Weekend Updates

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:38 AM #61

per39 - 18 August 2012 05:36 AM

Dividend to owners of shares at the end of session monday the 13th. Right?

Payable by thursday the 16th. Right?

Have you received the dividend by now?

Most everyone, I think.

Check your account online if you have one - check your transaction history - check for fractional shares.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 18 August 2012 04:34 AM #62

Gregg Thurman - 17 August 2012 10:06 PM

Stocks splits are a zero sum game.

I disagree. A lot of people think AAPL is “expensive,” and I do not just refer to Joe Sixpack retail investor, whom you love to dismiss as insignificant. I hear it all the time from the dumb bunny talking heads on TV. Well, not so much anymore, since lovemyipad convinced me to stop watching CNBC.

But I did catch some CNBC clips today on the CNBC app (you didn’t say I couldn’t look at the app, M), and there is permaAAPLbear, the disgrace to the Harvard Crimson, Melissa Lee, saying her typically dumb things about Apple.

But Simon Hobbs, an Apple fan, asked Peter Misek of Jeffries - who just upgraded his target to $900 - who is left to buy AAPL shares?

Misek said a “surprising number” of institutions have not held and do not hold AAPL, and will eventually be forced to “capitulate” and buy AAPL.

Then that moron David Faber said something about the law of large numbers, and he sure as hell wasn’t talking about his IQ.

Anyway, I’d love you to tell us, Gregg, with a straight face, how APPL would have gotten to this market cap without the last two splits, and would be happily trading at just under $2600 today…

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 18 August 2012 08:36 AM #63

JDSoCal - 18 August 2012 07:34 AM
    Gregg Thurman - 17 August 2012 10:06 PM

Stocks splits are a zero sum game.

I disagree. A lot of people think AAPL is “expensive,” and I do not just refer to Joe Sixpack retail investor, whom you love to dismiss as insignificant. I hear it all the time from the dumb bunny talking heads on TV. Well, not so much anymore, since lovemyipad convinced me to stop watching CNBC.

But I did catch some CNBC clips today on the CNBC app (you didn’t say I couldn’t look at the app, M), and there is permaAAPLbear, the disgrace to the Harvard Crimson, Melissa Lee, saying her typically dumb things about Apple.

But Simon Hobbs, an Apple fan, asked Peter Misek of Jeffries - who just upgraded his target to $900 - who is left to buy AAPL shares?

Misek said a “surprising number” of institutions have not held and do not hold AAPL, and will eventually be forced to “capitulate” and buy AAPL.

Then that moron David Faber said something about the law of large numbers, and he sure as hell wasn’t talking about his IQ.

Anyway, I’d love you to tell us, Gregg, with a straight face, how APPL would have gotten to this market cap without the last two splits, and would be happily trading at just under $2600 today…

I agree. A lot of psychology stops AAPL from being valued at an appropriate multiple.

It would be much easier for AAPL to go from $65 to $100 per share than it is to go from $650 to $1000 a share currently.

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

• Posted: 18 August 2012 08:47 AM #64

What would the options strike gaps be on a 10-1 or 5-1 split?

10-1—-> 1 point gaps?
    5-1—-> 1 point gaps?

Tighter gaps = better for us, right? I like having more, um, options smile

Posted: 18 August 2012 11:05 AM #65

Back in the US.  Woke up to see AAPL close at 648.  Last time I checked in St. Thomas it was 633 and when I left home it was 622.  Not a bad trip.  My LEAPS are up 20%.

I have cash from dividends and more buying power to reload on Monday.

I don’t think we will give much back until 670 at this pace.

Saw lots of iPhones and iPads on the cruise ship. 

First 6 rows in back of the plane had 1 iPad in each.

Buy and Hold.

I smell $1200 in 16 months.smile

• Posted: 18 August 2012 11:44 AM #66

JDSoCal - 18 August 2012 07:34 AM

+1

David Faber has been a real disappointment.  He uses a Motorola StarTac dumb phone and brags about it.  I bet he still uses a Walkman when he isn’t researching his next CEO guest of a technology company. 

This recent AAPL run could in part be fueled by an expectation that a split is coming.  Faber will still sound off about LOL #s, but he’s on my mute button.  If nothing else, FB shareholders could then “afford” to buy AAPL.  rolleyes

Posted: 18 August 2012 11:46 AM #67

omacvi - 18 August 2012 02:05 PM

Back in the US.  Woke up to see AAPL close at 648.  Last time I checked in St. Thomas it was 633 and when I left home it was 622.  Not a bad trip. smile

I think you need to take more vacations. smile

Signature

Bought and Held

• Posted: 18 August 2012 11:50 AM #68

iCam - 18 August 2012 05:35 AM

iPads for all…

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/08/17/ipads-for-all-western-mn-school-district-says/

...I like the trend.

