Weekend Updates

• Posted: 11 August 2012 03:27 PM #16

Gregg Thurman - 11 August 2012 05:59 PM

Way off topic, but since moving my daughter (Brittany) to Lawrence KS for her graduate degree, I’ve been scraping wallpaper from her rental walls.  Mind you this wallpaper has been up for at least 40 years.  My arms are about to give out for good.  The bright spot is that we’re almost done.  Then comes the spackle repairs of assorted nail holes and cracks, then primer and color coat.  Great way to spend two weeks in retirement.

I do enjoy watching Brittany in homemaker mode though.

Lawrence is a great little town. I lived there for 5 years. Mass street is so much fun.

• Posted: 11 August 2012 03:48 PM #17

huskerrx - 11 August 2012 06:27 PM
    Gregg Thurman - 11 August 2012 05:59 PM

Way off topic, but since moving my daughter (Brittany) to Lawrence KS for her graduate degree, I’ve been scraping wallpaper from her rental walls.  Mind you this wallpaper has been up for at least 40 years.  My arms are about to give out for good.  The bright spot is that we’re almost done.  Then comes the spackle repairs of assorted nail holes and cracks, then primer and color coat.  Great way to spend two weeks in retirement.

I do enjoy watching Brittany in homemaker mode though.

Lawrence is a great little town. I lived there for 5 years. Mass street is so much fun.

Mass St and the old homes surrounding the downtown, and the congenial nature of the people is what sold us on Lawrence. The Masters program is what sold Brittany on KU.?

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 11 August 2012 05:44 PM #18

“Great way to spend two weeks in retirement”.

When one is a parent, retirement is never an option.

Posted: 11 August 2012 06:44 PM #19

incorrigible - 10 August 2012 10:32 PM

Glad the week is over.  A few of these, Jets pre-season football and I’m good.

Personally, I prefer beer, but to each his own.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

• Posted: 11 August 2012 09:20 PM #20

My personal favorite:

Posted: 11 August 2012 10:44 PM #21

Hi folks, just want to brag a bit. We held a retirement ceremony after my 24 years in the U.S. Military (4 Academy plus 20 commissioned), and then celebrated my birthday. I gave myself an 8gb ram upgrade and a 240gb SSD as the boot drive for my Mac Mini Server (late 2009). The thing just screams, especially after I also swapped in a 7200 drive as the media scratch drive. (In the process I noticed the Apple “genius” had previously installed one of the wifi antennas backwards and sheared off the wire, which was fixed in two minutes with a soldering iron. Idiots.)

Drinks started Friday with a couple cases of Long Island’s North Fork wines for about 100 guests. Pindar, Laurel Lake, Osprey’s Dominion and Palmer wineries were all represented. If you’ve never done a tour of the North Fork wine country you should seriously consider treating yourself next time you’re in the Hamptons. smile

The actual ceremony was themed “The Academy Awards” and video vignettes were entirely produced on Macs. It was with great pleasure that we dismantled a 1200-person auditorium’s prewired PC and jacked in a 2007 MacBook to run huge video files - without a glitch. My boss had never used iMovie’11 before Monday and got complements on his dozen clips. I used GarageBand to do the voiceover introducing the MC. And Final Cut Pro X was used to produce the 20 minute feature presentation, compiled by two editors who had never used the program before Monday - my brother and me.

We are totally hooked on FCPX. With retirement behind me and now among the 16 million unemployed, we might finally complete his media production studio and go into business. Perfect time to be an entrepreneur. All enabled by Apple.

Now, back to these half-empty bottles of wine. wink

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 11 August 2012 11:32 PM #22

Congrats Rezonate.

Everyone should have the retirement of their choice and their dreams… grin

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 12 August 2012 12:08 AM #23

Congrats Rezonate.

I am a fan of the North Fork and the wines. For a number of years I’ve spent a long weekend every September sampling the wines. A college buddy’s family have had a summer house on Hashamomuck Pond for a couple generations. Some of Pindar’s whites make a great sangria, Shinn’s Wild Boar Doe and Bedell’s reserve wines are some of my favorites.

