confirm a timeline and further hurt current quarter sales.  If I was making the call I would guide as if nothing was coming out .... simple poker .

As a long I’ve got no worries .... good luck to those trying to time the launch .... not a easy thing to do.

• Posted: 30 July 2012 11:42 AM #40

Yeah that makes sense.

That’s not quite correct.  Here’s the statement from Apple’s website:

On July 24, 2012, Apple’s Board of Directors declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share of the Company’s common stock. The dividend is payable on August 16, 2012, to stockholders of record as of the close of business on August 13, 2012. The ex-dividend date is August 9, 2012.

To qualify for the dividend you must buy the stock no later than close of trading on August 8.  This allows for sufficient time (3 days) for the transaction to settle by the record date, August 13, 2012.

Posted: 30 July 2012 11:45 AM #41

597 looks very real…support holding up.

The wall gf 600 will require digestion.

Another factor today…divvy funds, endowments that buy today settle in the month the divvy is paid for the “cleanest” books in accord with their investment guidelines.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 30 July 2012 11:46 AM #42

Stock is up on the rumor posted earlier about the mini iPad, etc being released in Sept.  Be careful out there - this is all on rumor…don’t get me wrong..I will take it but lots of macro events (meetings) this week.  So who knows?

Again, I need a bigger brain - but why did TC guide lower due to transition? Wouldn’t that mean that it is an October launch or did he blatantly lie? So confused.

If Apple announces on September 12 and then ships on September 21 that leaves only 10 days for sales. How much can they ship? You know folks will order but that after the first few days ship times will move to more than one week. Even if you assume they can ship a million new iPhones a day (which I don’t assume) then you come up with 10 million phones. Now speculate on the number of iPhones Apple will sell up to the September 21 ship date on the new iPhone. My guess (and my batting average isn’t 1,000) is a 35% decline from the previous quarter of 26 million phones for the 81 days it will be on sale, or approximately 16 million phones. Add 16 million iPhones 3&4 to 10 million iPhone 5 units, and you get 26 million phones. No more than last quarter. And it’s possible that Apple may sell fewer than 26 million phones this quarter, given the steepness of the decline last quarter. This means margins will decline a bit, given that we’ll probably sell more than 17 million iPads and Mac sales will also go up, and both these products offer lower margins.

Posted: 30 July 2012 12:00 PM #43

Prazan - 30 July 2012 02:46 PM

If Apple announces on September 12 and then ships on September 21 that leaves only 10 days for sales. How much can they ship? You know folks will order but that after the first few days ship times will move to more than one week. Even if you assume they can ship a million new iPhones a day (which I don’t assume) then you come up with 10 million phones. Now speculate on the number of iPhones Apple will sell up to the September 21 ship date on the new iPhone. My guess (and my batting average isn’t 1,000) is a 35% decline from the previous quarter of 26 million phones for the 81 days it will be on sale, or approximately 16 million phones. Add 16 million iPhones 3&4 to 10 million iPhone 5 units, and you get 26 million phones. No more than last quarter. And it’s possible that Apple may sell fewer than 26 million phones this quarter, given the steepness of the decline last quarter. This means margins will decline a bit, given that we’ll probably sell more than 17 million iPads and Mac sales will also go up, and both these products offer lower margins.

Exactly…

And this sceanario makes the holiday quarter both huge on volumes of all major products with design, build and launch costs behind them.  That quarter= huge and efficient

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 30 July 2012 12:05 PM #44

Red Shirted Ensign - 30 July 2012 03:00 PM

Exactly…

And this sceanario makes the holiday quarter both huge on volumes of all major products with design, build and launch costs behind them.  That quarter= huge and efficient

Q4 will simply be a handoff to an Olympic Gold Medal finish for the Dec. quarter. 

These rumors of a Sept. 12 announcement are really spilling out now.  I was a bit early selling into strength Friday but only small positions were sold.

Posted: 30 July 2012 12:17 PM #45

Whats going to happen to the stock when Sept 12 comes and there is no announcement.

Rumor news that cause moves up will hurt when they don’t come to pass.

Two factors lead me to believe we will release in Oct. 
    Apple needs as much time as possible to build up supply for the biggest launch in iPhone history.
    Apple told us by guidance and directly they expect more iPhones this quarter then last year’s 4th quarter 17 million.

They are not going to rush announcement just to get one extra week of sales for the quarter and more then 17 million leaves lots of room to keep expectations in check.

I still think today’s move is follow thru from Friday and Thursday of last week.

I see mid 580’s by end of the week.

[ Edited: 30 July 2012 12:19 PM by omacvi ]