Weekend Updates

Posted: 10 August 2012 05:27 PM

The bar is open! smile

[ Edited: 12 August 2012 07:51 PM by lovemyipad ]      

Posted: 10 August 2012 07:03 PM #1

Coffee, Netflix and a new set of LEAPS.

Its a sunny day and a pot roast for a sandwiches.

Posted: 10 August 2012 07:14 PM #2

Tetrachloride - 10 August 2012 10:03 PM

Coffee, Netflix and a new set of LEAPS.

Its a sunny day and a pot roast for a sandwiches.

YUM!!!

Posted: 10 August 2012 07:32 PM #3

Glad the week is over.  A few of these, Jets pre-season football and I’m good.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 10 August 2012 08:30 PM #4

Apple responds to Samsung (apologies to Horace).

Signature

Posted: 10 August 2012 08:45 PM #5

Well, this was a pretty interesting week.  I was half expecting we’d go under $600.  At this rate, I think we’ll be able to get to high $600s, maybe even $700-ish, by October, what with all the expectation, new iPhone, new iMacs, new lowered expectations for earnings, etc.  A complete bonus would be a massive court win, iPad Mini, and/or Apple TV rumblings.  More rumors might even be better than actual products which can never meet the hype out there.

I’m hanging on tight with my core JAN13 700/680 position.  Shifted a little bit to JAN14 960/950s, and started to scale into APR13 720/700 position, but I’m not expecting much change unless something dramatic happens (we dip down under 550, or go all the way to 800 before January).

Posted: 10 August 2012 11:33 PM #6

How did you think we were going sub-600?  I was thinking 605-610 at the very worst.  Interested in your short-term thesis for the week.

Now, I lightened up on trades until today, but I never saw a deep correction.  Actually, the markets are basing quite well considering.  I’m nervous about the AMZN/SPY hedges still on the table, but we’ll see how it goes. 

iPad - thanks for indirectly scaring me about my momo trade. LOL  But hey, we disagree, so that’s awesome. :D

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 11 August 2012 01:15 AM #7

The next 10 weeks

August 10-31:  Rumors fly on iPhone 5, Retina Macs, 10.8.1, iOS 6 beta.  The majority of analysts and investors are looking way past FYQ4 results.  Speculation rampant on iPad nano existence.  Stock split not out of the realm of possibility.

Sept 1-30: Special conference schedule for Wednesday Sept 12 announced.  Samsung not invited.

Let’s rewind.  Investors know all these things.

What do investors not know—maybe.  Supplier’s manufacturing capacity, the exact millions who will open their wallets for the holiday seasons and the nature of outcome of the trial.  Plus the usual macro-economic issues.

Posted: 11 August 2012 01:23 AM #8

Tetrachloride - 11 August 2012 04:15 AM

The next 10 weeks

August 10-31:  Rumors fly on iPhone 5, Retina Macs, 10.8.1, iOS 6 beta.  The majority of analysts and investors are looking way past FYQ4 results.  Speculation rampant on iPad nano existence.  Stock split not out of the realm of possibility.

Sept 1-30: Special conference schedule for Wednesday Sept 12 announced.  Samsung not invited.

Let’s rewind.  Investors know all these things.

What do investors not know—maybe.  Supplier’s manufacturing capacity, the exact millions who will open their wallets for the holiday seasons and the nature of outcome of the trial.  Plus the usual macro-economic issues.

..and your price range guesstimate for the rest of August???

Signature

“My mind hovers on hummingbird wings.”  D. Eggers

Posted: 11 August 2012 01:46 AM #9

608-650.

We are 36 days from from the likely iPhone 5 announcement.  I suspect that TC will drop a pre-announcement of additional new Apple product.

Apple rumor mill is as hot as its been since Think Secret and As The Apple Turns.

Posted: 11 August 2012 01:49 AM #10

As the Apple Turns….

indeed!

thanx for your input.

Signature

“My mind hovers on hummingbird wings.”  D. Eggers

Posted: 11 August 2012 01:56 AM #11

Tetrachloride - 11 August 2012 04:46 AM

608-650.

We are 36 days from from the likely iPhone 5 announcement.  I suspect that TC will drop a pre-announcement of additional new Apple product.

