Weekend Updates

Posted: 17 August 2012 11:00 PM #46

Prazan - 18 August 2012 01:55 AM
    Red Shirted Ensign - 17 August 2012 09:06 PM

Romulan Ale…the good blue stuff.

Somebody really wanted to own this stock today. The cynical side of me, (my best side) thinks we are going to get some news early next week that will confirm some of the better rumors out there…...Today’s action on a sleepy August Friday is just a bit hard to fathom without an underlying basis…and price targets don’t count.

A bullish conference call between Peter Oppenheimer and analysts didn’t hurt, I suspect. But they were primed to be pumped.

No ceiling in China?

Tell us something we didn’t already know. wink  There is a ceiling, but it’s so incredibly high up…no need to worry about it for a while. LOL

All this pumping and AAPL is still a 15.2 multiple stock?  We’re gonna need more Air!

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 August 2012 11:54 PM #47

I want that iPad Air.

I’m trying to hold my iPad 3 in one hand while reading a manual off it and using the other hand to tighten a new light fixture.  Imagining a simply better experience.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 18 August 2012 12:32 AM #48

Well, got caught out waiting for a pull-back, and wound up buying in a bit late & high. And yet, so far it’s not hurting at all, no sirree… Just wondering if we’ll see a pull-back soon, and I’ll be lucky/good enough to get out & back in…

Oh well, anything will be better than my fu of this week over in the Sprint options. You know how they say that with any options transaction there’s a sucker and if you don’t know who it is, it’s you? Long day, I was tired, and missed an obvious rule that I need to internalize: if you see an option under-priced by a shocking amount, stop and double-check the damn strike and expiration before you submit the order. What a bonehead idiot move—I could have just taken $500 and burned it, at least that would have provided some nominal entertainment. Oh well, small loss, still made more elsewhere—just annoyed at myself…

• Posted: 18 August 2012 01:14 AM #49

amsk - 17 August 2012 10:21 PM

I sold my (30) Oct 650 calls that I bought yesterday for $20 too soon today.  I made some money (it was impossible not to as the price never dipped belong $21.60) but I could have made a lot more.  My gut was telling me to hold on to the calls b/c of all the good stuff ahead of us;  but I realize there is a lot of risk in unhedged options that expire in a couple of months and my gut has certainly been wrong before.  I certainly did not think the pps would rise so much on a Friday on strong volume.  Oh well - that’s the way the ball bounces.  I will look to get some futher out options in the near future.

I do think that we are going higher at least for a little while.  Even though we have climbed pretty exponentially lately - we are simply back to around the ATM of April, with big new developments on the horizon. 

IMO what could hurt us is in the short term are:  1) a bad jury verdict in the case against Samsung
    and 2) bad September earnings.  I would think the stock will bounce back quickly given the new products being rolled out.

You could have sold the OCT $665 Calls against your $650 Calls and got all your money back, ending up with a 30 $15.00 Call Spreads at no cost.  If AAPL were to Close above $650 at OCT expiry you make $45,000 with no capital at risk.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:14 AM #50

greedyn00b - 18 August 2012 03:32 AM

Well, got caught out waiting for a pull-back, and wound up buying in a bit late & high. And yet, so far it’s not hurting at all, no sirree… Just wondering if we’ll see a pull-back soon, and I’ll be lucky/good enough to get out & back in…

Oh well, anything will be better than my fu of this week over in the Sprint options. You know how they say that with any options transaction there’s a sucker and if you don’t know who it is, it’s you? Long day, I was tired, and missed an obvious rule that I need to internalize: if you see an option under-priced by a shocking amount, stop and double-check the damn strike and expiration before you submit the order. What a bonehead idiot move—I could have just taken $500 and burned it, at least that would have provided some nominal entertainment. Oh well, small loss, still made more elsewhere—just annoyed at myself…

Did you buy a contract different than you thought you were buying?