Money quote:

?There is nothing more current, more relevant or more important in educating our children today than implementing a new digital and technologically rich delivery system in the teaching and learning process,? said Superintendent Scott Loeslie.

Great Ad material.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 18 August 2012 01:02 PM #69

Must admit, although AAPL is at an ATH, my account is still 30K short of an ATH.  I tried to ride the momentum in April, and ride out the downwave but let profit go every day assuming AAPL was going to soar to new levels after that stellar earnings report.  It didn’t.  I watched dark green turn to light green, and in some cases turn to red before exiting.  Redeployed everything at 535, but went deeper and longer.  Here we are in ATH land and I find myself in the same position as April (sort of). 

In April, 650 was my selling target, woulda/coulda/shoulda booked 6 figures of profit for the first quarter (hell - that was my goal for the year).  I was $5 pps short of glory!  Instead, I gave most of it back.  I had every intention of trading the plan, but the plan never came to fruition.  I had hard numbers carved in stone to trade at.  Didn’t work out so well.

I was expecting AAPL to do what it did at the beginning of the year.  The earnings reports, the low P/E, new markets, etc.  It made sense.  The stock wasn’t leaving orbit (that’s AMZN’s job) it was merely moving up to where it should be right?  Now here we are in August, and I’m not so confident.  We’re knocking on that $650 pps door again and ill-feelings are surfacing of profits relinquished.

$700 is my new $650 and Jan is my timeframe.  The plan is set, but it’s funny how the psychology of it all messes with your mind when money is on the table.  Therefore, I’ll be taking some profit next week, and move into some APR positions if the opportunity presents itself.  Lesson learned (I hope).  It just seems really hard to click that trade/confirm button and take money off the table when your account is growing…...

Signature

Because Longer is better…....

• Posted: 18 August 2012 02:15 PM #70

I am close to 30k short of our ATH also, but feel okay.  At the worse back with the swoon, we were still up 200%, and we started the year with about 40k in these two accounts.  We’re back up in triple digit gains dollar-wise. 

I do not have a hard sell target in mind.  I am pretty sure I will be selling some in January, 2013 cause we are going to spend some money getting the house ready to sell.  I think Apple will be in the $720-$770 range at that time - I do not see downside to that projection, but there may be some possible upside.  The range is 14-15 TTM P/E on TTM earnings of $51.37.

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:55 PM #71

Back in the US.  Woke up to see AAPL close at 648.  Last time I checked in St. Thomas it was 633 and when I left home it was 622.  Not a bad trip.  My LEAPS are up 20%.

I have cash from dividends and more buying power to reload on Monday.

I don’t think we will give much back until 670 at this pace.

Saw lots of iPhones and iPads on the cruise ship. 

First 6 rows in back of the plane had 1 iPad in each.

Buy and Hold.

I smell $1200 in 16 months.smile

Whoa, the Sponge is into options now? Congrats for doing it the right way! (LEAPS)

Signature

Fortes fortuna adiuvat.

Posted: 18 August 2012 02:58 PM #72

Spongie, I was thinking of you and your foray into LEAPS!  YAY for you! smile

Posted: 18 August 2012 03:38 PM #73

Taking the kids tubing on the boat this afternoon, playing in a golf tournament tomorrow morning, and all I can think about is AAPL…..  is this love?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkCO7LR9nl4

Signature

Because Longer is better…....

Posted: 18 August 2012 04:35 PM #74

The rising importance of tech dividends

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/your-money/dividend-paying-stocks-found-in-unusual-places.html?_r=1&partner=yahoofinance

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 18 August 2012 04:43 PM #75

Well, my order to sell half of my Jan14 $330 LEAPS filled at my stink bid of $320 right near the end of the day, Friday. Made a tad over 40% on those. I bought them in May, when AAPL was at $530 or so. Hopefully the remaining half will continue to rise, but I wanted to take a bit off the table and reduce my stress a bit. I now have plenty of cash to participate in any retracements or WTF sales.

I think my next set of LEAPS will be a bit closer to ATM, maybe just $50 or so ITM versus $200 DITM.