Ipad backup

• Posted: 25 August 2012 12:29 PM

I want to backup my Ipad to an external drive connected to my IMac.

How can I do this?

TIA!

Posted: 17 September 2012 08:08 AM #1

Backup iPad with iTunes
    Every time you sync your iPad to your computer, an iPad backup is automatically saved on your computer that contains your settings and some data.

So, if you ever need to restore your iPad from backup, you’ll be able to choose this backup and you’ll be back up and running in a snap.

An important thing to know about the iTunes option, though, is that it doesn’t backup your iPad’s apps and music. Those are stored in your iTunes library and need to be backup as part of your computer backup or using iCloud (more on that in a minute). Given that, it’s a good idea to ensure that you’re employing some other kind of backup, whether it’s an external hard drive or web-based automatic backup services. If you have to restore your iPad from backup, it would be too bad to lose your music because you didn’t back it up.

Signature

i am into iPhone apps development programing

Posted: 17 September 2012 02:14 PM #2

Hi Ricky. Good question. This gets a little tricky, though, because the non-iCloud backups are stored locally on your Mac in [home]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

You can relocate them. Before you start, quit iTunes to ensure it’s not modifying anything while you’re moving. Next, create a “Backup” folder on another drive, then copy all the data from your existing Backup folder there (or delete it, to start from scratch).

Then put the old Backup folder in the Trash and… now it’s Terminal time. In the terminal, type:

ln -s /path/to/new/Backup ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup

where /path/to/new/Backup is the full path to the new “Backup” folder on your external drive. If you named your drive “BigDrive” and your folder is at the root of that drive, it would be:

ln -s /Volumes/BigDrive/Backup ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.