Posted: 03 August 2012 10:57 AM

2013 loosely speaking.  Kind of like auto-dealers who say their cars are 2013 models when it’s still August here.

1. The year of Retina Displays: 2013.  By the end of the year, most Apple devices will be Retina-oriented.
    2. Siri:  Major update in the next 2 months.  You can be sure the ad campaign will be interesting.
    3. Mountain Lion: renewed focus on Voice control and dictation.  For some of us, this is a big deal.  It’s here now.  Traction is just getting started.  Early adopters know.  I foresee a nice ad campaign here IF this passes the real world tests of noise, dialects and grammar parsing.
    4. SSD Macs.  Slow but sure, more SSD Macs, especially laptops (duh).
    5. Strategic Purchases and long term alliances for iWallet / Passbook:  Either in hardware, software or customer base. 
    6. Music, Movie and App Stores get the facelift by Oct 26 at the latest
    7. Apple makes a push to get its stores ready for holiday launch.  Remodeling plans are finalized.  It’s just a matter of getting the contractors on the job.
    8. New International stores get new emphasis.  More countries for sure.  Apple is going global and they are going to act like it.
    9. Currently, Apple is solidifying its base customers with prime retail stores.  US flagship stores and near flagship in prime locations are maxed out—if you think that Apple growth is limited around its current stores and customer base.  Instead, Apple tests stores in smaller communities and better relations with its partners, big and small. (I’m going out on a limb here.  But the nature of growth in the US is different these days.)  There are high-end communities which are served by third-party retailers, some of which are tiny.  Apple has ignored them so the third-party retailers have a chance.  This is a long-term project. 
    10. Security enhancements are finally seeing the light of day with Mountain Lion and more.  This is not the end.  Malware downloads and phishing should be everyone’s concern.  In practicality, the situation is worse than ever, not better. 
    11. Cloud of all kinds.  The smoother the cloud, the more the customers enjoy being “locked” in.
    12. Hardware enhancements:  4 G, WiMax, wide adoption of 512 GB SSD, finger print authentication, Kinect, wireless recharging, NFC (near field communications).  These are out there, but is everything slower to adopt than I would like ?
    13. Samsung finally pays up to Apple.  Over $ 2 billion.
    14. Tech community gains more leverage with Facebook because of Facebook’s many “issues”. 
    15. Apple data centers.  I suspect we will see more of them in other countries.
    16. Apple hardware partners expand except for Samsung.

There is no sign yet that I would be able to eliminate my bank with Passbook and related apps. 

There’s no sign yet that content providers have lost their dominance.  Its a long game.

Macro-economic conditions have an effect on Apple hardware releases ?  Maybe in the past.  This can only go on so long.  Apple will release hardware when they are ready.

[ Edited: 03 August 2012 04:24 PM by Tetrachloride ]      
  • Posted: 03 August 2012 12:29 PM #1

17. China Mobile

• Posted: 03 August 2012 12:48 PM #2

dolemite - 03 August 2012 03:29 PM

17. China Mobile

Most important. Hoping that the new iPhone release is China Mobile compatible from day 1.

Posted: 03 August 2012 09:00 PM #3

17.  Probably to be addressed in 2012, even if China Mobile-compatible iPhones won’t ship until late 2012/early 2013.

4.  SSD Macs.

YES PLEASE.  Heck, I’ll buy up to flash storage on my next iMac if I have to. 

Retina really isn’t that necessary considering that there’s about 3.7M pixels on the current 27” iMacs for pixel hounds.  And most desktop graphics cards, that is to say the non-top-end quad-core 2GB DDR10 dual-GPU whatever cards, won’t be able to render/scale utterly ridiculous resolutions too well, as you can see the current Retina MacBook Pro struggle to do (admittedly quite gracefully, until you try to scroll). 

But that spinning HD?  It’s the last major performance bottleneck for Macs, and I’m determined to not have to deal with it going forward.  Flash has gotten “good enough” - more than good enough.  Time to move on.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 August 2012 01:46 AM #4

Tetrachloride - 03 August 2012 01:57 PM

2013 loosely speaking.  Kind of like auto-dealers who say their cars are 2013 models when it’s still August here.

