Apple’s new Genius Ads

• Posted: 31 July 2012 12:06 AM

I feel like I’m living in an alternate universe. I keep reading horrible things about the new Apple Ads and I think they’re great. Really great.

People say that they’re insulting. That they depict Apple users as idiot. I don’t think they’re insulting. Not only can’t most people do the things mentioned in the Ads, most people don’t even know that those things CAN be done. For example, one ad mentions the cards App. I doubt if one-tenth of one tenth of one-tenth of the population even knows that that App exists.

The other criticism seems to be that the ads show that Apple products are so complex that they need help using them. Again, I think people are totally missing the point. Most people DO think that their computers are complex. Most people DO want help. I get help from the geniuses all the time. Does that make me think that Apple products are more complex than those of Windows? Hardly.

Now I fully understand if you disagree with me. It seems that most of the rest of the world does. But I still have to wonder if the world is mad with arrogance, hubris and myopia. Not only don’t I think that these ads are going to go away, I think they’re going to become a staple of Apple’s advertising, perhaps for years to come.

Thoughts?

• Posted: 31 July 2012 12:09 AM #1

FalKirk - 31 July 2012 03:06 AM

Thoughts?

I enjoyed the new ads.

I think they are good.

But, I am not a good ad critic, probably smile

• Posted: 31 July 2012 12:14 AM #2

roni - 31 July 2012 03:09 AM

I think that it’s very hard to judge the effectiveness of any ad. We’re not experts and even the experts often get it wrong.

But the bile being poured on these ads absolutely baffles and perplexes me. People HATE these ads with a passion. While I think they both amusing and effective.

Posted: 31 July 2012 12:16 AM #3

As the resident mac genius for my parents, my brothers, my inlaws, my wife, a couple dozen coworkers and passing people in the airport, I still learn stuff from geniuses and regular users alike. Heck, my summer intern runs circles around me with Final Cut Pro, and she just started with the program four weeks ago.  Life demands humility. Thankfully Apple products are so incredibly over designed we will all continue to discover untapped potential around every corner. But only if we are humble and open to something new. Something better. Something magical.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 31 July 2012 12:22 AM #4

I agree, Falkirk.  I find them young and fun, while delivering the right messages to people about Apple’s unique assets - geniuses.  Sure, they’re probably too cute and simplistic, but, jeez, I don’t find them horrible or that far below Apple’s usual high standards for TV ads.

It seems these days people are just SO itching to say that Steve wouldn’t have allowed those, or Steve wouldn’t let Apple put out an iPhone 4S+ (instead of a whiz bang all-newly designed iPhone), or that without Steve innovation at Apple is dead.  Gimme a break!  Enough second guessing and armchair quarter-backing.  Let’s let TC execute for a bit before we pass judgment prematurely.

• Posted: 31 July 2012 12:48 AM #5

FalKirk - 31 July 2012 03:14 AM
    roni - 31 July 2012 03:09 AM

I think that it’s very hard to judge the effectiveness of any ad. We’re not experts and even the experts often get it wrong.

But the bile being poured on these ads absolutely baffles and perplexes me. People HATE these ads with a passion. While I think they both amusing and effective.

It doesn’t baffle me.  Most of this negative cheerleading is from sources like ValueWalk and Potential Trader, sites that read and sound like tabloid newspapers written and edited by non-native English speakers, specifically asians, even perhaps from Korea?  These sites are routinely attached to stock quote results in Google searches.  You don’t suppose Google is promoting South Korean astroturfing for Samsung, do you?  I can’t imagine a motive, can you?

Posted: 31 July 2012 12:49 AM #6

I…agree with you, FalKirk. 

Bunch of contrarians in this thread since EVERYONE ELSE hates them (right), but the Apple genius that played a bit part in the Get A Mac campaign now has a chance to shine.

Just you wait until the Apple Genius has a chance to indirectly talk about the products coming up in Apple’s product pipeline.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 31 July 2012 05:08 AM #7

I’ve seen the ads and think they’re great… especially the one in the airplane before take-off!

I’ve also read negative comments from bloggers who obviously have no sense of humor or have an axe to grind with Apple.  In fact, many of these so-called “computing experts”  already have a reputation for displaying anti-AAPL bias.

Same old story - sour grapes by AAPL haters… but they’re actually in a tiny minority compared to those new users who flock to the platform every day.

Posted: 31 July 2012 08:59 AM #8

I loved them all, all three of them. Especially the “Almost a Mac” one, with the sleazy guy selling they copycat standing in the doorway.

