Textedit for iOS

Posted: 17 August 2012 12:42 AM

OK simple question:
    I do a lot of writing and I like TextEdit because it’s simple, and not too big and doesn’t have any kooky features like MSOffice. Best of all it’s free. I want to start saving my stuff to iCloud so I can edit them from the iPod Touch or the iPad as well as my Mac. TextEdit itself is not available for iOS so what is a good editor for RTF documents on iOS?

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

• Posted: 06 September 2012 11:34 AM #1

I use iAwriter avalible on iOS and Mac. You can sync through iCloud and Dropbox. It uses .txt not .rtf though. You can convert from text edit by going to format>make plain text. I really like it, very simple text editor.

[ Edited: 06 September 2012 12:44 PM by elliot ]      

Posted: 06 September 2012 12:41 PM #2

PlainText. http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/plaintext

Why?
    I have grocery shopping lists on:
    1. my iPhone
    2. my wife’s iPhone
    3. our iPad
    4. my iMac
    5. her iMac

All connected via DropBox.
    Each of us can add/subtract items to the lists (one for each store) and they all current.
    Seven lists:
    Costco.txt
    King Soopers.txt
    Parisi.txt
    Savory Spice.txt
    Sprouts.txt
    Target.txt
    Whole Foods.txt

It has worked flawlessly for the last 2 weeks.

Signature

Dave Barnes
    +1.303.744.9024
    WebEnhancement Services - Worldwide

• Posted: 06 September 2012 12:49 PM #3

Having been a *nix user since the early 80’s, the choice is simple for me. If I am editing text, I am using vi.

• Posted: 06 September 2012 12:58 PM #4

For simple text editing and writing, I like Elements. It is a very minimilistic text editor that backs up to my DropBox account.
    I doesn’t have all the features I would like, but overall, I have been very pleased with its performance and minimal start-up time.

I have also used an app that has recently become rebranded as Textilus. It can edit and format rich-text documents unlike Elements which is focused on simple text files. I see now that they have also increased the price, and I am not sure if I would still recommend it at $10. But, I have generally been pretty happy with it,

• Posted: 06 September 2012 01:37 PM #5

John Harlow - 06 September 2012 12:49 PM

Having been a *nix user since the early 80’s, the choice is simple for me. If I am editing text, I am using vi.

I think you missed the “for iOS” part.

My recommendations:

Textastic is incredibly featured. Great syntax highlighting. For a full-featured text editor, it’s got all the bells and whistles. My complaint, it isn’t universal, so you need to buy two copies if you want it on the phone as well as the iPad.

Just Type is my favorite “quick note” application of the moment, free for the basic app, $1 to add in syncing. Nice simple UI that gets out of my way for a fast note.

[ Edited: 06 September 2012 01:45 PM by scottjl ]      
  • Posted: 06 September 2012 02:49 PM #6

I’ve gone through many, but I keep coming back to Nebulous Notes.

• Posted: 07 September 2012 03:10 AM #7

I’m with the original poster—something that edits RTF files. I also use TextEdit—and Nisus, and want/need the ability to directly edit RTF files—not on an iPad, however, but on the iPhone, and iCloud is also a vital part. So, what’s out there?

-Jon

Signature

-Jon

Posted: 07 September 2012 10:21 AM #8

It doesn’t do RTF, but I’m a big SimpleNote fan. It syncs with the SimpleNote server as you type, so I always have whatever I’m working on available on my iPhone, iPad and Mac right away. You can access your notes on your computer through your Web browser, and several apps that tie in to the service are available, too. Best of all: It’s all free.

• Posted: 08 September 2012 04:08 AM #9

Geoduck-

I did a search on iTunes, and found an iPad app called Textilus (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textilus/id537818639?mt=8). It does RTF, but I don’t know how well it does everything you need, and it doesn’t seem to be compatible with the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Signature

-Jon