AAPL Intraday Updates - Archive

• Posted: 27 August 2012 12:35 PM #76

Got an order in for 50 Week5 $660/$670 Bull Call Spreads at $7.10.  Break even $677.50 (includes fees and time premium discount from selling early).

At the moment, and for most of the morning AAPPL has been trading around $677, putting my Spread about $7.00 in the money.

I could have got them earlier, but was watching to see where the trading range was going to end up being.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 27 August 2012 12:54 PM #77

roni - 27 August 2012 03:03 PM

AAPL up 2.1%

April $650 calls up 11%

January $600’s up about 6%

I likey

Jan 14 700’s up 8.78%
    Jan 14 750s up 9.58%
    Jan 14 960’s up 13.51%

Winning!!!!

Posted: 27 August 2012 12:57 PM #78

I will revise and extend my bear shakeout theory.

AAPL is currently in the 677 holding pattern.  Under the cover of this, bears are quietly liquidating their positions.

Stage 2 rocket is near.

• Posted: 27 August 2012 01:07 PM #79

Mercel - 27 August 2012 02:09 PM

Fun fact about “The Rocket:”  The Saturn V accelerates slowly at launch, belying its power.  At the moment the Saturn V clears the top of the gantry (around 9 seconds), it’s traveling at 50 miles per hour.  The think the verdict is a big deal going forward.  Patience will be rewarded.

This may be one of those instances I often encounter where we, the informed, are way ahead of the herd who get their investment advice from the evening news.

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:17 PM #80

Zeke - 27 August 2012 04:07 PM
    Mercel - 27 August 2012 02:09 PM

Fun fact about “The Rocket:”  The Saturn V accelerates slowly at launch, belying its power.  At the moment the Saturn V clears the top of the gantry (around 9 seconds), it’s traveling at 50 miles per hour.  The think the verdict is a big deal going forward.  Patience will be rewarded.

This may be one of those instances I often encounter where we, the informed, are way ahead of the herd who get their investment advice from the evening news.

I agree. 

I have been rewarded by waiting since 2005 for this moment and in 7 years this decision will be seen in a different light.

WS is looking 6 months into the future and we her at AFB and BraeburnGroup look decades into the future like SJ.

GM on CNBC earlier is way off base.

He thinks it will hurt Samsung short term but not long term.  He could not be more wrong.

We need to wait for this to shake out and in 24 months the landscape will be much different.

In the mean time our stock has flatlined.  I see a move up in the next 2 hours.  Volume has dried up as well.

The more important days in my view will be Thursday and Friday.

I expect to see 665 on Wednesday and close to $700 by Friday.

Posted: 27 August 2012 02:08 PM #81

Mr. President?

What are you doing in Intraday?

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 27 August 2012 02:24 PM #82

Am I being a brat or should I be disappointed that we haven’t moved higher.  I feel like if AMZN had gotten news like this it would have been up $20.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 27 August 2012 02:26 PM #83

Phoebear611 - 27 August 2012 05:24 PM

Am I being a brat or should I be disappointed that we haven’t moved higher.  I feel like if AMZN had gotten news like this it would have been up $20.

+2

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 27 August 2012 02:34 PM #84

I mentioned the possibility of settlement following the verdict in an earlier post.  I think the linked article and analysis gets it about right.  Expect Samsung to talk publicly about an appeal and sit down behind the scenes and try to hammer out a settlement.  Probably in both parties best interests. 

Story is on Marketwatch.com. It will not link here for some reason, sorry.

• Posted: 27 August 2012 02:35 PM #85

26K contracts have traded in the 680 weeklies

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 27 August 2012 02:35 PM #86

Apple II+ - 27 August 2012 05:26 PM
    Phoebear611 - 27 August 2012 05:24 PM

+2

Hah!  No kidding.

Moved into more aggressive trades for now.  And not at the same time. wink

3x potential BCS at Jan 14
    5x potential BCS at Jan 13

A bit less actually but close enough.  Jan 13 will probably be a quicker trade, we’ll see.

I’m about 1/3 cash right now, which is usually where I like to be.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 August 2012 02:43 PM #87

While things are relatively quiet, I have a general question.  I have read Elder and a few tutorials on TA, but it seems to me that it rests on assumptions about the psychology of individuals taken as a large group. It all generally makes sense and seems reasonable, but I wonder how much of the theory has been changed to accommodate the effect of algorithmic trading.  If more than 40% of trades are done now by algorithms, are the underlying assumptions about independence and randomness really valid?  Does anyone know of definitive papers or books about the effect of algorithmic trading on options? 

I sense that the dominance of algorithms means that the market has transitioned from a random walk to a zero sum game that is being analyzed to maximize profits.  If this is the case, there should be a minimax strategy that can determine profits regardless of that others do.  This is Game Theory 101, so I am sure others have figured this out years ago, but I need to start somewhere. Any help?

Posted: 27 August 2012 02:50 PM #88

Grover - 27 August 2012 05:34 PM

I mentioned the possibility of settlement following the verdict in an earlier post.  I think the linked article and analysis gets it about right.  Expect Samsung to talk publicly about an appeal and sit down behind the scenes and try to hammer out a settlement.  Probably in both parties best interests. 

Story is on Marketwatch.com. It will not link here for some reason, sorry.

Apple?s stronger in win, but deals still likely (use Tinyurl.com for blacklisted links)

I dunno, Apple has a lot more patents than the ones it just litigated over. Apple has great leverage now, and I’d hope they’d be very deliberate and tough going forward with SAMEsung and every other patent thief. And we don’t even know if Judge Koh trebles the damages yet.

One thing I haven’t heard mentioned is that SAMEsung might consider dropping Android for its in-house OS, Tizen. Or go with Windows.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 27 August 2012 02:56 PM #89

Unbelievably tight trading range the last several hours.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 27 August 2012 03:03 PM #90

incorrigible - 27 August 2012 05:56 PM

Unbelievably tight trading range the last several hours.

Very similar to Thursday, August 16.  Hopefully, we can also follow this with a 30 point pop over the next 3 days.