Posted: 12 August 2012 12:22 AM #24

Big congrats to you Rezonate and thanks so much for your service to the country!

cheers
        JohnG

Posted: 12 August 2012 01:48 AM #25

Bragging rights are certainly deserved, Rezonate.

Sticks at a job for 20 year ?  3 was my tops. 

Saves the day with software that was newly opened ?    I’m no video artist, so I take my hat off once again. 

Best wishes to you and your family.

Posted: 12 August 2012 03:20 AM #26

Gotta give Guy Adami his due credit here.  He finished the Ironman NYC (his first triathlon), and with that 17-hour time limit, with not much time to spare.  Congratulations to him.  (Redler the T3Live guy obviously finished in a much faster time.)

Sadly, there was one death at the event:  http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-11/male-competitor-dies-in-new-york-city-ironman-triathlon

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 12 August 2012 03:25 AM #27

Mav - 12 August 2012 06:20 AM

Gotta give Guy Adami his due credit here.  He finished the Ironman NYC (his first triathlon), and with that 17-hour time limit, with not much time to spare.  Congratulations to him.  (Redler the T3Live guy obviously finished in a much faster time.)

Sadly, there was one death at the event:  http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-11/male-competitor-dies-in-new-york-city-ironman-triathlon

I prefer my triathletes the same way I prefer my analysts: Finishing at the front of the pack, not in the back.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 12 August 2012 07:20 AM #28

MicroCenter is discounting the new iPads—-$40 off or $459 +tax.  Must pick up in store.

Does this mean they are discounting because the launch of another iPad is close at hand?  Maybe….cashier didn’t know.  I got one from the Tustin, CA Microcenter.  They have about 10 left.

So far, love it…...

• Posted: 12 August 2012 10:50 AM #29

rezonate - 12 August 2012 01:44 AM

Hi folks, just want to brag a bit. We held a retirement ceremony after my 24 years in the U.S. Military (4 Academy plus 20 commissioned), and then celebrated my birthday. I gave myself an 8gb ram upgrade and a 240gb SSD as the boot drive for my Mac Mini Server (late 2009). The thing just screams, especially after I also swapped in a 7200 drive as the media scratch drive. (In the process I noticed the Apple “genius” had previously installed one of the wifi antennas backwards and sheared off the wire, which was fixed in two minutes with a soldering iron. Idiots.)

Drinks started Friday with a couple cases of Long Island’s North Fork wines for about 100 guests. Pindar, Laurel Lake, Osprey’s Dominion and Palmer wineries were all represented. If you’ve never done a tour of the North Fork wine country you should seriously consider treating yourself next time you’re in the Hamptons. smile

The actual ceremony was themed “The Academy Awards” and video vignettes were entirely produced on Macs. It was with great pleasure that we dismantled a 1200-person auditorium’s prewired PC and jacked in a 2007 MacBook to run huge video files - without a glitch. My boss had never used iMovie’11 before Monday and got complements on his dozen clips. I used GarageBand to do the voiceover introducing the MC. And Final Cut Pro X was used to produce the 20 minute feature presentation, compiled by two editors who had never used the program before Monday - my brother and me.

We are totally hooked on FCPX. With retirement behind me and now among the 16 million unemployed, we might finally complete his media production studio and go into business. Perfect time to be an entrepreneur. All enabled by Apple.

Now, back to these half-empty bottles of wine. wink

Glad to hear u enjoy the wines out here.  My wife was the wine maker at Bedell for since 2005 and moved to Macari vineyards in 2010….next time your in the area, send me a message and we will give u a tour of the cellar.  I am not biased but she makes the best wine around wink

• Posted: 12 August 2012 12:21 PM #30

Eventide posts new 12 month price target - $950.  I find his analysis thorough and most certainly agreeable. 

http://seekingalpha.com/article/801661-apple-price-target-950-per-share?source=yahoo