Mid 2010 13” Macbook pro video card issue - checkered display

• Posted: 02 August 2012 04:20 PM

I’ve already mailed Dave & John. Sorry for repeating it here again.

I am guessing people in the forum can also help me. Couple of days ago my macbook pro display gone wrong. Attaching the image

I was running snowleopard but has Lion (dual boot). The recent changes I’ve done today is, installed trial version of AirParrot app and tried to use Extended display (it seems to install a virtual driver or something)

The delta of changes done on the day are:

* Installed Airparrot trial
    * Updated Firefox 13 to 13.0.1
    * Tried newly bought wireless combo (Logitech K260)

Booting into OSX Lion also having the same issue. I’ve manually deleted AirParrotDriver.kext & APExtFramebuffer.kext from system and rebuilt kext cache

Another odd issue i notified is preview is not loading images, but quick look display the image from finder. (attached image) throws msg “invalid pixel format” & “invalid context” in console.app

I use acer 23” as secondar monitor, The issue is on both the display.

Only Safeboot works on snowleopard and lion
    Reason being it doesn’t load Quartz Extreme (related to graphics card?)

Since There is no apple retail store here in my country. I’m not sure the retail partners can solve my issue or understand.

I have been searching the web, I see there is an issue with Nvidia card. My warranty is expired last november, but I read the this hardware issue are covered for 4 years. Can someone share the kb article so I can share with the retail partners when sending the machine for repair.

I also tried resetting PRAM and SMC, still having the same issue. I clean installed Lion/MLion on new partition, the issue still persists. The ROM version of video card is still the same compared to the saved system profiler details saved on the day of purchase.

I can only safeboot, I checked for any extension updated by AirParrot but none of the kexts are touched since 2010/11

[ Edited: 02 August 2012 04:23 PM by palaniraja ]      
  • Posted: 03 August 2012 03:57 PM #1

reply from Dave.

Hi Palani raja

I think your assertion in the webpage you linked is correct: hardware problem. Likely the graphics chip. :(

Warm regards,
    -Dave

• Posted: 09 August 2012 05:09 AM #2

FYI:

I found that disabling Quartz with Quartz Debug utility clears the yellow grids

Since it is hardware issue, I have to replace the GPU/Board :(