Apple rumor mill is as hot as its been since Think Secret and As The Apple Turns.

Given the event is supposedly Sep. 12, a media invite in early September is very likely.  That’s less than 30 days. 

New iPhone buzz should be ramping up even before the invite.  So AAPL’s “quiet period” will be pretty short.

Ah, Think Secret and ATAT…fun times.  ATAT’s last update was about the iMac G5…aka the “soapbar” iMac.

[ Edited: 11 August 2012 01:59 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 11 August 2012 01:04 PM #12

The lull before the storm. 

Except the lull is not everywhere.  Supply chain, advertising, OS updates, Software & Media Store (music, movies, apps) updates.

As far as my wallet is concerned, the more exciting the the music and movie updates (search quality, selection, pricing), the more likely I can drop Netflix.  Netflix has been getting a workout.  But they are vulnerable to a fickle customer.  Cable companies video ?  not on the radar.  Its streaming and not much else.    I did buy one physical DVD a couple weeks ago.

• Posted: 11 August 2012 02:03 PM #13

Tetrachloride - 11 August 2012 04:04 PM

The lull before the storm. 

Except the lull is not everywhere.  Supply chain, advertising, OS updates, Software & Media Store (music, movies, apps) updates.

As far as my wallet is concerned, the more exciting the the music and movie updates (search quality, selection, pricing), the more likely I can drop Netflix.  Netflix has been getting a workout.  But they are vulnerable to a fickle customer.  Cable companies video ?  not on the radar.  Its streaming and not much else.    I did buy one physical DVD a couple weeks ago.

Netflix accounts for about 90% of my TV watching these days, and the only DVDs I’ve bought in the last couple of years, were at yard sales.  Before these, the last NEW DVD I bought was The Band of Brothers series.

I did buy The King’s Speech off of iTunes.  Love that movie.  So I guess my buying is about quality, not price.  My daughter and I were just talking about that, and the programming coming out of AMC and HBO vs the reality TV coming out of the big boy networks.

I’ll bet there’s a huge market of viewers (willing to pay for quality) that have been abandoned by the networks in favor of the cheaply produced, brainless, sitcom (complete with canned laughter so the viewer knows when something funny was said)/reality TV program.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 11 August 2012 02:30 PM #14

Gregg Thurman - 11 August 2012 05:03 PM

Netflix accounts for about 90% of my TV watching these days

My daughter and I were just talking about that, and the programming coming out of AMC and HBO vs the reality TV coming out of the big boy networks.

I’ll bet there’s a huge market of viewers (willing to pay for quality) that have been abandoned by the networks in favor of the cheaply produced, brainless, sitcom (complete with canned laughter so the viewer knows when something funny was said)/reality TV program.

Ditto. I dropped my Dish service in January and now have my entertainment provided by Apple (iTunes/AppleTV) and Netflix (DVD only). I did the math and figured I could save several hundred dollars a year by just paying my monthly Netflix subscription (for movies and older TV series) and using my iTunes account to subscribe to current TV series.

The AMC and HBO shows are pretty good. I also like a lot of British series. I tend toward the mysteries/police dramas (Midsomer Murders, Inspector Lewis, George Gently, etc.), some SciFi (Doctor Who, Outcasts, Primeval, etc.), and other dramas (Downton Abbey, Young James Herriot, etc.). I rarely watch sitcoms, though I’ve enjoyed the ones with Tim Allen (Home Improvement and Last Man Standing) and a British one called Only Fools and Horses.

95% of the shows offered on Cable/Satellite bundles are dreck. So called “reality shows” are the absolute worse, in my opinion.

• Posted: 11 August 2012 02:59 PM #15

Way off topic, but since moving my daughter (Brittany) to Lawrence KS for her graduate degree, I’ve been scraping wallpaper from her rental walls.  Mind you this wallpaper has been up for at least 40 years.  My arms are about to give out for good.  The bright spot is that we’re almost done.  Then comes the spackle repairs of assorted nail holes and cracks, then primer and color coat.  Great way to spend two weeks in retirement.

I do enjoy watching Brittany in homemaker mode though.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.