Setting up airport extreme

• Posted: 21 August 2012 06:06 AM

Hi, I have following setup

1. Fiber optic Modem (WAN)
    2. Linksys router (PPPoE Setup connected to WAN). Enabled wireless
    3. Apple airport extreme 1
    4. Apple airport extreme 2
    5. Home automation equipment which requires a network(LAN)

The reason I had linksys router is because WAN connection through airport extreme resulted into a very slow internet connection.(Don’t know why)
        How can I extend the linksys WIFI/Ethernet with the help Apple extremes?

I have computers(PC,MAC), home automation equipment which requires everything to be on the same network so that I can share the files,music across PC, MAC and other IOS devices.

Posted: 23 August 2012 02:51 PM #1

Hi Raravapa—welcome to the forums!

We’ve discussed this one a few times in the show, but the net is you’re WAY better off connecting each of your routers (i.e. 2, 3, & 4) in your example via Ethernet. By and large we (and most listeners) have found that doing WDS (i.e. extending your network by using each router to grab and repeat the other wireless signals) just isn’t reliable.

Of course, if you don’t have Ethernet run through your house, this can be problematic. wink But that’s why we’ve come to love and recommend PowerLine products. These allow you to use your home’s electrical wiring to run Ethernet signals across. I do this in my home (using Netgear’s Powerline products, though I imagine you’d have good success with any reputable brand), and it works brilliantly. Full-speed bandwidth to my TiVo and TV set, even though they’re across the house from where the cable line comes in.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 23 August 2012 03:15 PM #2

//as long as they are on the same circuit…

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 23 August 2012 03:24 PM #3

Intruder - 23 August 2012 06:15 PM

Not true in any of the cases I’ve tried (and I’ve done this a lot). As long as they’re in the same house (i.e. all connected to the same feed), the signal has no problem jumping from circuit to circuit.

In fact, the successful posting of this message will confirm that it jumped circuits just fine. wink

Signature

Posted: 23 August 2012 10:04 PM #4

Good to hear. That was not the case on earlier hardware.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 24 August 2012 11:34 AM #5

Dave Hamilton - 23 August 2012 06:24 PM
    Intruder - 23 August 2012 06:15 PM

Not true in any of the cases I’ve tried (and I’ve done this a lot). As long as they’re in the same house (i.e. all connected to the same feed), the signal has no problem jumping from circuit to circuit.

In fact, the successful posting of this message will confirm that it jumped circuits just fine. wink

I’d like to use Powerline adapters to extend my home network to my observatory, but I’ve been told it won’t work because my observatory is on not only a different circuit from my network gear but connected to an external breaker box.  The network gear is connected to a breaker box inside the house.  So, there are not just separate circuits but separate breaker boxes involved.  Anyone know if the current Powerline adapters can handle that configuration?

• Posted: 24 August 2012 01:06 PM #6

I have had very good luck extending my home network with Netgear Powerline products.

I have a network which untill yesterday used three adapters and I was getting indications of 125-150 mbs. Yesterday I added the fourth adapter in my family room for my Apple TV 2.  The connectivity is listed as 15-17 mbs. for that adapter, the other adapters were unaffected. I have tried a factory reset but no joy.

I read that having an adapter on a circuit that has heavy current draw equipment, like TV refigertor, etc. can affect throughput.  Well, the adapter is plugged into the outlet with the TV (no choice).

So what now?

Thanks,

Andy

Posted: 24 August 2012 05:02 PM #7

Hi Andy—Could be, as you surmise, something with your circuit. Hard to say what, though. I’ll alert Netgear to the forum thread here. Perhaps one of them will have some thoughts if they decide to join in the MGG Crew discussion! smile

Signature