Apple @ NASA

• Posted: 06 August 2012 01:23 AM

Anyone else watching the Live feed for the Mars Curiosity landing?  Nice to see Macs everywhere.  Here’s a screen shot i grabbed. 

“When it’s mission critical…”

Posted: 06 August 2012 05:55 AM #1

Can’t remember seeing one laptop in any shot that wasn’t a Mac… nice to see and light years beyond what we’re used to seeing from a large, rather conservative organization such as NASA.

Posted: 06 August 2012 12:32 PM #2

MacKauai - 06 August 2012 08:55 AM

Can’t remember seeing one laptop in any shot that wasn’t a Mac… nice to see and light years beyond what we’re used to seeing from a large, rather conservative organization such as NASA.

Also seeing a great deal of AAPL products on TV and in movies these days, including “Political Animals” last night on USA network.  Perhaps this is their new strategy, to go along with mediocre commercials (other thread).

Speaking of commercials, interesting how others are using the original Apple commercials with piano music in the background, and a male voice talking slowly (e.g., HP has one now, and Google with their new tablet).

Posted: 07 August 2012 01:03 PM #3

I know that NASA as a whole has not been particularly keen on Macs (understatement alert) but it as been my impression that JPL has always had many many Macs in house. And other Unix machines. I know there’s gotta be someone here who has a definitive answer.

[ Edited: 07 August 2012 03:39 PM by craigf ]      

Posted: 07 August 2012 07:35 PM #4

+

A local gold/silver buyer/seller in my area uses an iMac as a cash register (point-of-sale terminal, whatever). The only other time I saw that was at an area 3rd-party Apple reseller. Also, I was recently at a University of Pittsburgh research center. One of their PHP software developers was using a new iMac as well.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 08 August 2012 01:09 AM #5

craigf - 07 August 2012 04:03 PM

NASA as a whole has not been particularly keen on Macs.. but it as been my impression that JPL has always had many many Macs in house.

I have designed and built millions of square feet of facilities for both disciplines, so saying engineers like Windoze; scientists use Macs, is not too far adrift.

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics

Posted: 08 August 2012 04:31 PM #6

iJack - 08 August 2012 04:09 AM
    craigf - 07 August 2012 04:03 PM

NASA as a whole has not been particularly keen on Macs.. but it as been my impression that JPL has always had many many Macs in house.

I have designed and built millions of square feet of facilities for both disciplines, so saying engineers like Windoze; scientists use Macs, is not too far adrift.

Engineers like Windows because junk like Solid Works is windows only.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 12 August 2012 03:11 PM #7

Hello fellow AFB’ers. As a NASAcivil servant at Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, MD, I can confirm that Macs are everywhere. Our lab machines are typically Windoze boxes; some on the network, some off. The amount of updates and patches required of the Windows machines typically kill them in terms of performance. Thus, those machines requiring Internet access are usually slow and almost intolerable to use. Others are still running XP or 2000 and are running custom built pieces of lab equipment. As such, these older OS machines are not allowed on our network. As for “office computesr” I see the majority of my colleagues slowly switching to Macs. In most of my meetings the MacBook Pros outweigh the other laptops by a factor of 3. Mission Control is a whole different beast. I had the honor of supporting the Hubble Servicing Mission 4 (SM4) in 2009 and spent the entire mission in JSC’s payload mission control center (POCC). I was able to use my MacBook Pro to connect to our shuttle telemetry servers and use the machine for my work in the control center during the mission (after IT had their way with it). In all though, rest assured that macs are VERY prevelant throughout NASA.

Posted: 12 August 2012 03:22 PM #8

rmhe1999 - 12 August 2012 06:11 PM

In all though, rest assured that macs are VERY prevelant throughout NASA.

LOL

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics