Apple-Samsung Trial

• Posted: 29 August 2012 01:22 PM #646

Mav - 29 August 2012 02:37 PM

If you use Qualcomm LTE chipsets we will sue you.

Quite abusive use of SEPs, Samsung.

And exactly the kind of issue they just lost.

Posted: 29 August 2012 05:12 PM #647

With Apple’s purchase of the Nortel patent’s you can pretty much assume the LTE suit will end in a cross liscence agreement because Samsung is shipping LTE handsets without paying Apple royalties and I would assume Apple already has coverage from Qualcomm, Microsoft & Nokia for LTE and they have a deal with Interdigital so in the big picture.  Samsung has quantity but Apple through Nortel has core LTE technology patents.  Taking Apple to court on LTE is a waste of time and money for Samsung and it will only hasten the loss of sub component deals.

Posted: 29 August 2012 06:08 PM #648

Samsung is surely just saber-rattling.  They didn’t sue over LTE in the new iPad did they?  There’s so many patent wars raging, I don’t even try to keep up.

Actually suing ANYWHERE over SEP (for LTE) will bring heaps of regulatory scrutiny and maybe even a little more public scorn.  And they all say _Apple_ is losing its “cool” factor.  Heh.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 29 August 2012 06:14 PM #649

I don’t know exactly what components besides memory, that Apple gets from Samsung, but their behavior is like they don’t give a damn how much they piss Apple off.  Makes me wonder if some of their components have already been designed out of the iPhone 5.

Posted: 29 August 2012 07:12 PM #650

Lstream - 29 August 2012 09:14 PM

I don’t know exactly what components besides memory, that Apple gets from Samsung, but their behavior is like they don’t give a damn how much they piss Apple off.  Makes me wonder if some of their components have already been designed out of the iPhone 5.

Samsung is supplying NAND, RAM & Displays as well as foundry service for the A series SOC.  The Foundry service is the elephant in the room as all the other parts are multi sourced and could be sourced from other manufacturers.  For foundry service the rumor had Taiwan Semi trying to win orders, but they have a different process then Samsung so it would require redesign.  For Sammy, Apple is by far their largest foundry customer.  Pretty much the entire Austin fab is dedicated to producing chips for Apple.  a switch would be a huge loss to Sammy and cause a much bigger impact then the 1B settlement.

[ Edited: 29 August 2012 07:15 PM by pats ]      
  • Posted: 29 August 2012 07:35 PM #651

pats - 29 August 2012 10:12 PM

Samsung is supplying NAND, RAM & Displays as well as foundry service for the A series SOC.  The Foundry service is the elephant in the room as all the other parts are multi sourced and could be sourced from other manufacturers.  For foundry service the rumor had Taiwan Semi trying to win orders, but they have a different process then Samsung so it would require redesign.  For Sammy, Apple is by far their largest foundry customer.  Pretty much the entire Austin fab is dedicated to producing chips for Apple.  a switch would be a huge loss to Sammy and cause a much bigger impact then the 1B settlement.

Thanks Pats.  If I was Apple I would be designing out that A Series dependency, even if I never actually pulled the trigger on it.  I can’t see anyone at Apple being comfortable with Samsung as sole source for such a crucial part.

Posted: 29 August 2012 08:38 PM #652

Interesting take at Foss Patents that injunctions are the real prize remedy in this trial, as I had posited earlier, but had lost faith in when all the reporting harped on the fact the injunctions only covered old-and-busted phones. Florian Muller thinks differently, no pun intended:

On this occasion I’d like to reiterate that the Galaxy S III will also be affected by a preliminary injunction if it infringes any of the relevant patents in a way that is no more than colorably different from the exemplary infringing devices listed by Apple. Judge Koh’s previous two preliminary injunctions against Samsung used a wording that undoubtedly includes other products than the ones named as examples of past infringement, even products that will be launched only after an injunction issues. You can find many quotes by financial analysts in the media who say such injunction will only affect older products. Those analysts presumably never read Judge Koh’s other injunctions.

Muller does think Judge Koh might possibly lower the compensatory award, but may also add the treble enhancement, so who knows on that. Regardless, I’m glad as an options investor, trying to capitalize on the next two product releases, that the hearings and any possible squirreliness by Judge Koh won’t happen until Dec 6.

I wouldn’t want a “Judge Reduces Apple Verdict” headline to be splashed all over during the iPhone and iPad Mini release period, even if it were a net gain for Apple WRT injunctions. Never underestimate the ability of the tech media to blow a story, as Steve Wildstrom points out.

The tech and financial media can remain incompetent a longer than you can remain solvent.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 30 August 2012 01:47 AM #653

pats - 29 August 2012 10:12 PM

Samsung just committed $3-$4b new spending on the Austin Fab.  If indeed the bulk of it is intended for Apple, I am sure there is a reciprocal commitment on the Apple part to purchase the output.  So not easy for either party to disengage from what appears a mutually lucrative multi-year arrangement.  Good to see that the foundry is in the US and not Asia.

Posted: 30 August 2012 08:54 AM #654

While the upgrade is probably supporting Apple, Qualcomm supposedly inked a deal with Samsung for wafers at Austin.  We will have to wait and see if the next SOC is still using Samsung, but either way Apple will rely on Samsung Foundry for a number of years as the A4, A5 & A5X would still need support on the 45NM node.  One other area where Samsung is important for Apple is memory and the future is 3D chips where the memory is bonded to the logic which if they stick with Samsung they gain an early advantage with memory bandwidth.  http://www.i-micronews.com/news/Samsung-Wide-IO-Memory-Mobile-Products-Deeper-Look,6503.html

[ Edited: 30 August 2012 02:16 PM by pats ]      

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:57 PM #655

In honor of RSE…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAtje5weAU0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Posted: 30 August 2012 04:10 PM #656

madmaxroi - 30 August 2012 04:57 PM

In honor of RSE…

That is HIL-larious!  LOL  Watched it twice. Very funny.

• Posted: 30 August 2012 04:12 PM #657

By the by, I wanted to thank everyone who stayed up with me and contributed to the discussion on Friday night when the jury verdict was announced. Such fun. Thanks to you all.

Posted: 30 August 2012 05:02 PM #658

Uh, didn’t the verdict come down around at like 3PM PST?  Not all that late.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 30 August 2012 05:18 PM #659

The art of negotiation as evidenced by the movie
    Going By The Book , a Korean adaptation of a Japanese movie, a Netflix link.

Posted: 30 August 2012 05:31 PM #660

FalKirk - 30 August 2012 07:10 PM
    madmaxroi - 30 August 2012 04:57 PM

In honor of RSE…

That is HIL-larious!  LOL  Watched it twice. Very funny.

I look good in this video…but my voice stinks.  As noted, my image is being used without my permission. I’m suing everybody on Monday.

And if you think the Federation is in trouble with Apple patents, wait until they enforce them against those Romulans!

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before