Moved to a new Database Server Last Night

Posted: 10 August 2012 09:49 AM

As you likely saw in the Announcements forum, we had some scheduled downtime (about 30 minutes) last night as we moved the entire TMO database to a new server. While we don’t see nor expect any issues with this particular move, I did want to make sure you all knew, and to start a thread in case you *do* see anything wacky. Just let us know.

Additionally, as some of you know, we are in the final steps of an entire redesign of TMO, which includes an upgrade to v2.x of ExpressionEngine (our CMS and forum engine). That will be rolling out when it’s ready, likely in a week or two. All user accounts will live on and all data will migrate over, of course. wink

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 10 August 2012 10:17 AM #1

Initial cut is that the move has, for some reason, made forum administration much faster. Post deletion and account deletion/banning is much improved. Not sure if it is just my imagination or not…

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 10 August 2012 10:28 AM #2

Speed is excellent for me.

Posted: 10 August 2012 11:47 AM #3

Indeed, yes, there’s been a significant speed improvement due to a number of factors. We’re on new (and significantly more resource-heavy) hardware, for one, and we’ve also (finally!) abstracted ourselves away from the one app we use that requires MySQL 5.0.x, so we’re up on 5.5.x now, and that on its own likely adds to the speed benefit. So… yes. Speed should *definitely* be a part of what we all see out of this.

Signature

• Posted: 10 August 2012 11:56 AM #4

Working well so far. Everything seems to load nice and fast.

Posted: 10 August 2012 04:12 PM #5

We looking at a significantly different forum experience?  Hey, as long as it’s better! wink

EDIT:  I think I’m noticing a speed difference, which is definitely welcomed.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 10 August 2012 04:30 PM #6

Mav - 10 August 2012 07:12 PM

We looking at a significantly different forum experience?  Hey, as long as it’s better! wink

Indeed, quite a bit different. If you’re interested in taking a look at the alpha (moving to beta soon, I suppose!), and giving feedback, please do let me know. I’ll get you access.

Signature

Posted: 12 August 2012 12:26 PM #7

Any plans for an app? I often check AFB on my iPhone, but the UI isn’t ideal. Thanks.

Signature

Study the natural order of things and work with it rather than against it…  ? Tao Te Ching