Weekend Updates - Archive

• Posted: 24 August 2012 09:24 PM #16

Mav - 24 August 2012 11:25 PM

Time to sell those hedges on Monday.

Hedges?  What hedges? smile

Posted: 24 August 2012 09:47 PM #17

Yeah, whatever.  Net long but also net not amused.  There’s joking and then there’s jabs at trades.  AFBers want people to “share” so they can scoff at people’s “wrong” moves?  Right.

[ Edited: 24 August 2012 09:52 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 09:48 PM #18

I decided at the end of the day today to buy my first BCS - set my sights on the Jan ‘14 650/700 spread.  I bought 10 Jan ‘14 650s for $107, and decided at the last minute to hold off on the short leg - thinking the pps might go up next week.  Glad I did now!  Even though the Jan ‘14 calls won’t see the volatility of the earlier-expiring calls as a result of the great trial result—certainly the price of all calls should go up.

Which brings me to a question for the board.  If I think (like many on this board do) that the pps is going to be going much higher from here - wouldn’t it make most sense for me to hold off on buying the short leg of the spread for a while, maybe even months or longer? 

Not having done BCSs before - I am curious as to how more experienced traders establish their positions, particularly as to long-term spreads.  Buying the short leg sooner frees up more capital, but buying later means (hopefully) that I pay quite a bit less.

I am also now wondering if I should sell to open the 750s instead of the 700s (more upside, but a pricier BCS).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Obviously not seeking “investment advice” - just thoughts from people who have done this a lot more than me.  Thanks.  Amsk.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 09:51 PM #19

I don’t do short legs

I am 6’ 5” smile

Posted: 24 August 2012 09:52 PM #20

Mav - 25 August 2012 12:22 AM

Oh, and iPad, if you don’t mind:

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile

Posted: 24 August 2012 09:52 PM #21

Apple has a statement - here I was thinking we’d wait until at least Monday!

Via The Verge:

We are grateful to the jury for their service and for investing the time to listen to our story and we were thrilled to be able to finally tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trail showed that Samsung?s copying went far deeper than even we knew. The lawsuits between Apple and Samsung were about much more than patents or money. They were about values. At Apple, we value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. We make these products to delight our customers, not for our competitors to flagrantly copy. We applaud the court for finding Samsung?s behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn?t right.

From the era of the iPhone 3G…

To the brand-new Galaxy Note 10.1 USB charger cable (second to last review image)...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/21/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review-an-embarrassing-lazy-arrogant-money-grab/

You can read Samsung’s response if you like.  I’ve chosen not to post it. wink

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 August 2012 10:10 PM #22

Mav - 25 August 2012 12:47 AM

Yeah, whatever.  Net long but also net not amused.  There’s joking and then there’s jabs at trades.  AFBers want people to “share” so they can scoff at people’s “wrong” moves?  Right.

IMHO, it wasn’t wrong to hedge, even if it didn’t work out THIS time.  It still was the right move.

Gregg had a great line, and I’m paraphrasing here: “Smart or lucky?  You’d better be smart when your luck runs out.”

• Posted: 24 August 2012 10:16 PM #23

I tried to sell 10 contracts (April 700s) all day without success.  Then, when Apple dipped at the end, I bought 10 more.  I’m 90% in and loving the verdict.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 10:21 PM #24

Looks like Sept 20th is the date Koh set for hearing on AAPL injunction on Samsung products.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 24 August 2012 10:25 PM #25

amsk - 25 August 2012 12:48 AM

I decided at the end of the day today to buy my first BCS - set my sights on the Jan ‘14 650/700 spread.  I bought 10 Jan ‘14 650s for $107, and decided at the last minute to hold off on the short leg - thinking the pps might go up next week.  Glad I did now!  Even though the Jan ‘14 calls won’t see the volatility of the earlier-expiring calls as a result of the great trial result—certainly the price of all calls should go up.

Which brings me to a question for the board.  If I think (like many on this board do) that the pps is going to be going much higher from here - wouldn’t it make most sense for me to hold off on buying the short leg of the spread for a while, maybe even months or longer? 

Not having done BCSs before - I am curious as to how more experienced traders establish their positions, particularly as to long-term spreads.  Buying the short leg sooner frees up more capital, but buying later means (hopefully) that I pay quite a bit less.

I am also now wondering if I should sell to open the 750s instead of the 700s (more upside, but a pricier BCS).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Obviously not seeking “investment advice” - just thoughts from people who have done this a lot more than me.  Thanks.  Amsk.

All good questions.  I’ve done all of the above, and different methods work better for me at different times.  I like (and have) the JAN’14 650/700s.

It’s kinda “six of one and half a dozen of the other,” and much depends on your risk tolerance and trading style.  These days, I prefer to open intact spreads to establish a position, then at any point in time, I may have more long legs than short legs (either I bought more long legs, or bought back short legs temporarily).  Just remember, it’s not necessarily one or the other.  You can have both, spreads AND unhedged long LEAPs.

Posted: 24 August 2012 10:38 PM #26

Looking ahead

1. iPhone 5, iOS 6
    2. iPad mini
    3. possibly a couple new Macs in late October or November
    4. loads of PR
    5. plenty of rhetoric combat between Apple and Android camps.  Expect retaliation in Korea.  Expect some pro-Apple sentiment in the US.

• Posted: 24 August 2012 10:42 PM #27

Can Samsung sabotage them in any way with respect to the parts they need from Samsung for AAPL products? (I still don’t understand that whole relationship)

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 24 August 2012 10:44 PM #28

Phoebear611 - 25 August 2012 01:21 AM

Looks like Sept 20th is the date Koh set for hearing on AAPL injunction on Samsung products.

This is also sept options expiration. Coincidence?

• Posted: 24 August 2012 10:44 PM #29

Tetrachloride - 25 August 2012 01:38 AM

Looking ahead

1. iPhone 5, iOS 6
    2. iPad mini
    3. possibly a couple new Macs in late October or November
    4. loads of PR
    5. plenty of rhetoric combat between Apple and Android camps.  Expect retaliation in Korea.  Expect some pro-Apple sentiment in the US.

And and on the sixth day of Christmas ... Saaamsuuuung Injuctions!

• Posted: 24 August 2012 10:47 PM #30

Apple’s victory sends fear through Android ecosystem:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444812704577610012314155098.html?mod=WSJ_hps_LEFTTopStories

Articles are coming out fast and furiously!

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On