Weekend Updates - Archive

Posted: 25 August 2012 04:03 PM #61

Red Shirted Ensign - 25 August 2012 05:30 PM
    Gridlock - 25 August 2012 05:13 PM

Confirmed: New iPad Mini to Debut in October, After Latest Apple iPhone?s September Bow

http://allthingsd.com/20120825/confirmed-new-ipad-mini-will-debut-in-october-after-latest-iphones-september-bow/

All the pieces are coming together beautifully. 

The Wall Strret gurus will have to really fire up the spreadsheets to determine a “fair and reasonable” price for this stock.  While the products surge forward on a relentless pattern of leak, announcement, excitement and rollout,  We now have a new very powerful dynamic in play, with Apple legal sweeping up afterwards on patent infringement.  This adds billions to the bottom line over time while ensuring innovation receives the true value it deserves. 

Wall street now has to reprice the intrinsic innovative culture of Apple because it can’t just be copied anymore…...

I think this stock deserves a trailing P/E of 17 right now. After we post $19.45 in earnings in January….we deserve a P/E of…..... LOL

I’ll take $52ish X 17 for $850+ oh wise one…

• Posted: 25 August 2012 04:14 PM #62

Phoebear611 - 25 August 2012 11:00 AM

I have to laugh at some of the articles saying that this verdict is damning for the consumer because it won’t provide choices.  Are people serious?  I think it is great for the consumer! It will now provide diversity of design and product. I know I don’t need to convince others on this board about the argument, but I’m just wondering what goes through a person’s head when they make statements like that.

Absolutely nothing, and therein lies the problem.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 25 August 2012 04:29 PM #63

In the wake of yesterdays events and subsequent AH rocket, I recalled an off the cuff remark Steve made during one of his Keynotes I think it was the release of the iPhone 4: “And Boy Have we Patented it”

Edit: 2007 Keynote introduction of the Original iPhone

[ Edited: 25 August 2012 04:46 PM by aaplcrazie ]

Signature

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company…

• Posted: 25 August 2012 04:33 PM #64

aaplcrazie - 25 August 2012 07:29 PM

In the wake of yesterdays events and subsequent AH rocket, I recalled an off the cuff remark Steve made during one of his Keynotes I think it was the release of the iPhone 4: “And Boy Have we Patterned It”

I think it was Jan. 2007 if you mean patented it

Posted: 25 August 2012 04:50 PM #65

Mercel - 25 August 2012 07:33 PM
    aaplcrazie - 25 August 2012 07:29 PM

In the wake of yesterdays events and subsequent AH rocket, I recalled an off the cuff remark Steve made during one of his Keynotes I think it was the release of the iPhone 4: “And Boy Have we Patterned It”

I think it was Jan. 2007 if you mean patented it

Thanks Mercel, I stand corrected.

Signature

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company…

• Posted: 25 August 2012 04:57 PM #66

My recollection is that it was much more than an off the cuff remark, that he made it a real point that they were not intending to be ripped off this time around.

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:07 PM #67

Gridlock - 25 August 2012 05:13 PM

Confirmed: New iPad Mini to Debut in October, After Latest Apple iPhone?s September Bow

http://allthingsd.com/20120825/confirmed-new-ipad-mini-will-debut-in-october-after-latest-iphones-september-bow/

One error in that article.  Assuming iPad Air is more important than iPad.  iPad Regular isn’t even close to peaking from what I can tell - and hey, it’s only 2.5 years old anyway. 

OTOH, who knows how popular iPad Air will end up being?  It’s Classic Apple(tm) to keep shaking things up long before the Cash Cow Times(tm) arrive (Apple’s continuous disruption of the media player space before finally slowing things down some around 2008 or so).  Better yet, this is a Classic Apple(tm) move (iPod >> iPod mini) from a position of much greater strength.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:09 PM #68

greedyn00b - 25 August 2012 07:57 PM

My recollection is that it was much more than an off the cuff remark, that he made it a real point that they were not intending to be ripped off this time around.

That was for multi-touch, and it was the punchier line, which is why “and boy have we patented it” is top of mind for most of us (including me).  This was the real kicker:

(from Engadget’s liveblog in Jan 2007)

As related by Engadget:  “We’ve been pushing the state of the art in every facet of this design. We’ve got the multi-touch screen, miniaturization, OS X in a mobile device, precision enclosures, three advanced sensors, desktop class applications, and the widescreen video iPod. We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them.”

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:15 PM #69

Gridlock - 25 August 2012 06:27 PM

** Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Review: An Embarrassing, Lazy, Arrogant Money Grab

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08/21/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review-an-embarrassing-lazy-arrogant-money-grab/

Wow, that’s a devastating review, on an Android fanboy site no less. A lot of butthurt in the comments by the religious zealots.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:18 PM #70

If you haven’t seen the videos of the Galaxy Note 10.1’s pillow-soft back and pleasingly creaky exterior in that Android Police review…you really should.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:19 PM #71

Mav - 25 August 2012 08:09 PM
    greedyn00b - 25 August 2012 07:57 PM

That was for multi-touch, and it was the punchier line, which is why “and boy have we patented it” is top of mind for most of us (including me).  This was the real kicker:

(from Engadget’s liveblog in Jan 2007)

As related by Engadget:  “We’ve been pushing the state of the art in every facet of this design. We’ve got the multi-touch screen, miniaturization, OS X in a mobile device, precision enclosures, three advanced sensors, desktop class applications, and the widescreen video iPod. We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them.”

+200+, and quote (ironically) stolen into my sig.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 25 August 2012 05:37 PM #72

Here’s an iPhone introduction video link (second half) for anyone interested.  Steve’s comments on innovation and patents are just before the 23 minute mark.  That way you can…just skip past that part with Eric Schmidt if you want… LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vququ7x8gnw&feature=relmfu

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 25 August 2012 05:42 PM #73

I thought this was interesting and will post on the Trial thread as well…but the first juror has given an interview and I have to admit that they really gave the issues thought…not just check the box:

http://allthingsd.com/20120825/apple-samsung-juror-tells-cnet-debate-was-heated/

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 25 August 2012 07:13 PM #74

Subsequent articles are starting to come out about he trial.  The foreman was also interviewed and I will post the link but I loved this one pgh:

“The most powerful evidence of Samsung’s misconduct, Hogan said, were internal emails and reports among Samsung executives discussing the iPhone’s impact, describing the difference between Samsung’s phones and the iPhone as the “difference between heaven and earth” and exchanges suggesting its features should be duplicated”

Here is the article in full if you care to read:
    http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_21400423/jury-foreman-apple-v-samsung-verdict-message-that

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 25 August 2012 07:19 PM #75

My apologies - I posted this on the Trial thread but meant to post it here so if you see a duplicate there it was my error:

Looking at Twitter and some Stocktwits and there are people who think that $700 in this coming week is an absolute possibility.  I certainly don?t know but given the article from All Things D which people are taking as gospel truth, there is a thought that analysts do not have the iPad mini in their numbers nor do they have a dollar number in terms of what this verdict will or can mean for AAPL as a company versus their competitors in any of their numbers and so we may actually see numerous upgrades throughout the week - maybe even Monday.
    Although I can understand the logic, I still do not see an announcement from the company so don?t know if analyst will begin incorporating anything without an ?official announcement? first.

Thoughts?

Should I just assume that AAPL is the one leaking the news out and that’s why All Things D is just about the same as hearing it from them? Is that how this business works?

[ Edited: 25 August 2012 08:01 PM by Phoebear611 ]

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On