Mountain Lion Upgrade causing issues due to hard drive fault. Complicated!

• Posted: 13 August 2012 05:41 PM

Hi all

Have been really enjoying the Mac Geek Podcasts for a long time now, but first time on the forums. I’m having some real issues with my IMac for the first time after 3 years trusty service! I hope you can help.

I recently upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion. The install proceeded, but I received some error messages regarding my hard drive as I did the install. I’m seeing some strange behaviour following the Mountain Lion install - some functionality e.g. notification centre is not working as it should (or indeed does on my Macbook pro).

Following the install, I tried to repair my hard drive, but it seems that the corruption is on the partition that contains the OS. As such disk utility will not let me repair the disk, only verify it.

I have been dutifully backing up my data using Time Machine and as USB connected external drive and now have a series of back ups with both my Lion OS and new backups with my Mountain Lion OS

From the reading I have done, it sounds like the most sensible thing for me to do would be to reformat the hard drive totally, repair it and then perform a totally clean install of Mountain Lion.

I am naturally worried about doing this, and had some questions that I was hoping you can help with:

1. What would the best sequence to do this? Are there any idiot proof guides that you can recommend?

2. If I were to reformat the hard drive to repair the errors in the OS partition - then how do I go about reinstalling the OS given that it is only in the App Store? If I have totally refomatted the hard drive, the how do I get the system up and running again?

3. Should I use my time machine back ups to restore my data after a clean install or use another 3rd party application for my data?

I know that some of these questions might seem a bit dumb, but naturally, I am really concerned about wiping a hard drve without knowing that I can get my system back without expensive repairs!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Greeny

• Posted: 14 August 2012 02:35 AM #1

Step First: If your system is still accessible you should take all time machine backup on an external hdd to safeguard your data.

Step Second: If system is inaccessible then you need to format the system and have to use any third-party data recovery software for recovery of your data.

Installation process is similar as you done earlier or you can check on Apple forum.

• Posted: 14 August 2012 01:03 PM #2

I am also having the same issue. I had upgraded to Mountain Lion a couple weeks ago. Although everything seemed to be working fine - my computer all of sudden will now not even book up. The Apple shows when the computer turns on - then it goes to a circle w/a line thru it. I cannot access the desktop.

I tried to reinstall the original OX system via the disk and the computer still shows the same error. I tried going thru Disk Utility and reinstall Mountain Lion - the system which took several hours to download - still did not work and went back to the circle w/line thru it upon restart of the system. I’ve had my macbook pro laptop 13” for just a little over a year w/out any prior problems.

My primary issue is that all the backups I had done on my external hard drive were deleted after having to re-format my external hard disk. So I have only my music and movies backed up.

What can I do to get this fixed. My system is out of warranty and I did not purchase the Applecare service. Thanks for any advice.

[ Edited: 14 August 2012 01:32 PM by MacbkDJ ]      

Posted: 20 August 2012 01:01 PM #3

One thing you can do is to boot to the Mountain Lion recovery partition and try to repair the drive from the Disk Utility running there. Because you’re not booting from your main system partition it *is* repairable here (or at least Disk Utility will attempt repairs).

Failing that, you could try a 3rd party utility like Drive Genius or DiskWarrior, and I’ve definitely seen those repair corruption that Disk Utility could not.

Lastly, there’s always the option to hold down Cmd-S on boot which brings you to the command line where you can run the fsck command that Apple recommends. That works quite well in many cases, too.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.