Weekend Updates - Archive

Posted: 25 August 2012 09:31 PM #76

Apple now has an official leaker, as it were, at the Loop. I believe he reveals what Apple is willing to let be known. If something were beginning to be believed in the community but was wildly wrong, the official leaker would slow things down through “an expression of concern” about the rumor.

Once Mr Dalrymple has spoken in his semi- official way, other bloggers get confirmations ... Like All Things D today.

It’s a better system than the old way. It still allows surprises but keeps expectations in check . No one will admit to any of this of course.  Dalrymple uses “yep” and states that another blogger “is a bright boy”.  Nothing to prove he knows from Apple.. But he knows.

It’s all in the ..... :wink:

[ Edited: 25 August 2012 09:35 PM by Red Shirted Ensign ]

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 25 August 2012 09:35 PM #77

There’s multiple questions in there.

Do analysts incorporate sketchy assumptions of future products into estimates and/or price targets?  I believe some do, yes.

Upgrades?  Maybe not now, but maybe soon.  Positive analyst notes?  I think it’s very likely we’ll have some next week.

Does AAPL have “selective information leaks”?  It looks that way, but the first and definitive place to look for confirmation is Dalrymple’s/Cohen’s website, because his record has been perfect (from when, I can’t remember exactly, all that matters is that he’s got a streak going).

Like Ensign said, when Dalrymple confirms, it seems major news outlets like AllThingsD/WSJ and NYT shortly after present their own early-but-not-first confirmations.  It’s a better system than Apple rumor followers used to have. smile

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 25 August 2012 10:42 PM #78

Completely off topic but since a number of us are Space Nuts…...I’m sad to report that Neil Armstrong has passed away.

There would be no Star Trek without the Apollo program.

One small step, indeed.

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

Posted: 25 August 2012 10:46 PM #79

One small step, Neil.  Rest in peace.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 25 August 2012 10:54 PM #80

Red Shirted Ensign - 26 August 2012 01:42 AM

Completely off topic but since a number of us are Space Nuts…...I’m sad to report that Neil Armstrong has passed away.

There would be no Star Trek without the Apollo program.

One small step, indeed.

One small step BUT one gigantic footprint.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 26 August 2012 12:46 AM #81

Red Shirted Ensign - 26 August 2012 12:31 AM

Apple now has an official leaker, as it were, at the Loop. I believe he reveals what Apple is willing to let be known. If something were beginning to be believed in the community but was wildly wrong, the official leaker would slow things down through “an expression of concern” about the rumor.

Once Mr Dalrymple has spoken in his semi- official way, other bloggers get confirmations ... Like All Things D today.

It’s a better system than the old way. It still allows surprises but keeps expectations in check . No one will admit to any of this of course.  Dalrymple uses “yep” and states that another blogger “is a bright boy”.  Nothing to prove he knows from Apple.. But he knows.

It’s all in the ..... :wink:

Not necessarily “official” or sanctioned. As someone who has worked in journalism, there are official leaks and unofficial ones. Such a small little website seems a strange place to leak officially. Why would Apple do this with The Loop, vs. a WSJ or something?

I suspect Dalrymple has some long-time Deep Throat friend at Apple who knows he can trust Dalrymple on deep background not to give away too much, or most importantly, the source himself. Dalrymple’s coy, often monosyllabic scoops (as opposed to breathless, tabloid-esque, “WORLD EXCLUSIVE” top-of-the-fold headlines,) leave just enough plausible deniability to say he was just repeating a rumor from someone else, should the Apple PTB’s get pissed and send out the plumbers.

In my experience, it’s the unofficial sources that are the best, and I say this as someone who had the best sources in the areas I covered (and typically, the source is an actual friendship). It’s a funny thing, people love to see their quotes and info in print, even if unattributed. There is something about human nature, that someone with a secret just needs to tell someone…the bread and butter of journalists.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 26 August 2012 12:59 AM #82

Dalrymple’s site is small, but Dalrymple himself has been a Mac journalist for a very long time.  MacWorld/IDG acquired MacCentral, which he apparently co-founded/was part of from 1994 per Wikipedia, and ironically let him go many years later.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1140513/jim_dalrymple.html (see Jim’s post in the comments section)

[ Edited: 26 August 2012 01:02 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 26 August 2012 01:41 AM #83

Apple Store is down.  Probably maintenance related.

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:54 AM #84

Either that’s some serious crouching tiger, hidden satire, or Ihnatko just lost all credibility for me.  (For you, maybe sooner?  I don’t follow him much these days.)

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/14711784-452/near-total-victory-for-apple-stifles-phone-tablet-design.html

And Andy:  There’s no pass-through costs to me if I keep buying iPhones. wink  And there’s less unfair tax imposed on AAPL shareholders now that Apple’s won a very important vindication of its IP rights.  Sheesh, Apple just got the verdict and journalists are already planning the next stages of Apple’s IP war for it.

[ Edited: 26 August 2012 01:57 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:58 AM #85

Is there anything wrong with putting in a market order for an options trade for Monday? I know it’s not normally advisable because options are thinly traded, but will it not just fill with something close to the opening price? I would think it’s safe to say options will be fairly heavily traded on Monday. Want to get an order in but I may not be able to when the market opens. What is the worst risk I’m taking?

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

• Posted: 26 August 2012 02:03 AM #86

Mav - 26 August 2012 04:54 AM

Either that’s some serious crouching tiger, hidden satire, or Ihnatko just lost all credibility for me.  (For you, maybe sooner?  I don’t follow him much these days.)

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/14711784-452/near-total-victory-for-apple-stifles-phone-tablet-design.html

And Andy:  There’s no pass-through costs to me if I keep buying iPhones. wink  And there’s less unfair tax imposed on AAPL shareholders now that Apple’s won a very important vindication of its IP rights.  Sheesh, Apple just got the verdict and journalists are already planning the next stages of Apple’s IP war for it.

He’s a hack for Google.

Posted: 26 August 2012 04:30 AM #87

Thanks for the update.  He wasn’t always.

Laporte-d, I guess.  (I don’t follow Laporte one bit, I only know he isn’t worth following.)

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 August 2012 04:31 AM #88

cambrose - 26 August 2012 04:58 AM

Is there anything wrong with putting in a market order for an options trade for Monday? I know it’s not normally advisable because options are thinly traded, but will it not just fill with something close to the opening price? I would think it’s safe to say options will be fairly heavily traded on Monday. Want to get an order in but I may not be able to when the market opens. What is the worst risk I’m taking?

DON’T DO IT.

Be ready to trade a limit order if you choose to do that.  Use CBOE iVolatility services/your broker platform to guess some prices you’re willing to pay.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 26 August 2012 09:31 AM #89

There isn’t a week that goes by - sometimes even a day - when I don’t learn something new about AAPL on this board.  Thank you all for answering my inquiries yesterday. 

On a lighter note - has anyone seen the tweets and rampage Mark Cuban went on over the verdict? He’s such an arrogant a-hole.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 26 August 2012 09:34 AM #90

Mav - 26 August 2012 07:31 AM
    cambrose - 26 August 2012 04:58 AM

DON’T DO IT.

Be ready to trade a limit order if you choose to do that.  Use CBOE iVolatility services/your broker platform to guess some prices you’re willing to pay.

If you want them badly enough, put limit order with price above ask price. At least you’ll know you max cost. And if it doesnt get filled, you can alway do it again at the new ask.