2013 Mac / iPad sales

Posted: 29 August 2012 12:49 PM

Does anyone think we’ll see a large increase in Mac sales in 2013? I believe we will due to the negative reception Windows 8 will get from the general public.

Go onto youtube and watch normal people, everday users try and use the windows 8 preview.  They are 100% completely lost.  If all the new PC’s ship with this they will be returned the next day.

Now go and watch a new mac user use OSX for the first time on youtube. If they are already iphone or ipad users (which over 100 M people are) they can figure it out b/c there is a dock at the bottom which they are used to.  Apple uses the same App icons across devices which they are used to. There is an app store which they are used to. 

People like what is familiar. We could even see a big increase in ipad sales due to people going you know what windows 8 is hard to use but a mac is to expensive. I’ll buy the 500 dollar ipad instead.

I see 2013 as a big year for apple as microsoft is going to stub its toe big time.

tech people might drool over windows 8 but they aren’t normal users. it’s going to flop.

I think all this new iphone talk and tv talk has people forgetting the mac but i think we’ll see a big increase which people aren’t factoring into their revenue numbers as much.

any thoughts?

[ Edited: 29 August 2012 12:58 PM by spoonman ]      
  • Posted: 29 August 2012 12:53 PM #1

spoonman - 29 August 2012 03:49 PM

Does anyone think we’ll see a large increase in Mac sales in 2013? I believe we will due to the negative reception Windows 8 will get from the general public.

Go onto youtube and watch normal people, everday users try and use the windows 8 preview.  They are 100% completely lost.  If all the new PC’s ship with this they will be returned the next day.

Now go and watch a new mac user use OSX for the first time on youtube. If they are already iphone or ipad users (which over 100 M people are) they can figure it out b/c there is a dock at the bottom which they are used to.  Apple uses the same App icons across devices which they are used to. There is an app store which they are used to. 

People like what is familiar. We could even see a big increase in ipad sales due to people going you know what windows 8 is hard to use but a mac is to expensive. I’ll but the 500 dollar ipad instead.

I see 2013 as a big year for apple as microsoft is going to stub its toe big time.

tech people might drool over windows 8 but they aren’t normal users. it’s going to flop.

I think all this new iphone talk and tv talk has people forgetting the mac but i think we’ll see a big increase which people aren’t factoring into their revenue numbers as much.

any thoughts?

I think the iPad is where the action will be in 2013.

• Posted: 29 August 2012 12:58 PM #2

People like what is familiar. We could even see a big increase in ipad sales due to people going you know what windows 8 is hard to use but a mac is to expensive. I’ll but the 500 dollar ipad instead.

any thoughts?

I’m with you. I’d go further and say that Macs are in the process of going mainstream in the US (it may even reach places like Kansas!) even without Windows 8 flopping. I don’t know about internationally, but I have to imagine the effect may be similar.

Posted: 29 August 2012 12:59 PM #3

It’s as if Microsofit is pushing people towards iPads.  Metro is going to flop. An iPad is cheap and easy to use. I think you are right. small bump in mac sales for people who want PC power and an explosion of iPad sales in 2013.

• Posted: 29 August 2012 01:33 PM #4

Specially with new imacs coming soon!

Posted: 30 August 2012 12:16 PM #5

Microsoft has has zero ability to get a product right on the first try. Microsoft has NEVER (successfully) released a “leap frog” product. They are more of a see-what-others-are-doing-and-get-it-good-enough-to-suck-the-life-out-of-the-market type of company.

Since Steve returned and Apple started pushing innovation forward at full-speed, Microsoft has struggled mightily to keep up. I don’t anticipate Windows 8 changing that.

Posted: 30 August 2012 01:29 PM #6

+

At my day job, I’m already seeing a huge migration of home computer users switching to Macs (because everyone comes to me for Apple buying advice). Universally, there’s been no difficulty in these Windows users switching to OS X, because OS X and Windows share many similarities.

Metro (or whatever it will be called) has no such shared functionality, unless someone uses a Windows phone—and I don’t know anyone who uses a Windows phone. That’s why I agree that Windows 8 may actually push people towards the Mac, because ironically, OS X will be more familiar to Windows users than Metro.

On tablets, the iPad will continue to rule, helped again by the familiarity thing: People I know use to kinds of smartphones: Android and iPhone (or a company-issued Blackberry). Android is to iOS what Windows is to OS X: Similar enough that switching from one to the other is no big deal. That’s why Android users have iPads and iPhone users have iPads.