1. The year of Retina Displays: 2013.  By the end of the year, most Apple devices will be Retina-oriented.
    2. Siri:  Major update in the next 2 months.  You can be sure the ad campaign will be interesting.
    3. Mountain Lion: renewed focus on Voice control and dictation.  For some of us, this is a big deal.  It’s here now.  Traction is just getting started.  Early adopters know.  I foresee a nice ad campaign here IF this passes the real world tests of noise, dialects and grammar parsing.
    4. SSD Macs.  Slow but sure, more SSD Macs, especially laptops (duh).
    5. Strategic Purchases and long term alliances for iWallet / Passbook:  Either in hardware, software or customer base. 
    6. Music, Movie and App Stores get the facelift by Oct 26 at the latest
    7. Apple makes a push to get its stores ready for holiday launch.  Remodeling plans are finalized.  It’s just a matter of getting the contractors on the job.
    8. New International stores get new emphasis.  More countries for sure.  Apple is going global and they are going to act like it.
    9. Currently, Apple is solidifying its base customers with prime retail stores.  US flagship stores and near flagship in prime locations are maxed out—if you think that Apple growth is limited around its current stores and customer base.  Instead, Apple tests stores in smaller communities and better relations with its partners, big and small. (I’m going out on a limb here.  But the nature of growth in the US is different these days.)  There are high-end communities which are served by third-party retailers, some of which are tiny.  Apple has ignored them so the third-party retailers have a chance.  This is a long-term project. 
    10. Security enhancements are finally seeing the light of day with Mountain Lion and more.  This is not the end.  Malware downloads and phishing should be everyone’s concern.  In practicality, the situation is worse than ever, not better. 
    11. Cloud of all kinds.  The smoother the cloud, the more the customers enjoy being “locked” in.
    12. Hardware enhancements:  4 G, WiMax, wide adoption of 512 GB SSD, finger print authentication, Kinect, wireless recharging, NFC (near field communications).  These are out there, but is everything slower to adopt than I would like ?
    13. Samsung finally pays up to Apple.  Over $ 2 billion.
    14. Tech community gains more leverage with Facebook because of Facebook’s many “issues”. 
    15. Apple data centers.  I suspect we will see more of them in other countries.
    16. Apple hardware partners expand except for Samsung.

There is no sign yet that I would be able to eliminate my bank with Passbook and related apps. 

There’s no sign yet that content providers have lost their dominance.  Its a long game.

Macro-economic conditions have an effect on Apple hardware releases ?  Maybe in the past.  This can only go on so long.  Apple will release hardware when they are ready.

I didn’t read this whole list. Once I got to SIRI I decided to respond. This is the biggest part of 2013. Apple has hundreds (thousands?) of engineers working on SIRI. This is the next big thing. Speech, that is. I don’t know if SIRI will win but Apple is investing heavily to make sure SIRI is the winner and I never bet against Apple. SIRI will likely come to all Apple products in the near future and the use cases will expand rapidly…or at least as rapidly as Apple feels the public can absorb them. This is a very big deal. The deal with auto manufacturers shows just how serious Apple is taking this and I think the market is still underestimating it. SIRI everywhere is my call for 2013 (or 2014…or 2015)...it’s coming.

Posted: 04 August 2012 05:56 AM #5

I’m onboard with SIRI as the next big thing but not on the desktop. Heaven help us if a Starbucks full of Mac users are all interacting with devices this way. Or a cubicle farm.  With iOS, SIRI is the best natural link to iCloud resources.  I think Apple is building the computer from Star Trek’s Enterprise, except your communicator works anywhere you go. There is a big computer in the cloud (where you have provided access to all your documents and eContent), and you tap your communicator badge to say “computer, locate Mr. Warf” and it tells you.  Heck, SIRI already does this after a fashion.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 04 August 2012 02:32 PM #6

At this point in time Google Voice seems as good as Siri, and sometime better. However, Siri has the marketing and buzz around it, and seems to making inroads (e.g. cars). It’s going to be an interesting battle with Google going forward with OS, voice, maps.

