Mountain Lion!  A Sleeper Upgrade

• Posted: 03 August 2012 12:36 AM

I’m surprised this is the first thread about OSX 10.8.  Am I the only early adopter?  It’s great for the mobile features that provide a level of integration I’ve been waiting for with the Mac and iPad/iPhone.  I even opened a Twitter account.

Some key features:

Notifications produces a vertical panel that drops with a new icon at the top upper right.  Your mail, calendar and twitter activity is all there at a glance, without having to necessarily launch the respective app

Reminders update across all iDevices.  Input is faster on the Mac’s keyboard so this will be my primary starting point.

Notes does the same thing,

Messages takes the place of iChat and offers quick texting on the desktop, syncing across my other iDevices. 

Keynote, Numbers and Pages files can use the iCloud service as a handy way to share documents.  You could do this before with Dropbox, but iCloud is built in, offering a more seamless experience.

Airplay mirroring with Apple TV from the Mac is cool and disruptive (Hulu Plus being the most obvious example)

Finally, perhaps a small thing, but the Galaxy desktop image is probably the best Apple has ever released.  Maybe it’s the Retina Display that’s driving my opinion, but no matter:  It’s inspirational, like daring you to ping the universe….

Congrats to Craig Federighi and the OSX team.  You guys rock.

[ Edited: 03 August 2012 02:44 PM by ByeTMO ]      

Posted: 03 August 2012 01:32 AM #1

I love Mountain Lion!

However I was a bit dissapointed to discover that Airplay Mirroring is restricted to 2011 or newer Macs - it was the feature I was most looking forward to using on my Macs (which are all 2010 or older).

Good excuse to buy a another new Mac!

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 03 August 2012 01:49 AM #2

The problem with Messages is that it does not work unless the other person signs up to it.

Posted: 03 August 2012 08:09 AM #3

ML borked the upper drive in my Mac Mini Server. Two weeks later it borked the second drive. Three time machine restores while troubleshooting = HUGE waste of time. Benefit for me is four round trips to the Apple Store over an hour away (otherwise can’t justify the gas just to ‘hang out’ at the AS). Bad news for me is a major video project coming due next week and running a ghetto setup because the store does not have any 500gb hard drives in stock. Really?!? Thank goodness for Apple Care though - paid for itself now.

ML gave a noticeable speed boost to all macs upon which installed. Have not upgraded the iMac belonging to Mrs. Rez because VMWare 3 does not run on ML.  Haven’t really noticed any other software compatibility issues at Chez Rez, which has been nice.  But you know what they say about ‘even’ MacOS updates: wait for the bug fixes to come out in the ‘odd’ updates!  There are s till a few little things going on that force reboots, wake from sleep issues, other hangs and RAM allocation issues.  In general the most seamless upgrade I’ve ever done.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 03 August 2012 10:22 AM #4

rezonate - 03 August 2012 11:09 AM

ML borked the upper drive in my Mac Mini Server. Two weeks later it borked the second drive. Three time machine restores while troubleshooting = HUGE waste of time. Benefit for me is four round trips to the Apple Store over an hour away (otherwise can’t justify the gas just to ‘hang out’ at the AS). Bad news for me is a major video project coming due next week and running a ghetto setup because the store does not have any 500gb hard drives in stock. Really?!? Thank goodness for Apple Care though - paid for itself now.

ML gave a noticeable speed boost to all macs upon which installed. Have not upgraded the iMac belonging to Mrs. Rez because VMWare 3 does not run on ML.  Haven’t really noticed any other software compatibility issues at Chez Rez, which has been nice.  But you know what they say about ‘even’ MacOS updates: wait for the bug fixes to come out in the ‘odd’ updates!  There are s till a few little things going on that force reboots, wake from sleep issues, other hangs and RAM allocation issues.  In general the most seamless upgrade I’ve ever done.

Well, for the reasons you cited, I’ve not updated my business computer.  Parallels runs ML with Windows 7, provided you update the former, which has some risk.  I’m quite pleased with Parallels, but the last Parallels update screwed with my network and lost half a day fixing it. 

Judging from ML reviews on the App Store, it has been a relatively safe update.

Posted: 03 August 2012 11:52 AM #5

Update went seamlessly. I’m still exploring the new features. Notifications is handy. Speed might be a bit better, not sure I’ve only had my new MBP for a month so it ALWAYS seemed fast. For some reason the two finger swipe to zoom the screen gesture was turned off. It took me a few days to find out how to fix that. All in all I like it.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 03 August 2012 12:15 PM #6

Mixed results on upgrading. Done two machines, both going from latest version of Lion. One was flawless. One threw a KP on the first boot after starting the installer (where it is supposed to boot into the installer program and run the installation). Had to boot with option held down to be able to select the installer and then it proceeded….. slowly.

