AAPL Intraday Updates - Archive

• Posted: 27 August 2012 03:06 PM #91

incorrigible - 27 August 2012 05:56 PM

Unbelievably tight trading range the last several hours.

EO action?

• Posted: 27 August 2012 03:15 PM #92

Phoebear611 - 27 August 2012 05:24 PM

Am I being a brat or should I be disappointed that we haven’t moved higher.  I feel like if AMZN had gotten news like this it would have been up $20.

Google is down-but their chart looks more bullish than Apple’s.

Posted: 27 August 2012 03:19 PM #93

Zeke - 27 August 2012 04:07 PM
    Mercel - 27 August 2012 02:09 PM

Fun fact about “The Rocket:”  The Saturn V accelerates slowly at launch, belying its power.  At the moment the Saturn V clears the top of the gantry (around 9 seconds), it’s traveling at 50 miles per hour.  The think the verdict is a big deal going forward.  Patience will be rewarded.

This may be one of those instances I often encounter where we, the informed, are way ahead of the herd who get their investment advice from the evening news.

Ha

• Posted: 27 August 2012 03:23 PM #94

From Bloomberg TV:

BREAKING: Apple seeks ban on sales of 8 Samsung devices in U.S.

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 27 August 2012 03:38 PM #95

I’m ready for a $9 jump in the final 80mins

Signature

Because Longer is better…....

Posted: 27 August 2012 03:56 PM #96

rutgersguy92 - 27 August 2012 06:03 PM
    incorrigible - 27 August 2012 05:56 PM

Unbelievably tight trading range the last several hours.

Very similar to Thursday, August 16.  Hopefully, we can also follow this with a 30 point pop over the next 3 days.

I don’t even care if AAPL didn’t hold 675 end of day (though I obviously want it to, since it’s a resistance level converting into support).

A little perspective.  Supposedly, end-of-August trading is one of the sleepiest trading periods ever.  Also, the world’s waiting on the Jackson Hole event on Friday.

Considering what’s likely around the corner, I’m fine with setting up today and taking some shorter-term pain in anticipation of the next several weeks to months.  It’s more of a fundamentals/bigger-picture trend mindset, and really, Apple should kick things off with the iPhone media invite sometime next week (Dalrymple hasn’t taken back that “yep” on the Sept. 12 iPhone event).  So we probably won’t be waiting long anyway.

[ Edited: 27 August 2012 04:12 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 27 August 2012 04:38 PM #97

iPhone trade-ins ‘shoot through the roof’ as consumers lust for larger iPhone 5

Volume up 2,500% over last year’s pre-iPhone 4S announcement activity

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230648/iPhone_trade_ins_shoot_through_the_roof_as_consumers_lust_for_larger_iPhone_5

looks promising.

Posted: 27 August 2012 04:42 PM #98

Gridlock - 27 August 2012 07:38 PM

iPhone trade-ins ‘shoot through the roof’ as consumers lust for larger iPhone 5

Volume up 2,500% over last year’s pre-iPhone 4S announcement activity

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230648/iPhone_trade_ins_shoot_through_the_roof_as_consumers_lust_for_larger_iPhone_5

looks promising.

This is clearly not a technical data point, but in years past, I’ve had 1, maybe two friends ask me about “when the new iPhone comes out.”  This year in particular, I’ve had about 5 different friends ask me in the last month. All but 1 are Android users finally ready to jump ship. I can’t wait to see the sales numbers and the anticipated fall off in Android sales / activations, or whatever the heck it is Google “reports.”

Posted: 27 August 2012 05:00 PM #99

675 did NOT go down at the close!

Actually, it was a mini-repudiation of 674.  We ended the day at a nice 675.48 - all time closing high.  Not at all worried about that intraday 680.87 high due to event pricing and the expected volatility.

Keep tryin’, shorts!

AAPL 675

[ Edited: 27 August 2012 05:14 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 27 August 2012 05:07 PM #100

Phoebear611 - 27 August 2012 05:24 PM

Am I being a brat or should I be disappointed that we haven’t moved higher.  I feel like if AMZN had gotten news like this it would have been up $20.

What’s disappointing is that historical trend had AAPL moving this much without the news. Do you think investors knew, one to three years ago, that the verdict would be pro-Apple?

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 27 August 2012 05:15 PM #101

AAPL clearly isn’t following a historical playbook much anymore.  We’re in uncharted territory - profoundly so. 

We’re up on a flat day and holding an important level that’s converting into support. 

I say “congrats to the longs!” and enjoy the day for what it is.  Which is a very good one (even though I took a little portfolio pain to better position for future upside).

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 August 2012 05:17 PM #102

I feel bullish about tomorrow.

Since we did not hit 685 today.

I am always a day off.wink

• Posted: 27 August 2012 05:20 PM #103

JDSoCal - 27 August 2012 05:50 PM

One thing I haven’t heard mentioned is that SAMEsung might consider dropping Android for its in-house OS, Tizen. Or go with Windows.

I’ve long felt that MSFT would be a big beneficiary of this suit. Google isn’t going to step forward to cover its partner’s legal defense, and the partners don’t have the resources of a Samsung to roll the dice.

MSFT recently licensed some Apple iOS IP (which included a no “clone” section). By switching to Win 8/RT Google’s “partners” avoid a lethal legal hammer, AND get access to some Apple IP.  Ultimately, Google will be going it alone with its Motorola division.

In my estimation, right or wrong, the economics of fighting Apple spells the demise of Android. I look to see Android’s market share drop precipitously in the next 12 - 15 months, just about the time Apple launches some sort of search service that directly competes with Google.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 27 August 2012 05:22 PM #104

Nah.  Android will be fine for a while due to sheer inertia of smartphone vendors and phone plans that are already set.  The megatrend is pushing the handset mix to smartphones.  All of the handset vendors have room to do this, and since they’ve collectively and massively outsold Apple in smartphones since day one…

I do agree though that we should keep watching for a series of new Windows Phone models not made by Nokia. LOL  That’ll show up on the radar before after-the-fact market share reports do.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 August 2012 05:38 PM #105

Makes a great AAPL day even better.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120827005917/en/Craig-Federighi-Apple?s-Vice-President-Mac-Software

Let the Federighi-Forstall fight begin?  Nah, if anything I think this small move helps reinforce the importance of OS X (and reinforces Federighi’s feeling of worth at the company ever so slightly, which is a good thing).

And as a bonus, I was kinda hoping against hope this would happen:  Mansfield reconsidered on his retirement and he’ll keep workin’ at Apple!  Maybe not being an SVP was enough to take off some of the pressure and keep the job fun.  Those golden handcuffs might still be in play? raspberry

[ Edited: 27 August 2012 05:42 PM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.