Forum Downtime on Monday (Labor Day in USA)

Posted: 30 August 2012 04:01 PM

Greetings, folks!

As many of you are aware, we’ve been working behind the scenes on a new design for TMO since… November. Monday (yes, this Monday) will be the day we roll that out. In addition to a new design, we’re upgrading our content management system, too, and that means we have to take the existing database and import it into the new system. All your accounts will work, all the posts will be here. Really the only impact is that we have to make a backup, do all the work, then turn the new site on. In the interim anything that was posted here (or really done here at all) would be lost (because the content on the new site only exists as of the time we do the backup).

Short version: we’ll be turning off the forums at some point on Monday, and then they’ll come back on when we roll the new version that same day (or later that evening). We expect downtime to be measured in hours of the single-digit type, but it could be close.

Thanks for your patience, and we can’t wait to show you what we’ve been working on. We hope you love it.

-Dave

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 30 August 2012 04:50 PM #1

If the list of improvements includes same or better overall performance despite the new look, is iOS/mobile-friendly,  lets you delete posts even, I’m all for it!

Just be sure the ads remain relatively non-intrusive to the forum reading/posting experience, about where they are now.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 30 August 2012 05:13 PM #2

Thanks, Mav. The new look will perform even better, that’s almost a given. The site itself is more iOS/iPhone/Mobile friendly, but the forums will be the same for everyone, at least out of the gate. We needed to cut the feature list *somewhere* in order to simply launch. As I said—a big part of this is the behind-the-scenes update, and that will allow us to do more things faster, so.. options for mobile forum users are something that’s definitely on the short list.

That said, the ads in the forums will be very unobtrusive, especially on the thread pages where you’re reading posts (like this one). I think you’ll be quite happy with that.

ANd if you’re not, you’ll tell us, and we’ll get to work. wink

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 31 August 2012 12:15 PM #3

Looking forward to it. I’ve sent Bryan a few bug reports and I’m glad to see you’re looking at upgrading the site.

Option to vote posts + or - ?

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 31 August 2012 02:51 PM #4

+

Looking forward to seeing the new site as well. It’s been great watching TMO evolve over the years, and continue to thrive. If I’m not mistaken, years ago the entire site was somehow based on phpBB. Are you using a modified stock CMS now (Drupal, etc.) or all custom code?

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 31 August 2012 10:19 PM #5

Good Luck

Will look forward to the new interface on Tuesday (?) my time

Signature

Smile they said, it could be worse. So we did, and it was!

Posted: 01 September 2012 12:22 AM #6

Does that mean that I was an official TMO Alpha tester?  WooHoo!

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics