Posted: 04 August 2012 09:10 PM #16

Mercel - 04 August 2012 11:47 PM

I like Siri way better than the Genius ads.  LOL

Not sure I understand why people hate on Siri.  It’s beta and it works more often than it doesn’t for me.  Maybe the difference is dialect, accent or just english.  Where I live, we have perfect diction and grammar…  :innocent:

By the way, I think the testimony of Schiller was excellent.  His lips were loaded, of course, but overall he did a great job.  Is Siri a deposed witness?

I admit to, how to put it diplomatically, “being mean to” Siri. LOL  But I didn’t have to try too hard to integrate Siri into my life in little ways - and I’m someone who was “happy” with a $0 Nokia dumbphone before diving headfirst into the iPhone world.  Also, all that cursing at Siri?  I’m sure it’s anonymously “listened to” by the iOS dev team to help improve response.  Siri is a multi-year play, and to expect anything close to perfection out of voice recognition/AI anytime soon is unreasonable, even when you have an AI nerd like Forstall running the iOS/Siri show.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 August 2012 10:25 PM #17

Mav - 04 August 2012 11:42 PM

Timers, alarms and reminders…

Calendar entries, notes, messages and dictation.

For the main list: maps.

Posted: 04 August 2012 10:27 PM #18

I don’t use Siri for those four, actually.  Not a fan of the dictation system.

Maps?  Well, that’s being addressed in about a month…

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 August 2012 11:46 PM #19

I expect Maps, like Siri & iCloud, will improve greatly in 2013.

• Posted: 06 August 2012 05:54 PM #20

Tuffett - 04 August 2012 05:32 PM

At this point in time Google Voice seems as good as Siri, and sometime better. However, Siri has the marketing and buzz around it, and seems to making inroads (e.g. cars). It’s going to be an interesting battle with Google going forward with OS, voice, maps.

I hope Apple gets into search. Perhaps this is one of their secret projects they will shock us with. If not, they can just borrow Google’s algorithms since they don’t believe in patents or IP.

If you copy someone else’s work, your work is only as good as theirs, never better.  Apple is all about better.  Ergo, I don’t see (even jokingly) Apple “copying” Google’s search algorithms.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 06 August 2012 06:42 PM #21

Mercel - 04 August 2012 11:47 PM

Not sure I understand why people hate on Siri.  It’s beta and it works more often than it doesn’t for me.  Maybe the difference is dialect, accent or just english.  Where I live, we have perfect diction and grammar…  :innocent:

I have noticed that when first exposed to Siri, it is used more like a game.  After a short while people start looking into what Siri CAN do.

If I hadn’t been a year into my iPhone 4 contract, I would have bought the iPhone 4S just for SIRI and all its imperfections.  Thankfully I was, so I’ll be upgrading to the next iPhone, and hopefully a much improved SIRI.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 07 August 2012 01:49 AM #22

good thread.

One major trand lurking in 2012 thats almost ready to explode:

Multi Device data Plans. (Mobile data on one account spread between multiple devices)

Dont underestimate how good this will be for apple, it will undoubtedly improve margins as the cellular data model of the iPad becomes a more popular choice. Also expect an cellular/LTE option for Macbooks.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 07 August 2012 10:12 AM #23

I think that iCloud is the future of Apple.

The iPod was introduced in late 2001. Although many didn’t know it at the time, it was superseded by the iPod Touch and the iPhone in 2007. That means that the iPod had a 6 year run.

The iPhone is already 5 years old. It’s been a superstar, but its days as Apple’s primo product are coming to an end.

The iPad will naturally fill the iPhone’s shoes, but iCloud is even more important. There are now three categories of devices - phone, tablet and notebook/desktop. Most will own two categories and many will own all three. iCloud allows for seamless data integration between devices. People will choose the device that best suits there needs and find their data always available, no matter what device they choose.

While analysts focus on minute changes to the phone and the tablet, they ignore the big picture. Apple has great design, yes. And Apple has great hardware too. But Apple, at its core, is a human interface company. While other strive to promote their technology, Apple strives to make it invisible. iCloud is moving towards seamless, no-thought, always works, device interconnectivity. This is the future of Apple - and its the future of computing too.

Posted: 07 August 2012 10:46 AM #24

FalKirk - 07 August 2012 01:12 PM

I think that iCloud is the future of Apple.

The iPod was introduced in late 2001. Although many didn’t know it at the time, it was superseded by the iPod Touch and the iPhone in 2007. That means that the iPod had a 6 year run.

The iPhone is already 5 years old. It’s been a superstar, but its days as Apple’s primo product are coming to an end.

The iPad will naturally fill the iPhone’s shoes, but iCloud is even more important. There are now three categories of devices - phone, tablet and notebook/desktop. Most will own two categories and many will own all three. iCloud allows for seamless data integration between devices. People will choose the device that best suits there needs and find their data always available, no matter what device they choose.

While analysts focus on minute changes to the phone and the tablet, they ignore the big picture. Apple has great design, yes. And Apple has great hardware too. But Apple, at its core, is a human interface company. While other strive to promote their technology, Apple strives to make it invisible. iCloud is moving towards seamless, no-thought, always works, device interconnectivity. This is the future of Apple - and its the future of computing too.

I agree completely. Since its introduction I thought that iCloud will become Apple’s most important asset!
    Therefore such things should not happen: Apple Admits That Its Screw-Up Contributed To A Wired Reporter Getting Hacked Hard.
    And if they do happen Apple has to respond very quickly!

Posted: 07 August 2012 11:48 AM #25

18.  Apple implements new search engine as default in place of Google in the next 12 months.

my post on this here http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/forums/viewthread/80427/P135/

Posted: 06 September 2012 12:24 PM #26

1. The Year of Retina Display

6. Strategic Purchases and long term alliances for iWallet / Passbook:  Either in hardware, software or customer base.

Meanwhile, still in 2012 awaiting iOS 6, iPhone 5 and iPad Mini, plus unknown Mac updates.

1.b.  iPad Mini:  I can envision iPad mini’s with or without Retina.    Retina would blow the socks off the competition.  Low price would amputate Kindle sales, never mind the socks.

6.b.  Apple is testing iOS 6 with Walmart at checkout.    This could be epic.  Yet another way to “lock” in customers for the long run.

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:15 AM #27

1c.  iMacs coming, tho not necessarily with retina display.    As for me, the 2010 iMac 27” is doing great for me.  Maybe I should get a high end game just to test out the graphics.

Posted: 07 September 2012 11:18 AM #28

6b.  As long anticipated, AAPL continues in the battle with content providers.  This week, music.  Will Apple compete with Pandora ?    I’ve never used Pandora. 

As for myself, I’m setting up an automated timer for iTunes Radio.