I hope Apple gets into search. Perhaps this is one of their secret projects they will shock us with. If not, they can just borrow Google’s algorithms since they don’t believe in patents or IP.

Posted: 04 August 2012 03:54 PM #7

Apple should have a continuing advantage in ease of use and product focus, particularly in iOS.  It’s never been about the spec sheet with Apple.

I do curse at Siri more than I’d like, but I also haven’t tried Siri 1.0 yet.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 August 2012 05:38 PM #8

Mav - 04 August 2012 06:54 PM

Apple should have a continuing advantage in ease of use and product focus, particularly in iOS.  It’s never been about the spec sheet with Apple.

I don’t ever use Siri for anything yet. I’ll wait another year or so before I really try it. I’m not an early adopter so I’m fine just waiting until I am “forced” start using it like everyone else.

Posted: 04 August 2012 05:42 PM #9

“Set a timer”?

“Remind me”?

Really?  Siri is everyday useful for that even if less than perfect.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 August 2012 06:20 PM #10

Mav - 04 August 2012 06:54 PM

I don’t understand how you can trade options in Apple and understand the company without owning the latest products.

Posted: 04 August 2012 07:29 PM #11

Try again, omacvi.

There’s a reason I said Siri 1.0:

Either your eyes glaze over when I post (understandable) or you’re just trollin’.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 August 2012 08:36 PM #12

Mav - 04 August 2012 10:29 PM

Try again, omacvi.

There’s a reason I said Siri 1.0:

snip….....

JMO, but Siri is really one of the few stinkers in Apple’s bag of tricks. I was dumbfounded when Siri wouldn’t make a phone call (to someone in my contact list) because Siri wasn’t connected to the net. Really?

Does 1.0 fix this? Anyway, I do expect Siri to improve but the original release is really a steaming mound: Steaming mounds of worthless code

flame suit ON ~~~~~  LOL
        JohnG

Edit: Back on thread subject: The biggest driver in 2013 is getting ip5 into China Mobile. Everything else will be a distant second.

[ Edited: 04 August 2012 08:38 PM by johnG ]      

Posted: 04 August 2012 08:42 PM #13

Hate Siri if you want.  It won’t change until Siri gains offline functionality, which will take at least another year from iOS 6 and who knows, may not ever happen.

No offline Siri has been a problem since October ‘11.  Google Voice suffers from the same problem.

Siri isn’t useful if you don’t want to give it a try.  Simple.  As.  That.  Timers, alarms and reminders by themselves can be great for that limited subset of people who can get regular use out of those features. (/some sarcasm)

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 August 2012 08:47 PM #14

I like Siri way better than the Genius ads.  LOL

Not sure I understand why people hate on Siri.  It’s beta and it works more often than it doesn’t for me.  Maybe the difference is dialect, accent or just english.  Where I live, we have perfect diction and grammar…  :innocent:

By the way, I think the testimony of Schiller was excellent.  His lips were loaded, of course, but overall he did a great job.  Is Siri a deposed witness?

Posted: 04 August 2012 08:49 PM #15

Mav - 04 August 2012 11:42 PM

Hate Siri if you want.  It won’t change until Siri gains offline functionality, which will take at least another year from iOS 6 and who knows, may not ever happen.

No offline Siri has been a problem since October ‘11.  Google Voice suffers from the same problem.

Siri isn’t useful if you don’t want to give it a try.  Simple.  As.  That.  Timers, alarms and reminders by themselves can be great for that limited subset of people who can get regular use out of those features. (/some sarcasm)

I did try it and it failed miserably for both initiating calls and basic web searches. Apple rightly labeled this SW as Beta and I just hope that claim shields Apple from big damages in the Class Action lawsuit that has been filed. My guess is that Apple will have to pay some token amount to settle this lawsuit.

cheers
        JohnG