Hdmi on iMac ?

• Posted: 15 August 2012 06:21 PM

Hi There

A few months ago on the MGG podcast, I believe Dave mentioned that some iMacs shipped with an hdmi port built in. I can’t find any mention of this in MacTarcker. Does anyone have an iMac with built in hdmi interface, or know anything about them ? If so would I be able to hook up my Humax PVR & record directly from it If I had the appropriate software on the Mac ?

Cheers

Hermboy

• Posted: 18 August 2012 11:12 AM #1

Any Mac with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt Port can connect via HDMI.  Some early Mini Display Port MacBook Pros I know didn’t send audio out that port, but I’m not sure about whether that spilled over to early Mini-Display Port iMacs. 

However, all recent Macs I know of will output both audio and video out via an HDMI connector.  I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro that was a “no audio” version, but my more recent MacBook Airs (11” and 13” mid-2011) send both audio and video out the port.

Apple sells a Mini DIsplayPort to HDMI adapter to which you’d add an HDMI cable.  There are also vendors that make Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cables.  I’ve used a couple I’ve purchased from Amazon to hook up to both a portable projector I have for presentations and directly to a television for watching video content.

The Thunderbolt connector on current Macs is the same form as the Mini Displayport connector, and it will function just like that port for video.

• Posted: 18 August 2012 01:34 PM #2

Thank you, I shall get some cables and start experimenting !

Cheers

Peter

Posted: 20 August 2012 12:58 PM #3

Yep. I’ve used various Mini Displayport > HDMI adapters with my iMac and especially with my MacBook Air (we don’t have an Apple TV yet if you can believe that!), and they work great. Kanex makes some good ones that they’ve sent me (and I’ve tested), and I believe they’re quite a bit cheaper than Apple’s.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.