Weekend Updates - Archive

Posted: 03 August 2012 07:22 PM

The bar is OPEN!!!

smile

[ Edited: 08 August 2012 11:58 PM by lovemyipad ]      

Posted: 03 August 2012 07:46 PM #1

Soda, bartender.  Free refills?

Better than last week.  Still rebuilding and making idiot mistakes, but it was a good week to start getting back on track.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 03 August 2012 07:59 PM #2

Have you all been reading the tweets on the trial…so interesting.  Seems SJ in 2011 had been advised by the chief of iTunes that there was a market and a need for the 7” tablet and he was extremely receptive to the findings.  It’s all over the press right now.  A few more tidbits…all so interesting.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 03 August 2012 08:12 PM #3

Phoebear611 - 03 August 2012 10:59 PM

Have you all been reading the tweets on the trial…so interesting.  Seems SJ in 2011 had been advised by the chief of iTunes that there was a market and a need for the 7” tablet and he was extremely receptive to the findings.  It’s all over the press right now.  A few more tidbits…all so interesting.

Of course he was. Have people not read his biography? Jobs may have had many convictions about his products, but he loved to change his mind.

• Posted: 03 August 2012 08:17 PM #4

And there is more:
    Eddy Cue “I believe there will be a 7-inch market and we should do one”

So if it was rumored before…I’m thinking people will be jumping all over this as something that is more than just “possible” but actually “probable”...which means..could be a good week coming up.

And one last note from several who were streaming/tweeting:
    “Wow. Latest Samsung documents suggest they looked at Apple UI and borrowed elements”

It’s amazing….really.

[ Edited: 03 August 2012 08:20 PM by Phoebear611 ]

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 03 August 2012 08:18 PM #5

I’ll take my whiskey on the rocks. Better make it a double. King of idiot mistakes right here.

Had sold some $615 weekly calls against stock and LEAPS. Closed them at the last minute, or so I thought. I used a limit order with what seemed like a sure fill but only got half filled into the market close. Lots of should’ve, could’ve, would’ve swimming in my head now….

I guess I’m going to learn what it’s like to be assigned. 

:evil:

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 03 August 2012 08:26 PM #6

Phoebear611 - 03 August 2012 11:17 PM

And there is more:

So if it was rumored before…I’m thinking people will be jumping all over this as something that is more than just “possible” but actually “probable”...which means..could be a good week coming up.

“Wow. Latest Samsung documents suggest they looked at Apple UI and borrowed elements”

It’s amazing….really.

There’s a whole thread on this, Phobes.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 03 August 2012 08:30 PM #7

JDSoCal - 03 August 2012 11:26 PM
    Phoebear611 - 03 August 2012 11:17 PM

And there is more:

It’s amazing….really.

There’s a whole thread on this, Phobes.

Thanks - must have missed it - will re-direct!

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 03 August 2012 08:42 PM #8

Apple II+ - 03 August 2012 11:18 PM

I’ll take my whiskey on the rocks. Better make it a double. King of idiot mistakes right here.

Had sold some $615 weekly calls against stock and LEAPS. Closed them at the last minute, or so I thought. I used a limit order with what seemed like a sure fill but only got half filled into the market close. Lots of should’ve, could’ve, would’ve swimming in my head now….

We barely closed above $615. I’m no expert, but can’t imagine a lot of MM’s want $615 Apple shares from you when they probably could have bought them in the aftermarket for at or even under that?

Do you have big gains on your shares? If so, oh well, you lock in 2012 cap gains rates, so there’s that.

Let us know when you hear something.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 03 August 2012 08:53 PM #9

Apple II+ - 03 August 2012 11:18 PM

What were your BTC terms?  All-or-none or similar?  If not, I think you’re going to learn what it’s like to be… _partially_ assigned.

And you never know, locking in long-term capital gains this year may not be a bad idea from a tax planning perspective.

Did you buy all at once?  If not, call your broker - use the power of Lot Selection?.  Heck, you should call your broker anyway.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 03 August 2012 08:56 PM #10

moved from intraday….

rickag - 03 August 2012 10:44 PM
    LEAPfrog - 03 August 2012 09:14 PM
    LEAPfrog - 03 August 2012 03:14 PM

Is there a way to tell if institutional ownership percentage is down due to an increase in retail ownership, or institutions selling off positions?  It’s a 18-19M share difference…..

To answer my own question

http://eresearch.fidelity.com/eresearch/evaluate/fundamentals/ownership.jhtml?stockspage=ownership&symbols=aapl

It appears the institutions have sold off 17.5M shares this quarter. Since the stock price has gone up, it appears retail investors have picked up the slack.  I would thick the institutions would want to be loaded with AAPL prior to the divy ex date.  Those 17.5M unloaded shares represents $46+M in unrealized div’s.  Why wouldn’t they be buying back in next week?  Or is my line of thinking way off??

Thank you for the information.  Now what does this mean?

Are institutions waiting for the WTF sale?  Is the 2.65 per share per quarter insulting to the income funds?

Signature

Because Longer is better…....

Posted: 03 August 2012 10:54 PM #11

Almost forgot.

Enjoy the weekend!  Could be easier than usual wink ...it’s been a very good week for AAPL longs.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 03 August 2012 11:29 PM #12

I’m happy to see Apple close above the highest OI call strike—it reminds me of the big run early this year.

Posted: 03 August 2012 11:53 PM #13

trespif - 04 August 2012 02:29 AM

I’m happy to see Apple close above the highest OI call strike—it reminds me of the big run early this year.

+1

If SPY can just hang in there a bit longer, maybe go for a short squeeze over 140, we could possibly follow suit in taking out 620 next week…

Posted: 04 August 2012 12:17 AM #14

The “Monday effect” _could_ be in play.  That alone could be good for a little head start.  AAPL taking a relative breather is no bad thing, even though a potential mechanism for that (stupid OpEx) could be the cause.

AAPL almost levitated over the indices all week.  I don’t think that was an accident.

Granted, anything can and will happen but I think AAPL has found its footing again, along with the rest of the market.  NASDAQ 3000 isn’t too far away and US market sentiment isn’t horrible.  It could be a very quick upswing but I think there’s a decent chance of it happening.

Just to be “safe(r)”, I’ve kept back a little extra cash and pushed the majority of my reallocated risk to Apr 13.  But MACD-h on the daily chart _might_ be a tell.

[ Edited: 04 August 2012 12:28 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 04 August 2012 12:57 AM #15

I think that if we take out 620 on Monday, we could be positioned to be testing the ATH much sooner than any of thought on July 25th.  It feels like we have some momentum, and the dividend, and the iPhone 5, and the iTV, and split rumors, and…