Weekend Updates

• Posted: 12 August 2012 01:01 PM #31

I was lucky enough to attend several Olympic events during the past fortnight and was especially pleased to see the very large number of MacBooks being used by the press reporting on the games. In the darkened sporting arenas the illuminated Apple logos on their laptops were easy to spot.

However I am sure Samsung, one of the sponsors of the Games, were not amused grin The Olympic authority had employed many ‘brand police’ to protect the sponsors’ exclusivity rights within the Olympic site and non-authorised logos were supposed to be taped over!

• Posted: 12 August 2012 02:23 PM #32

Good article illustrating how Apple has weaponized its balance sheet.  Love it.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/07/31/apples-most-overlooked-weapon-its-balance-sheet.aspx

Posted: 12 August 2012 05:40 PM #33

Motley Fool has had a spotty record over the past several years, IIRC.  This is one of the good articles.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 12 August 2012 06:02 PM #34

Mav - 12 August 2012 08:40 PM

Motley Fool has had a spotty record over the past several years, IIRC.  This is one of the good articles.

Worse than Seeking Alpha?

Posted: 12 August 2012 06:11 PM #35

Heh.  Didn’t follow Motley Fool quite enough to draw any conclusions. 

Seeking Alpha is the epitome of “diamond in the rough” article searching.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 12 August 2012 06:52 PM #36

thefish1680 - 12 August 2012 01:50 PM
    rezonate - 12 August 2012 01:44 AM

Now, back to these half-empty bottles of wine. wink

Glad to hear u enjoy the wines out here.  My wife was the wine maker at Bedell for since 2005 and moved to Macari vineyards in 2010….next time your in the area, send me a message and we will give u a tour of the cellar.  I am not biased but she makes the best wine around wink

Hey fish - thanks for the invite. We always blaze past Macari on our way to and from the Orient Point ferry but have yet to stop. Looks like a classy place and on some prime soil: sunny and open but still fairly close to those critical coastal breezes. Wife is from LI and I got hooked when flying out of Gabreski many summers ago. We have an even year tradition of dropping “way too much” for the cellar. Odd years always seem to be the best vintages out there. Will definitely connect. If you (or an AFB regular) is ever in the Sedona area we can get you a barrel room tour at Page Springs Cellars.

Off to plan which AAPL shares to unload so I can pay for this weekend… smile

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 12 August 2012 06:54 PM #37

Congrats on your retirement Rez.  Y’know, you always seemed younger to me.  Must be the ski goggles and the “z” in your username. wink

(I’m half-kidding here.)

[ Edited: 12 August 2012 06:56 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 12 August 2012 08:09 PM #38

There was no link posted but there was a tweet put out by Joseph Weisenthal that I thought I would share ... have not gotten verification (trying to find the story - no link provided) of it on Bloomberg but maybe someone here has seen it:

“Hmm… *APPLE TO INTRODUCE ITV IN DECEMBER: ECONOMIC DAILY SAYS—Bloomberg”

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 12 August 2012 08:11 PM #39

Mav - 12 August 2012 09:54 PM

Congrats on your retirement Rez.  Y’know, you always seemed younger to me.  Must be the ski goggles and the “z” in your username. wink

(I’m half-kidding here.)

I’m beginning to think you may be the youngest person on here, Mav.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 12 August 2012 08:12 PM #40

Nope.  I’m a 30-something, which makes me younger than most _active_ posters as of the past month, but there are younger AFBers.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 12 August 2012 08:19 PM #41

Phoebear611 - 12 August 2012 11:09 PM

There was no link posted but there was a tweet put out by Joseph Weisenthal that I thought I would share ... have not gotten verification (trying to find the story - no link provided) of it on Bloomberg but maybe someone here has seen it:

The wifi TV !

Signature

“My mind hovers on hummingbird wings.”  D. Eggers

Posted: 12 August 2012 08:44 PM #42

Phoebear611 - 12 August 2012 11:09 PM

http://twitter.com/thestalwart

http://udn.com/UDN/UDNENGLISH/edn.htm

Anybody in the Republic of China now ?  (Taiwan).

Ching-wen, somebody to pick up a copy of the Economic Daily News ?

Posted: 12 August 2012 08:49 PM #43

As always, I defer to Dalrymple as Emperor Confirmation.  He’s said nothing about Apple television rumors.

Wi-Fi is an absolute given on any Apple television product.  Gotta have something to AirPlay to. smile

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 12 August 2012 09:20 PM #44

Mav - 12 August 2012 09:11 PM

Heh.  Didn’t follow Motley Fool quite enough to draw any conclusions. 

Seeking Alpha is the epitome of “diamond in the rough” article searching.

More misses than hits on either site, but MF is worse. Evan is one of the better staff writers.

• Posted: 12 August 2012 09:29 PM #45

Mav - 12 August 2012 08:40 PM

TMF didn’t have to do any research to write this article. Horace Dediu has been writing about Apple’s cash management strategies for a couple years. He has even pointed out a correlation between capital asset expenditures and future income.

At the bottom of this “research” report is a subscription solicitation. That’s the real point of the article.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.