Weekend Updates - Archive

Posted: 26 August 2012 10:46 AM #91

cambrose - 26 August 2012 04:58 AM

Is there anything wrong with putting in a market order for an options trade for Monday? I know it’s not normally advisable because options are thinly traded, but will it not just fill with something close to the opening price? I would think it’s safe to say options will be fairly heavily traded on Monday. Want to get an order in but I may not be able to when the market opens. What is the worst risk I’m taking?

I won’t do this again.  When AAPL was in the $530 - $540 range and starting to climb, I did this and only recently did my trade turn green.  I had to mitigate my error by buying another trade to average down my cost.

It was my first big error, lesson learned, limit orders my work but do need monitoring.

Signature

Waiting to be included in one of Apple’s target markets, but I still own an iPod, iPhone and iMac and APPL stock.

• Posted: 26 August 2012 11:25 AM #92

Is there anything wrong with putting in a market order for an options trade for Monday? I know it’s not normally advisable because options are thinly traded, but will it not just fill with something close to the opening price? I would think it’s safe to say options will be fairly heavily traded on Monday. Want to get an order in but I may not be able to when the market opens. What is the worst risk I’m taking?

Let me know what you’re putting an order in for.

Every now and then I get lucky-put a sale order in for 50% higher than the current price-sometimes someone like you buys it.

In other words-it’s not worth the risk.

• Posted: 26 August 2012 11:47 AM #93

Mav - 26 August 2012 07:30 AM

Thanks for the update.  He wasn’t always.

Laporte-d, I guess.  (I don’t follow Laporte one bit, I only know he isn’t worth following.)

He certainly has a bias.  I was quite irritated by his “review” of the Retina Display wherein he said Apple could have done better?  Why?  Because he didn’t like Apple’s removal of the ethernet jack (!).  I mean, for all the reasons to criticize a lightweight, thin, notebook, he goes on a rant over needing a dongle.  Oh, he didn’t like the MagSafe 2 connector either. 

Hey Andy, not only was your review dumb, your lambchop sideburns are too.  LOL

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:29 PM #94

Mav - 26 August 2012 07:31 AM

DON’T DO IT.

OK. I get the message. Thanks for everyone’s input smile

Will try to adjust my schedule to be online at market open.

Just so I understand, if there was a standing order in the system of someone selling at double the last price, I would still fill with that order? If that is the case, then absolutely not worth the risk.

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:33 PM #95

There will always be another trade.  The worst that can happen if the trade doesn’t go thru is you still have cash.

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:53 PM #96

cambrose - 26 August 2012 04:29 PM
    Mav - 26 August 2012 07:31 AM

DON’T DO IT.

OK. I get the message. Thanks for everyone’s input smile

Will try to adjust my schedule to be online at market open.

Just so I understand, if there was a standing order in the system of someone selling at double the last price, I would still fill with that order? If that is the case, then absolutely not worth the risk.

Generally, I think the evil overlords are out there, but have little effect specifically on me. With what I have read about the types of conditional orders that HF traders can write so as to place their orders at the front of the order stream and opportunistically capitalize on situations, a market order on a volitile day sounds like begging the EO to take your money.

Signature

Striving to exceed the needs of the future.

• Posted: 26 August 2012 02:20 PM #97

I know ZeroHedge is mostly just FUD / linkbait articles, but should we be expecting another DAQ rebalance soon?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/aapl-198-nasdaq-another-rebalancing-imminent

• Posted: 26 August 2012 03:02 PM #98

I have read that Kass and quite a few other trades went short AAPL on Friday.  Can anyone confirm that?

• Posted: 26 August 2012 03:05 PM #99

roni - 26 August 2012 06:02 PM

I have read that Kass and quite a few other trades went short AAPL on Friday.  Can anyone confirm that?

Kass has the permabear act down cold.  He knows Apple about as well as I know Shu Qi.

Posted: 26 August 2012 03:12 PM #100

Mercel - 26 August 2012 06:05 PM

Kass has the permabear act down cold.  He knows Apple about as well as I know Shu Qi.

LOL .....no, they know Apple much better than you know Shu Qi, even in your dreams!  grin

Her question:  why doesnt’t Mercel call?

Love the shorts now.  Rocket fuel.  Cover, cover.

[ Edited: 26 August 2012 03:19 PM by Red Shirted Ensign ]

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 26 August 2012 03:20 PM #101

I will try to check on the Doug Kass question but he definitely shorted the market in general over a week ago.  Wonder if Cortez is short (haha)!

Hey hold on - just found this tweet from Doug Kass on August 24th (Friday) and he mentions nothing about AAPL afterwards:

Douglas Kass ?@DougKass:

I am staying with my Apple short as noted in yesterday’s RealMoneyPro column

[ Edited: 26 August 2012 03:22 PM by Phoebear611 ]

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 26 August 2012 03:24 PM #102

Red Shirted Ensign - 26 August 2012 06:12 PM
    Mercel - 26 August 2012 06:05 PM

LOL .....no, they know Apple much better than you know Shu Qi, even in your dreams!  grin

Her question:  why doesnt’t Mercel call?

Love the shorts now.  Rocket fuel.  Cover, cover.

I’ll give you a hand with that Red:

Posted: 26 August 2012 03:30 PM #103

I guess you called her….

Signature

Posted: 26 August 2012 03:55 PM #104

A straightforward Bloomberg article of Apple growth prospects…

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-22/apple-as-most-valuable-u-s-company-ever-has-room-to-grow-more.html

Signature

• Posted: 26 August 2012 04:20 PM #105

This from another board

24 Aug Douglas Kass ?@DougKass
    Housekeeping item. I have covered half of my Apple short rental (its down $13/share) from yesterday’s entry. $AAPL