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 18 August 2012 01:22 AM #51

lovemyipad - 17 August 2012 10:28 PM
    Gregg Thurman - 17 August 2012 10:15 PM
    lovemyipad - 17 August 2012 09:18 PM

Me, I moved everything out to APR’13 at the earliest.  I’ll be crying over my long-gone-now OCT’12 650s for an eternity, I’m sure.  But I have enough invested to enjoy upside, and enough cash to know I can always turn future lemons into lemonade.

Last January I put a half dozen accounts I manage for friends and relatives, into OCT $630/$645 Bull Call Spreads at 85?.  They are currently trading at $8.45 with another $6.55 left in them.

You’re going to be a very popular guy. smile

Some of these accounts are collateral for loans I made.  Come OCT they will be able to pay me back.  I have about $120K on the books, so to speak.  Terms of the loans are that they open an options trading account with OptionsXpress (where I do my trading.  I fund the account with $500, and link the account to mine (giving me access to effect trades.

I suspect that by April expiry all notes will be redeemed.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 18 August 2012 01:28 AM #52

Mercel - 18 August 2012 01:17 AM

I didn’t vote in this poll, but clearly John Browett, Apple’s retail guy in charge, isn’t very popular in this one.

An emotional response by dummies.  Browett did not make the changes attributed to him in a vacuum.  TC and PO both had to know what the strategy was before he implemented it.  I’m confident this subject came up during the interview process, and his actions were approved by the Executive Team beforehand.

Signature

• Posted: 18 August 2012 01:41 AM #53

Red Shirted Ensign - 18 August 2012 04:14 AM

Did you buy a contract different than you thought you were buying?

Yep. Different expiration. As in expiring in 48 hours, no time to recover, just have to suck it up and sell.

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:44 AM #54

greedyn00b - 18 August 2012 03:32 AM

(...)What a bonehead idiot move—I could have just taken $500 and burned it, at least that would have provided some nominal entertainment. Oh well, small loss, still made more elsewhere—just annoyed at myself…

I will put my idiotic clerical mistakes up against yours any day! wink

• Posted: 18 August 2012 01:50 AM #55

lovemyipad - 18 August 2012 04:44 AM

Hey, at least it was my mistake. (And I know how it happened; I was trying to place essentially the same order across multiple brokers, and lost track of what chain was displayed where.)

I have actually caught OptionsExpress.com CHANGING MY SELECTIONS AFTER I MADE THEM. I’m not kidding, and I’m not imagining it. There are my choices, I’m looking at them, the screen blinks, and POW! the popup for strike or expiration changes. The $1.50/contract was bad enough. Having to triple-check orders at every step was the last straw.

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:50 AM #56

I’m pretty sure we all did well this week. 

Have fun this weekend, and we start all over again on Monday.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:13 AM #57

greedyn00b - 18 August 2012 04:50 AM
    lovemyipad - 18 August 2012 04:44 AM

Hey, at least it was my mistake. (And I know how it happened; I was trying to place essentially the same order across multiple brokers, and lost track of what chain was displayed where.)

I have actually caught OptionsExpress.com CHANGING MY SELECTIONS AFTER I MADE THEM. I’m not kidding, and I’m not imagining it. There are my choices, I’m looking at them, the screen blinks, and POW! the popup for strike or expiration changes. The $1.50/contract was bad enough. Having to triple-check orders at every step was the last straw.

Well, aside from that OptionsXpress thing, I am fairly confident that any mistake you’ve made, I’ve made it too.  Including your most recent one. wink

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:15 AM #58

Closed all my options positions today close to HOD so back to 100% Options Cash (no intention of selling my shares). Even with my unfortunate losses in my Aug calls, still up nicely. Considering how I was feeling (and how far down I was) after last earnings, I’m pretty happy to be where I am. Will wait for an opening but plan to be in much safer option plays before iPhone release and next earnings.

Will be interesting to see where things go from here.

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

• Posted: 18 August 2012 02:35 AM #59

iPads for all…

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/08/17/ipads-for-all-western-mn-school-district-says/

...I like the trend.

• Posted: 18 August 2012 02:36 AM #60

Dividend to owners of shares at the end of session monday the 13th. Right?

Payable by thursday the 16th. Right?

Have you received the dividend by now?