Windows 8 advantage on tablets? None. Metro, again, is too unfamiliar. The concepts of iOS/Android are now accepted as givens. Microsoft deserves plenty of credit for forging their own path, but I’m not sure it will be a path many choose to travel.

Geeks may freak out over Windows 8, but the average consumer will stick with familiar tools, and that will mean more Macs and iPads sold.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

• Posted: 30 August 2012 02:07 PM #7

gliderplane - 29 August 2012 03:58 PM

I’m with you. I’d go further and say that Macs are in the process of going mainstream in the US (it may even reach places like Kansas!) even without Windows 8 flopping.

LOL. I just moved my daughter to Lawrence Kansas (grad student at KU). The Mac display in the campus bookstore is larger than the entire PC display.

I was there for 2 weeks and spent a lot of time on Massachusetts (5 blocks of young people eateries/pubs). The number of Macs vs PCs was significant.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 30 August 2012 02:26 PM #8

Gregg Thurman - 30 August 2012 05:07 PM
    gliderplane - 29 August 2012 03:58 PM

I’m with you. I’d go further and say that Macs are in the process of going mainstream in the US (it may even reach places like Kansas!) even without Windows 8 flopping.

LOL. I just moved my daughter to Lawrence Kansas (grad student at KU). The Mac display in the campus bookstore is larger than the entire PC display.

I was there for 2 weeks and spent a lot of time on Massachusetts (5 blocks of young people eateries/pubs). The number of Macs vs PCs was significant.

Yes! If this doesn’t predict a new boom in Mac sales, I don’t know what does.

• Posted: 30 August 2012 02:40 PM #9

Preface: Things people seem to not get about Windows 8

? The “start button” is Metro. It lives in the Lower Left corner of Desktop as a hidden button.
    ? The Upper/Lower Right side of Desktop & Metro hides more settings options, including Shutdown
    ? Desktop is still quite usable
    ? “Advanced” features like Desktop are one or two additional clicks to access then they were before.

I actually find it rather comical that as a Mac guy for most of my life I find Windows 8 almost easier to use then prior versions I’ve had the misfortune of having to deal with. Granted my two longest uses of Windows was 3.1 and XP.

The things people are raging about kinda feel like people not wanting to bother actually learning a new interface *cough* OS *cough*. The two biggest teeth gnashing I keep reading are the missing Desktop and Start Button. This has me scratching my head as I’ve been able to get to both with relative ease.

What I will note is that most “advanced” or “power user” features are 1 or 2 clicks more to access then they used to be in XP or even 7. For example the Start Button is now pegged to the lower left corner and fills the whole screen when open (a.ka. Metro). The All Programs feature that I’ve seen virtually every Windows user rely on to run programs (vs Apples Applications folder) is now a Right Click > All Apps button down in the lower Right of Metro.

If Microsoft did three things:
    1) Have a Settings option to make Desktop the default display mode
    2) Put the “Start” button back in the lower left in such a mode
    3) Put the All Applications button in the lower left without a right click

I’d say 90% of the general user rage would vanish.

Quite honestly I actually like the direction MS is going with 8, making a default “easy” mode (I can think of some family members that would have really be useful for) with a hidden “advanced” backend which is actually user accessible. This is something that Apple is doing quite wrong with Mountain Lion. If anything Apple is going the other direction and slowly locking out the “advanced” mode and making it progressively harder to switch into.

There needs to be an understanding in this drive in making OSs “consumer” accessible that there needs to be a magic switch somewhere that will “unclip the mittens” to so speak and let power users be power users. Half the point is that if they know enough to flip that “power user” switch then they don’t need to have their hands held.

We’ll see if MS grows a brain and realizes my above 3 fixes to the majority of the whining. If they do, Windows 8 is at least as stable as 7 and has the advantage of having a “touch” interface built in at the ground level for things like Kinect to mimic touch screen environments where none exists (think projectors in classroom or home theater).

I’ll add a 4th fix. On initial setup it should do a hardware detect and see if there is a touch screen environment or Mouse+Keyboard. If it only finds a Mouse+Keyboard then it should default to Desktop mode and let the use have to flip the switch to make Metro the main startup.

