Yay! Mac Pro!

Posted: 31 August 2012 04:40 PM

As per Tetrachloride’s request… photos of the new beast.

2006 Mac Pro and 2012 Mac Pro. Apple certainly got their value out of the tooling for that assembly line.

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

Posted: 31 August 2012 04:41 PM #1

A few more differences here. That new graphics card sure looks purdy :D

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

Posted: 31 August 2012 04:45 PM #2

Now the not so fun part of yanking all those cards…

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

Posted: 31 August 2012 05:41 PM #3

Well, that was easy. Advantage of (old)new hardware… still runs Snow Leopard no problem. Back up and running. Simplest brain transplant ever. From 4 cores to 24!

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

Posted: 31 August 2012 05:42 PM #4

cambrose - 31 August 2012 07:40 PM

As per Tetrachloride’s request… photos of the new beast.

2006 Mac Pro and 2012 Mac Pro. Apple certainly got their value out of the tooling for that assembly line.

That’s awesome cambrose!  Jealous!

Mind if you put up your new rig’s specs?

Posted: 31 August 2012 05:45 PM #5

Epic upgrade !!!!

This is the kind of transition that many of us only dream about.

Posted: 31 August 2012 05:47 PM #6

mjuarez - 31 August 2012 08:42 PM

Mind if you put up your new rig’s specs?

Proc         Two 2.40GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
    Mem         12GB (6X2GB)
    Graph   ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
    HD Bay1   2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    Opt         One 18x SuperDrive

Just got the new low-end config (with best graphics card). This is such a step up from what it’s replacing, didn’t need to shell out much more cash for the faster procs.

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

• Posted: 31 August 2012 06:15 PM #7

What software you running? Pro Tools? Logic?

Signature

Posted: 31 August 2012 06:18 PM #8

John Molloy - 31 August 2012 09:15 PM

What software you running? Pro Tools? Logic?

Pro Tools 9 HD3 for the studio.

I run Logic/Main Stage on my performance rig.

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

• Posted: 31 August 2012 10:59 PM #9

Still nice looking machines after all these years; the design almost qualifies as “retro.”  grin

Congrats and enjoy…

Posted: 31 August 2012 11:03 PM #10

Did an acid test of 24 instances of high end long reverb and the processor utilization was at 10%. With 27 cores of DSP and 23 cores on the CPUs, I don’t think there’s any way I’m maxing this puppy out. DAE Errors no more :D

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

Posted: 01 September 2012 02:06 AM #11

24 cores is freaky. Running as much of a session as I can on CPU and still only 30%.

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

Posted: 01 September 2012 02:51 AM #12

Keep piling on the platitudes.  Its a 3-day weekend for most of us.

Posted: 03 September 2012 02:41 AM #13

As much as I would have loved to wait for actual “new” hardware with the latest procs and thunderbolt, this was actually a good choice. This hardware is perfectly compatible with the old and new versions of Pro Tools so made for a seamless upgrade. As already stated, this is fast enough for my needs and should last me for the next 6 years.

Have to wonder where Apple is going with the Pro line though. I’ve heard a few people on podcasts now state they’ve ditched their Mac Pros for the new Retina MBP because it’s faster. I agree that it’s great to have this much power in a portable and Thunderbolt is out of this world, but for pure number crunching, they are no Mac Pro. Just ran Cinebench on both and my RMBP comes in at 6.14 and the Mac Pro (with slowest 2 year old processors) at 12.64.

Very glad to get confirmation that Apple will be continuing with a pro model and obviously, we’re going to get a new enclosure. Being a guy who needs to be able to put cards in a machine, my big fear has always been that Apple will do away with a system that can handle cards. Thunderbolt has the ability to change this game completely. We no longer need all of the subsystems to be in one big box. We could have one little box with awesomely expensive processors, one box with wickedly fast storage, and one Thunderbolt expansion chassis for cards.

We’ve already got the fast storage. I’ve got a Promise R6 and aside from it always complaining it’s too hot, this thing is fast like I’ve never seen. Sonnet, OWC, and Netstor have options coming out for PCIe expansion via Thunderbolt. All we really need is a new Pro Mac with the latest greatest processors. Is modular the way forward?

We’ve been feeling for a long time like the Pro user was going to be abandoned because it just can’t be that big of a market, but if Apple could get the prices down by producing a simpler product that is just a number crunching workhorse, the market might expand. There is no shortage of people doing high-end video, photography, 3D, music, software design, and scientific apps in need of blazing processors.

Can’t wait to see what Apple is up to.

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

Posted: 03 September 2012 04:09 AM #14

cambrose - 03 September 2012 05:41 AM

Can’t wait to see what Apple is up to.

I was part of a group just waiting to upgrade my MacPro this year.  I was literally ready to buy the new MacPro the moment it came out.  Except I wasn’t planning on them coming out with… nothing. :(  My MacPro is a quad-core 1,1 from 2006, so it’s showing its age.  However, it’s still blazing fast for everything I do, so I convinced myself I can live another year without upgrading.

The thing is, after a few months, I’ve come to realize I don’t really need most of that power.  I used to play a lot, but most of that is done on the XBox nowadays.  Also, used to require hardware that was able to do fast compiles on demand, but even my “lowly” i7 quad core on my work MBP is plenty fast.  Upgradeability used to be a big thing, but again, not really needed these days.  The only thing I’ve upgraded on it is the video card, which was only done for playing WoW back then.

So, I’m convinced my next serious setup will probably be an updated 15” MBP retina with a TB monitor at home and external TB storage (thinking about Drobo 5D).  That will give me full power + portability, and not having to sync files or settings between machines is a nice bonus.

I would like to see AAPL continue the Mac Pro line, adding more power and expandability every year, but I just don’t see it.  That market is niche-small, and relative to AAPL’s other business lines, getting smaller by the minute.  My guess is we’ll get a small box, (a Mini Pro, if you will), with up to 2 of the energy-efficient Xeons coming out.  Only RAM will be user-upgradeable, if at all.  Anything else, you can do through Thunderbolt.

Posted: 10 September 2012 12:56 AM #15

Go figure… right after I finally decide to stop waiting for Avid to show us the future with Thunderbolt, we get this.

Oh well, still not unhappy with my purchase. I’m sure it will take them a while to bring their HDX line into the Thunderbolt universe.

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3