Apple’s new Genius Ads

• Posted: 01 August 2012 07:30 PM #31

Asura - 01 August 2012 10:10 PM

My lady used to be a Genius Gal…A LEAD Genius Gal in fact…

Thanks, Falkirk - I’m not trying to be nitpicky, but I have many friends who are Creatives and just want to make sure the credit is given to the proper group…Genii already get enough kudos (and flack)...

Totally understood.

It’s a 30 second spot.  The T-Mobile girl represents 4G by riding a motorcycle for cripes sake. To get a message across in 30 seconds, one has to bend reality a little bit (or a LOT).

Posted: 01 August 2012 07:37 PM #32

Future ads may yet blend in Creatives and Concierges.

But really, who is the most recognized of all the Apple Retail employees?

Exactly.  Apple is following the KISS principle and I think it’ll pay off over time.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 02 August 2012 03:15 PM #33

[quote author=“FalKirk” date=“1343870596”

Again, you’re in majority, but I VEHEMENTLY disagree. NO ONE provides help like Apple NO ONE. Not only do I think your view (which the majority appears to hold) is wrong, I think it’s completely backwards. The Ads distinguish Apple, in a good way, as the ONLY brand that gives you personal help when you need it.

That message is so powerful and so important, that I simply don’t see how the naysayers are missing it.
    FalKirk
    I hear u on your perspective but I strongly feel the commercials deliver that message in a very cheep and uninspiring manner.

Posted: 02 August 2012 04:06 PM #34

It’s opinion.

Mercel disagrees, but I say:  check out Apple’s YouTube page.  Closely thing to a popular vote there is.  And there’s PLENTY of people to vote the commercials down out there if they really wanna.

“Basically” is having a tough time right now.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 03 August 2012 02:26 AM #35

The big problem with these commercials is that they exposed a high level of snobbery in the online Apple community.

“WAAAH! They look like Dell! WAAAH! Cook is destroying the brand!”

And the unforgettable war cry of the armchair CEOs and ignorant pundit everywhere:

“WAAAH!  This wouldn’t have happened if Jobs were still alive!”

The secret behind Apple’s continuing growth is the company’s adaptability:

We’re about computers.
    We’re about music players.
    We’re about phones.
    We’re about iPads
    We’re about TV boxes.

And a key part to this is how it can switch its marketing strategy to suit market conditions. What a lot of the complainers fail to understand is that there is little pointing selling to a clique. The appearance of exclusivity and aloofness is not going to fly while the economy is in the toilet, so Apple adapts. Their last guidance points to a tight quarter ahead, so Apple adapts.

These new ads are part of that adaptation: appeal to a broader range of buyers; show that the advantages of paying a little more for the real thing is worth it in the long run; drive more people into the shops and sell more kit.

I like ‘em.

Posted: 03 August 2012 06:54 AM #36

mrmwebmax - 31 July 2012 10:54 PM

+

Lee Dronick - 31 July 2012 03:30 PM

The ads are fine, remember most Apple users are not as tech savvy as us here.

Agreed, and likewise with all of the negative commentators out there. It reminds me of many peoples’ attitudes—mine included—when the original Mac came out: Must be a toy. Computers aren’t easy to use. Etc.

There’s a certain macho attitude that permeates the tech space. You see it with comments regarding Android vs. iOS, with Android supporters basically saying that Android is superior because it let’s them be “power users” and tweak the system, while iOS is a locked walled garden for sissies. Liikewise, AOL was for people not smart enough to use the “real Internet.” And Linux is the best OS there is, because I’m smart enough to install it on a toaster oven, ha!

I truly think that people with power users skills feel threatened when they see things like the Mac, iOS, and these new commercials touting how easy Macs are to use. It threatens their hard-earned skill-sets, hence the outpouring of venom.

Yeah, I’m with you, except for the “macho” thing. Android nerds are the opposite of macho. They have never known the touch of a woman.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 03 August 2012 10:33 AM #37

Yojimbo - 02 August 2012 06:15 PM

FalKirk
    I hear u on your perspective but I strongly feel the commercials deliver that message in a very cheep and uninspiring manner.

Most everyone in tech agrees with you, Yojimbo, including many staunch Apple advocates.

• Posted: 03 August 2012 10:40 AM #38

MuppetGate - 03 August 2012 05:26 AM

The secret behind Apple’s continuing growth is the company’s adaptability:

We’re about computers.
    We’re about music players.
    We’re about phones.
    We’re about iPads
    We’re about TV boxes..

Welcome MuppetGate! Look forward to seeing more of your future contributions.

Respectfully disagree with the above. The secret behind Apple is that they focus on the experience first and the technology second. Apple is not about computers, music players, phones, iPads and TV boxes. They’re about making the technology get out of the way so that you can get on with experiencing your life in a better way.