[ Edited: 30 August 2012 02:43 PM by Dorje Sylas ]      
  • Posted: 30 August 2012 09:01 PM #10

I haven’t really looked into how Windows 8 works until just recently. I found this video that pointed out some of the frustrations people might have with this new OS. From what I saw there’s not going to be any reason for people to upgrade. Power users will hate all of the metro stuff that will hurt productivity and the regular public will not know all the hidden menus and get lost. I think this may be even more frustrating than Window Vista. If the word gets out and people start telling everyone to avoid it which I think will happen then I would definitely expect Macs and iPads sales to increase.

Check out this video on YouTube about Windows 8. It very eye opening of the problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0fsyb-ttcw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Posted: 30 August 2012 10:00 PM #11

People like what is familiar. We could even see a big increase in ipad sales due to people going you know what windows 8 is hard to use but a mac is to expensive. I’ll buy the 500 dollar ipad instead.

any thoughts?

I have no knowledge of Windows 8 but after a lifetime of using Windows I still can’t figure out my MBP or MBA at all. I use them for the most basic things and really don’t know what I’m doing beyond those few basic tasks after a couple years of using them. I basically hate them except for the fact that the MBA is the lightest, coolest computer of all time which makes me love it for the very simple things (email and web surfing). I also love the MBP because it still works pretty well after a couple years. No Windows laptop I ever had could last nearly that long.

If Windows 8 is as bad as my Macs in terms of me being able to figure out how to use it I’ll be shocked but I guess I’ll then have to make a tough choice…learn Windows 8 or take some Mac classes.

Edited to say scratch me having to make a choice any time soon. I’ll just stick with the Windows I currently have.

[ Edited: 31 August 2012 12:30 AM by adamthompson32 ]      

Posted: 31 August 2012 01:55 AM #12

My early 2013 numbers:

120 million iPads (does not account for any new models)
    25 million Macs

The PC market has stopped growing - the only hope it has for growth is if tablets are suddenly included in the definition of PC, which will probably happen seeing as Windows 8 will ship on desktops, laptops, tablets, convertible tablets/laptops.

If tablets (even windows 8 ones) are still not counted in the PC market then windows 8 will either simply slow the exodus away from PCs (if its good) or accelerate the exodus (if its bad/average).

I think iPads will capture the lions share of this market (rather than Macs), but there may be a need for a larger format iPad, or perhaps an iOS imac-style desktop or laptop device range for long term market domination (particually for business - the current style of iPad will never replace a PC/Mac for intensive spreadsheet/word processing business usage).

[ Edited: 31 August 2012 02:01 AM by Burgess ]

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 31 August 2012 10:18 AM #13

adamthompson32 - 31 August 2012 01:00 AM

any thoughts?

I have no knowledge of Windows 8 but after a lifetime of using Windows I still can’t figure out my MBP or MBA at all. I use them for the most basic things and really don’t know what I’m doing beyond those few basic tasks after a couple years of using them. I basically hate them except for the fact that the MBA is the lightest, coolest computer of all time which makes me love it for the very simple things (email and web surfing). I also love the MBP because it still works pretty well after a couple years. No Windows laptop I ever had could last nearly that long.

If Windows 8 is as bad as my Macs in terms of me being able to figure out how to use it I’ll be shocked but I guess I’ll then have to make a tough choice…learn Windows 8 or take some Mac classes.

Edited to say scratch me having to make a choice any time soon. I’ll just stick with the Windows I currently have.

I’m just the opposite.  The company I work for was all Macs and I’m one of the last to be forced to use Windows and for the life of me I can’t easily negotiate Windows.

The most maddening feature of Windows is the difference between Word and Excel.  One opens separate windows on the desktop the other opens an app window containing separate file windows.  Everyone politely explains that I should open the app twice or more for each file.

Ultimately it is what you’re used to.

[ Edited: 31 August 2012 10:20 AM by rickag ]

Signature

Waiting to be included in one of Apple’s target markets, but I still own an iPod, iPhone and iMac and APPL stock.

• Posted: 31 August 2012 12:13 PM #14

Dorje Sylas - 30 August 2012 05:40 PM

? The Upper/Lower Right side of Desktop & Metro hides more settings….

Upper/Lower?

Nevermind, that sounds exactly like Microsoft.

• Posted: 25 September 2012 01:17 AM #15

In forecasting Mac unit sales, the decline of the global PC industry must be factored into the numbers. Apple will continue to gain PC market share and continue to gain PC revenue share even if the rates of Mac unit sales growth begin to slow.