Help! I need help with an Applescript for Messages.app to send SMS messages to a phone.

Posted: 03 August 2012 02:06 PM

For stress testing a phone app that my company is stress testing, I need to automate sending a fair number of SMS messages to a phone. I’m thinking that Messages.app and Applescript might be a good set of tools to use for this Could somebody provide any information on how this can be accomplished? Pretty please!

I saw the tip shown here, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9325150/how-to-send-a-message-using-ichat-and-applescript, and it looks like it’s close to what I need to start with, but I need to be able to send to just a specific mobile number, so I’d prefer to be able to just use that number as a fixed value in the script. Again, this is NOT going to be used to spam anybody’s phone. Said messages will be going to a test device, only!

Signature

Just remember one thing….

• Posted: 09 August 2012 01:17 PM #1

Is it SMS or the iMessage protocol that you need to test? Because Messages itself can’t send SMS directly. It can communicate with an iPhone that is using its phone number as its iMessage ID, but it’s not actually sending an SMS when it does that.

Posted: 09 August 2012 01:35 PM #2

Thanks for the reply, David, but an alternative means to complete the test (without Messages, and on a Windows PC) has already been found. As per what you asked, I’d forgotten that Messages can’t send an SMS, but just messages to iPhones.

Signature

Just remember one thing….

• Posted: 09 August 2012 01:43 PM #3

Great, well glad you got a different solution figured out! smile