This.  Changes. Everything

• Posted: 26 August 2012 08:57 PM #16

Chas,
    I own a droid..  Its a superior piecece of hardware with a more stable and intuitive OS.  No way I would waste my hard earned money on an apple product.  Yes, they may have come up with the design and patented it first but it took Samsung to really make the hardware asthetically pleasing and Google to make a reliable OS to run on it…

Its a sad sad day for the American consumer :-(

Go Samsung!!

Go Google!!!

Go Amazon!!!!

Move along please, nothing to see here, I am only trolling for my own sick humor (inserts evil laughter)

wink

oh yeah,  GO APPLE!!!!!

Posted: 26 August 2012 09:36 PM #17

ChasMac77 - 26 August 2012 11:08 PM
    bick - 26 August 2012 05:40 AM

You’ve all lost your mind. Everyone and the media want to bill this jury verdict as a big deal. It’s not, at least where AAPL and earnings are concerned. The stock may go to 700 this week or next, but it would have done so anyway.

The only way this decision might be important is if there’s an injunction on sales of Samsung phones. But do you really think that is going to happen? By the time appeals are done any patent infringements can easily be worked around. How much work does it take to change an icon or disable “bounce-back”?

If anything, this Jury verdict will force Apple competitors to actually innovate which means more competition and not less.

Personally, the current patent system is broken.  This case is just the latest example of this.  The Jury made it’s decision based largely on email communication. How is admitting inspiration from a competitor’s product patent infringement?

I bet all of Mercel’s money :-D that you own a Droid.

Mercel visiting his money…

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before

• Posted: 26 August 2012 10:13 PM #18

roni - 26 August 2012 01:38 PM

The verdict is a positive, but it does not change everything, in my opinion.

But it protects everything that Apple intends to introduce in the future.

Knowing that Apple will aggressively protect its IP will greatly deter the copiers.  Does this mean increased competition because the copiers will have to succeed on their innovations?  Absolutely, but that is a good thing.  Look what happened to the advancement of PCs when MSFT illegally cut off competition…20 years of stagnation.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 26 August 2012 10:18 PM #19

This is Apple’s position on competition, as stated by Tim Cook about 3.5 years ago during the fiscal Q1 2009 conference call:

(via Seeking Alpha transcript, which looks accurate from how I remember it)

I’m just making a general statement that we think competition is good. It makes us all better. And we are ready to suit up and go against anyone. However, we will not stand for having our IP ripped off, and we’ll use whatever weapons that we have at our disposal. I don’t know that I can be clearer than that.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 26 August 2012 10:21 PM #20

Gregg Thurman - 27 August 2012 01:13 AM
    roni - 26 August 2012 01:38 PM

The verdict is a positive, but it does not change everything, in my opinion.

But it protects everything that Apple intends to introduce in the future.

Knowing that Apple will aggressively protect its IP will greatly deter the copiers.  Does this mean increased competition because the copiers will have to succeed on their innovations?  Absolutely, but that is a good thing.  Look what happened to the advancement of PCs when MSFT illegally cut off competition…20 years of stagnation.

Gregg makes a good point here.  This is a not so obivious ramification of the jury verdict.  Proceed with caution when cloning.

Posted: 26 August 2012 11:21 PM #21

Jcaron - 26 August 2012 11:57 PM

Chas,
    I own a droid..  Its a superior piecece of hardware with a more stable and intuitive OS.  No way I would waste my hard earned money on an apple product.  Yes, they may have come up with the design and patented it first but it took Samsung to really make the hardware asthetically pleasing and Google to make a reliable OS to run on it…

Its a sad sad day for the American consumer :-(

Go Samsung!!

Go Google!!!

Go Amazon!!!!

Move along please, nothing to see here, I am only trolling for my own sick humor (inserts evil laughter)

wink

oh yeah,  GO APPLE!!!!!

Very funny JC. Don’t make me drive up there to punch you! looking forward to tomorrow. Will be online, hope you are as well.

Edit: RSE, love the pic of Mercel and his $$$$. Spot on grin

[ Edited: 27 August 2012 10:17 AM by ChasMac77 ]      

Posted: 26 August 2012 11:37 PM #22

Joe: ROFLMAO!!! smile

(P.S. You forgot: Go NFLX!!!!! Go FB!!!!!!)

• Posted: 27 August 2012 09:18 AM #23

You know, at first i though “this changes everything” was an exaggeration. But after having time to digest the thought, and reflect on what happened to the Macintosh between 1987 and 1997, I’ve changed my mind.

• Posted: 28 August 2012 01:47 AM #24

To Bick,
    To bring up the USPO in this context is a non sequitur because, well, that’s not the topic. The USPO is a fact and the patents it issues are valued, so why should the USPO’s patents valued by Apple not be used to protect its trade dress and other intellectual properties? You seem to imply that Apple should simply abandon using that ammo against infringers.

• Posted: 28 August 2012 01:49 AM #25

Hi Roni,
    Yeah, your opinion has more weight than all of the top management at Apple.

Posted: 28 August 2012 01:50 AM #26

Apple, let’s drop the IP stuff and work to reform the broken patent system…together.

Just drop all the lawsuits and let us copy your stuff protected by this broken system first.  We’ll follow right behind you, promise.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 29 August 2012 06:34 AM #27

I am not sure whether the verdict will change everything, but it will have a big impact on the competitive landscape.

Until now a lot of people I know bought Android phones because they either…

(1) did not like the closed system of Apple per se, or

(2) wanted the functionalities of an iPhone for a cheaper price

At least in Germany, the second reason is by far the more important one when it comes to the buying decision.

With an Android phone you (perceive to) have all the functionalities of an iPhone. Heck, you even have a larger screen. And all that for a much lower price.

And since it did not cost too much, you can sell it in two years for maybe 50% of the original price and buy a new one.

All this was/is possible because smartphone companies (especially Samsung) copied the functionalities and the design/appearance of the iPhone. However, they neither invest in high quality materials nor in an expensive but value-adding software/ecosystem. That?s why they were successful with the consumer. Their marketing strategy was/is: ?You ?basically? get the iPhone for a lower price?.

The verdict puts this business model in jeopardy and the companies will have to rethink how to go forward.

But the impact of the verdict is not just limited to the competitive strategy of the smartphone companies. The consumer is having second thoughts, too.

The verdict was prominently reported on every major news show here in Germany, which surprised me. So a lot of people became aware about the issue. I think that will lead to people becoming more informed about the differences iPhone/Android, and (more importantly) getting more cautious about spending money on a smartphone/OS which might be in jeopardy in a few years.

Samsung is the biggest competitor of Apple in Germany. When someone wants a high-quality smartphone which comes close to an iPhone, but does not want to spend as much money, he buys a Samsung. Watching Samsung being in trouble and the possibility that their future products will either not be as good as the iPhone or/and not cheaper will repel them from ?investing? money in their products/OS.

You can see this already with the lower resale prices for Samsung devices. While analysts are more cautious about the impact of the verdict on the future of Samsung/Android, customers have already started to make their own judgement. It might take a couple of months or even years before we see the real consequences, but the competitive landscape has already changed.

Signature

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” Albert Einstein