Also ran into the “negative time to go” syndrome. The counter went to -12 minutes time to go before jumping back up to 19 minutes, then sat at “less than one minute” for quite a while. FInally finished and rebooted, which took probably 2 minutes to finally get to the finder. Mail was problematic and hung things up for a bit. Everything was slow. Rebooted to reset PRAM and things seem to be better.

Not my normal experience with OS upgrades from Apple. Was a little disappointed with the second machine upgrade.

YMMV.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 03 August 2012 01:35 PM #7

Burgess - 03 August 2012 04:32 AM

I love Mountain Lion!

However I was a bit dissapointed to discover that Airplay Mirroring is restricted to 2011 or newer Macs - it was the feature I was most looking forward to using on my Macs (which are all 2010 or older).

Good excuse to buy a another new Mac!

One thing I find annoying about AirPlay (at least for me) is that there’s at least a two-second delay to audio. I.e., if I’m watching, say, the Daily Show on my MBA but streaming the audio to my AirPort Express, the audio lags the video by about 2,000 ms.

I wonder if others have noticed the same thing.

Signature

“The Artist, seeking Beauty, discovers Truth;
    The Scientist, seeking Truth, discovers Beauty.”

Posted: 03 August 2012 02:36 PM #8

My 4-rear old iMac has not run this smoothly and quickly since the day it arrived.  I did have days of trouble getting SuperDuper** to clone my drive, but that’s now resolved itself, somehow.  This seriously feels like a brand new Mac.

** As a side note, Dave Nanian of Shirt Pocket answered my whining SuperDuper emails immediately, with clear, concise advice.

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics

• Posted: 03 August 2012 02:43 PM #9

iJack - 03 August 2012 05:36 PM

My 4-rear old iMac has not run this smoothly and quickly since the day it arrived.  I did have days of trouble getting SuperDuper** to clone my drive, but that’s now resolved itself, somehow.  This seriously feels like a brand new Mac.

** As a side note, Dave Nanian of Shirt Pocket answered my whining SuperDuper emails immediately, with clear, concise advice.

I’m a big fan of Carbon Copy Cloner myself.  He has a ML version up and running.

Posted: 03 August 2012 02:57 PM #10

Mercel - 03 August 2012 05:43 PM

“I’m a big fan of Carbon Copy Cloner myself.  He has a ML version up and running.”

I actually ended up using CCC to do the first (after a clean install of ML) complete backup, after waiting 7, 11 and 20 hours for SD to do the job.  In the end, CCC took 26 hours and 6 minutes to do it, for a mere 105 GB of files.  My real fear was that SD wasn’t going to be able to do a scheduled Smart Update every night, but the first two nights after the initial backup, it has done it in 35 minutes, so I’m quite happy.

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics

Posted: 03 August 2012 03:02 PM #11

Flawless upgrade here on a Boot-Camped 2011 iMac.

Loving Safari 6 and the omnibar.

Notifications is a definite improvement, especially when recieving iCal notifications and alerts. Looking forward to more integration from other Apps.

Hoping for some additional account integration in the future.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 03 August 2012 03:37 PM #12

I installed Mountain Lion the day after it was released, on my iMac, then the following day on my MacBook. It went mostly smooth, no real complaints. I will install it on my wife’s MacBook Pro early next week.

My biggest whine is having to upgrade my CS4. I think this time I will just get Design Standard. I have learned to live without DreamWeaver, mostly I want PhotoShop and Illustrator. Pages currently fills my bill for pagelayout.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 03 August 2012 04:09 PM #13

All the CS4 applications work great with Mountain Lion on my iMac, no problems at all.
    Even Suitcase Fusion works!

Posted: 03 August 2012 04:25 PM #14

daveynb - 03 August 2012 07:09 PM

All the CS4 applications work great with Mountain Lion on my iMac, no problems at all.
    Even Suitcase Fusion works!

For me they mostly work, but are finicky. For example in PhotoShop if I drag a layer to a different order the program will crash. DreamWeaver will not keep my server login and password, I need to reenter it when I open the app. I see on blogs and forums that other people are also having problems with CS4 and Lion or Mountain Lion. I have learned to save files frequently.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 03 August 2012 11:22 PM #15

One problem I’ve noticed involves adding attachments in Mail.  If I have 5 photos in a separate folder on the desktop (Files named A.jpg, B.jpg, C.jpg, D.jpg and E.jpg) and in Mail I try to attach them by highlighting the entire list, I not get the files attached out of order such as C, B, D, A, E.  This is frustrating since before I’d had 20 small pictures in the order of the folder and get that same order—now they’re all out of order.  Is there any fix for this?