Of course they are MILES ahead of the celebrity Siri ones. I find those insulting, and are more attuned to the Paris Hilton crowd than these new carefully crafted beauties.

What made the “I"m a Mac vs PC” ads so devastatingly effective is they communicated a CLEAR SIMPLE POINT, mainly that Windows was hard to use, and clunky. These follow the same thematic, that computers can be FUN if you have a friend ready to help you if you need to get something done.

Stick with them Tim, people are talking about your advertising, yeah, even if they personally don’t like the ads, they are TALKING ABOUT THEM. That is worth its weight in criticisms.

[ Edited: 31 July 2012 09:02 AM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 31 July 2012 09:22 AM #9

Has anyone ever seen an article about good ads?  Negativity drives interest, which drives $$$.

• Posted: 31 July 2012 11:28 AM #10

Interesting responses. Pretty much all positive.

I thought I might get some serious flak. There are a LOT of haters out there and not just the usual naysayers. Even guys like John Moltz and Jim Dalrymple and many other Apple advocates that I’m too lazy to source have dissed the ads. Gruber has been supportive by not being negative, but even he has not come out to strongly support the ads.

Anyway, I think the overwhelmingly negative criticism just weird. The humor worked for me, I wasn’t insulted and I didn’t think that it put the Apple products in an unfavorable light. Other than the humor, which is subjective, I don’t really see the negative points that others seem to think are so obvious.

Of course, none of this matters anyway. The only thing that matters is how effective they are. And I suspect that they will be hugely effective. Fringe Apple users and PC users on the edge and those who own both Apple iPhones, iPads and PC products are going to eat these ads up.

Posted: 31 July 2012 12:24 PM #11

FalKirk - 31 July 2012 02:28 PM

I think the overwhelmingly negative criticism just weird.

Agreed. The ads are different from what went in the past. I think the Genius outfit is a bit BestBuy-ish but that’s nothing new. The ads themselves are amusing and silly. Most importantly I’ve not seen this much chatter about an Apple ad in a long time.

That’s effective.

I did not find them insulting. Labor Day was silly but the dolt father to be was no more insulting than Homer Simpson. It’s a caricature we laugh at not an example of typical Apple users. Probably was dead on. I know that because I’ve talked to a couple of people that thought they had a “Maclike” laptop and I think I Probably had that exact conversation with them. Mayday eas IMO the weakest of the group, but it was over the top and clearly satiric.

I’d remind those that are hating the ads to the point they’re predicting the imminent demise of Apple that the I’m a Mac ads started slow and were not universally celebrated. They developed over time.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 31 July 2012 12:30 PM #12

AAPL is up after the ads were released. Correlation? Probably not much.

The ads are fine, remember most Apple users are not as tech savvy as us here.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 31 July 2012 02:32 PM #13

I think it’s about time Apple heavily promoted the Genius bar. I think it is one of Apple’s strongest assets.  Ever tried to get assistance out of HP or Dell?  There is not even a comparison.

Like others have alluded to before: “Haters gonna hate”!

• Posted: 31 July 2012 02:45 PM #14

mactoid - 31 July 2012 05:32 PM

I think it’s about time Apple heavily promoted the Genius bar. I think it is one of Apple’s strongest assets.  Ever tried to get assistance out of HP or Dell?  There is not even a comparison.

Agreed. Via John Gruber at Daring Fireball:

Apple?s store experience is a great competitive advantage, but without ads like these, only existing customers know it. - Daniel Jalkut

• Posted: 31 July 2012 04:08 PM #15

geoduck - 31 July 2012 03:24 PM
    FalKirk - 31 July 2012 02:28 PM

I think the overwhelmingly negative criticism just weird.

Agreed. The ads are different from what went in the past. I think the Genius outfit is a bit BestBuy-ish but that’s nothing new. The ads themselves are amusing and silly. Most importantly I’ve not seen this much chatter about an Apple ad in a long time.

That’s effective.

I did not find them insulting. Labor Day was silly but the dolt father to be was no more insulting than Homer Simpson. It’s a caricature we laugh at not an example of typical Apple users. Probably was dead on. I know that because I’ve talked to a couple of people that thought they had a “Maclike” laptop and I think I Probably had that exact conversation with them. Mayday eas IMO the weakest of the group, but it was over the top and clearly satiric.

I’d remind those that are hating the ads to the point they’re predicting the imminent demise of Apple that the I’m a Mac ads started slow and were not universally celebrated. They developed over time.

+1!  I remember when the original Bud…weiss…er ads came out and I was left scratching my head wondering who approved them and what he was on.  They evolved over time into one of my favorite campaigns.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!