Apple’s new Genius Ads

Posted: 31 July 2012 06:34 PM #16

I’m pleasantly surprised to see so many positive reactions to these ads. I like them, too, but it seemed all weekend my Twitter stream was chock full of hatred for them.

They’re fun, they’re snarky and, most importantly, Apple’s finally back on the Mac advertising train. That’s the best part of all. Been a while since we’ve seen “PC Guy,” and I think “Genius Guy” is even better.

Ok, well, maybe he’s not *better*, but ... still good to see ads focused on the Mac. wink

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 31 July 2012 07:54 PM #17

+

Lee Dronick - 31 July 2012 03:30 PM

The ads are fine, remember most Apple users are not as tech savvy as us here.

Agreed, and likewise with all of the negative commentators out there. It reminds me of many peoples’ attitudes—mine included—when the original Mac came out: Must be a toy. Computers aren’t easy to use. Etc.

There’s a certain macho attitude that permeates the tech space. You see it with comments regarding Android vs. iOS, with Android supporters basically saying that Android is superior because it let’s them be “power users” and tweak the system, while iOS is a locked walled garden for sissies. Liikewise, AOL was for people not smart enough to use the “real Internet.” And Linux is the best OS there is, because I’m smart enough to install it on a toaster oven, ha!

I truly think that people with power users skills feel threatened when they see things like the Mac, iOS, and these new commercials touting how easy Macs are to use. It threatens their hard-earned skill-sets, hence the outpouring of venom.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 31 July 2012 08:17 PM #18

I bet lots of the venomous adherents hack a lot less than they’d care to admit.  Some may even drive automatics. LOL

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 31 July 2012 08:18 PM #19

Mav - 31 July 2012 11:17 PM

I bet lots of the venomous adherents hack a lot less than they’d care to admit.  Some may even drive automatics. LOL

You’ve made me spill my wine, Mav.

Signature

Posted: 31 July 2012 09:54 PM #20

I hope it was because you thought that was funny. wink

I’m not ashamed to admit I don’t drive a manual (though I actually think I can manage with a little practice).  The larger point…well…I guess it got across just fine.  Sorry ‘bout the wine. LOL

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 31 July 2012 10:10 PM #21

Stop and go city traffic “drove” me from having a vehicle with a manual transmission. Also the difference between MPG auto and manual is no longer much of a factor. I no longer do much in the way of auto repair, replace wiper blades, air filter, lamps, top off oil, and such. There was a time when I used to do my own brake jobs, head gaskets and such.

As to lifting the hood on my Macs. It is like with my autos, they are a way to get to there from here in as much style and comfort as I can afford.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 01 August 2012 12:56 AM #22

Tech people are terribly myopic. (To be fair, all people are terribly myopic.) Many of the negative comments I’ve read are about how the tasks mentioned in the Ads are self-evident and shouldn’t require any assistance. Yeah, right.

We here at the AFB love computers. We pay attention to them. We LIKE this stuff. The rest of the world just wants to get on with their lives. For the lucky ones, the computer is a tool that helps them get things done. They don’t want to spend one more second on computers than they have to.

For the unlucky many, the computer is an impediment to getting things done.

We should never assume that people are stupid just because they’re not like us…

...but we do it anyway.

Posted: 01 August 2012 02:55 AM #23

We techies are as much if not more so the victims of bad technology. After all, we end up supporting a lot of MS crap for work, family, friends, etc. And there is a kind of stockholm syndrome for bad tech. But it is so much nicer helping people out with their Macs.

See how happy the Apple genius seems in the ads? In an indirect way, its an ad targeting all the miserable techies stuck in MS Hell. It says, “There is a better way, and you too could be happy if you were helping people with their macs instead.”

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 01 August 2012 02:25 PM #24

I think the adds are executed very poorly and are not of apple quality.
    They make the brand look and sound like an average best buy electronics .. And look like co-op commercials !

Underlaying message sucks too.

Apple is about :

Simple, intuitive, powerful a d inspiring !

Not about U need a ginues to help u get through your work.

This add is in conflict with their mac vs pc campaign ...

Looks cheep and has terrible subliminal message!

• Posted: 01 August 2012 05:43 PM #25

My only issue with the ads is that the Genii (that’s how we referred to them when I worked in an Apple Store) are not the ones that will teach you how to use your iApps…that credit goes to the Creatives…

It is rare that you’ll see a Genius step out from behind the bar to show you how to put together a movie in iMovie or a picture book in iPhoto…

• Posted: 01 August 2012 06:23 PM #26

Asura - 01 August 2012 08:43 PM

My only issue with the ads is that the Genii (that’s how we referred to them when I worked in an Apple Store) are not the ones that will teach you how to use your iApps…that credit goes to the Creatives…

It is rare that you’ll see a Genius step out from behind the bar to show you how to put together a movie in iMovie or a picture book in iPhoto…

Welcome Asura! Look forward to seeing your future contributions to the AFB.

In regards to your point, I think you are nitpicking. Apple is not going to take the time in their 30 second commercials to break down who is going to help you and what their title is. The message is clear: Apple is here to help.

Yojimbo - 01 August 2012 05:25 PM

I think the adds are executed very poorly and are not of apple quality.

Lots and lots of people agree with you and I just don’t see it. The ads don’t seem of poor quality to me I all.

They make the brand look and sound like an average best buy electronics .. And look like co-op commercials !

Again, you’re in majority, but I VEHEMENTLY disagree. NO ONE provides help like Apple NO ONE. Not only do I think your view (which the majority appears to hold) is wrong, I think it’s completely backwards. The Ads distinguish Apple, in a good way, as the ONLY brand that gives you personal help when you need it.

That message is so powerful and so important, that I simply don’t see how the naysayers are missing it.

Underlaying message sucks too.

Apple is about :

Simple, intuitive, powerful a d inspiring !

Not about U need a ginues to help u get through your work.

This add is in conflict with their mac vs pc campaign ...

Looks cheep and has terrible subliminal message!

Again and again, you’re in the majority, but I JUST DON’T GET IT. I guarantee you that 90% of the people watching those ads don’t know how to do the things that the genius is demonstrating. Not only that. I guarantee that 50% or more of the people who are viewing those ads didn’t even know that those things CAN be done on their computers.

The Ads don’t make Macs look hard to use because people - real people - do not know how to do these things. These Ads are all about making it easy for buyers to do business with Apple. That’s business 101 and that’s about as fundamental and as important as it gets.

Posted: 01 August 2012 06:44 PM #27

They are probably testing the waters with “genius guy” and it’s a fair bet that “genius gal” is around the corner. They had her in the “I’m a Mac/PC” series - bring back Genius Gal!

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 01 August 2012 06:45 PM #28

rezonate - 01 August 2012 09:44 PM

They are probably testing the waters with “genius guy” and it’s a fair bet that “genius gal” is around the corner. They had her in the “I’m a Mac/PC” series - bring back Genius Gal!

I hope she’s a lot like the T-Mobile girl. smile

• Posted: 01 August 2012 07:10 PM #29

My lady used to be a Genius Gal…A LEAD Genius Gal in fact…

Thanks, Falkirk - I’m not trying to be nitpicky, but I have many friends who are Creatives and just want to make sure the credit is given to the proper group…Genii already get enough kudos (and flack)...

Posted: 01 August 2012 07:18 PM #30

Remember that most Apple Store patrons don’t really know from Genius and Creative employees, they just see someone wearing an AppleT-shirt.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster