Weekend Updates - Archive

Posted: 31 August 2012 08:41 PM

The bar is open!!

[ Edited: 04 September 2012 07:35 AM by lovemyipad ]      

Posted: 31 August 2012 08:46 PM #1

This week was kinda like the big court win for Apple never happened.

If only I knew when I risk pivoted Monday.

I’ll live.  It’s 675 vs. 665.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 31 August 2012 08:48 PM #2

Hey iPad, hope you had a good week.  Bot a few Apr 660/680 BCSs on the dip today.

Now get out of that house!
    Cheers

Posted: 31 August 2012 08:59 PM #3

ChasMac77 - 31 August 2012 11:48 PM

Hey iPad, hope you had a good week.  Bot a few Apr 660/680 BCSs on the dip today.

Now get out of that house!
    Cheers

LOL, Chas!  You know me so well! :D

VERY nice strikes/expirations—thumbs up!! smile

Posted: 31 August 2012 09:18 PM #4

I’m heading into this weekend with a new long option buy, Nov expiry.  Given my impeccable sense of market timing, particularly when there’s no trend, you can pray for me, if you like…

(In all seriousness, the account’s OK and there are some countermeasures I can take if I’m wrong.)

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 31 August 2012 09:20 PM #5

Mav - 01 September 2012 12:18 AM

I’m heading into this weekend with a new long option buy, Nov expiry.  Given my impeccable sense of market timing, particularly when there’s no trend, you can pray for me, if you like…

(In all seriousness, the account’s OK and there are some countermeasures I can take if I’m wrong.)

You crazy wild man!!!

(happy about the afternote.)

Posted: 31 August 2012 09:21 PM #6

You don’t even know exactly what I bought!  Well that’s partly because I didn’t tell you. wink

But if I did, you wouldn’t think I was _totally_ crazy.  It’s ITM, for one.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 31 August 2012 09:23 PM #7

It was a sleepy and unpredictable market week so I kinda just watched from a distance and let the mental batteries recharge a bit.

Now that I think about it, I only traded twice this week:  Monday and end of Friday.  Like bookends!

The REAL fun*** begins soon…

***Fun is subjective; might not actually be fun; might be caustically sarcastic; may cause flatulence

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 31 August 2012 10:06 PM #8

AAPL HUGS & KISSES CHART:

Posted: 31 August 2012 10:15 PM #9

“Third Parties Wish Apple Wouldn’t Double Down on Secrecy So Much”

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/31/accessory-manufacturers-fear-missing-holiday-sales-rush-as-apple-remains-mum-on-new-ios-device-dock-connector/

Welcome to the Made for iPod/iPhone program, guys.  Change Happens.?  Honestly, you were almost “spoiled” by the Dock Connector’s almost-ridiculously long run.

And hey, you’ll find out about the new charge/sync cable deal as soon as the rest of us do. LOL

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 31 August 2012 10:55 PM #10

I’m guessing we expected Apple to target Samsung for some more patent infringement?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/01/us-apple-samsung-products-idUSBRE88001020120901

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 31 August 2012 11:05 PM #11

I took profits on April positions, opened on July 31 and later, on Thursday and Friday.

Now 51% AAPL (small amount of shares and Jan 2014 $600’s), 20% dividend positions (added a Canadian bank and a utility with about 2/3rds of the April profits), and 29% cash

Cash is 119% of the total account value on Jan 1 of this year.  It has been a good year smile

This weekend we clean out the shed, garage, and storage in the attic.  On the way for preparing for retirement in May, 2013.

[ Edited: 01 September 2012 10:37 AM by roni ]      

Posted: 31 August 2012 11:12 PM #12

Amazon’s “next iPad killer”, or perhaps just a spam device
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444914904577623690307576820.html

Amazon Heats Up Gadget Wars

By GREG BENSINGER

Amazon.com Inc. AMZN?+0.83% is ratcheting up pricing pressure in the gadget wars with an advertising-supported tablet that will be priced lower than similar models, according to people involved in the discussions.

The tablet will be part of a parade of new devices expected to hit the market with hopes of appealing to consumers in a tight economy during the crucial holiday season.

Tablet Wars

See how some of the more popular tablets stack up.

View Interactive

On Wednesday, Nokia Corp. NOK1V.HE?+1.07% is set to give a peek at the first line of smartphones powered by Microsoft Corp.‘s MSFT?+1.65% new Windows 8 operating system in New York. Across town that day, Motorola Mobility is expected to unveil its first major phone since it was acquired by Google Inc. GOOG?+0.50%

And Amazon on Thursday is holding a media event in Santa Monica, Calif., where it is expected to introduce a new version of its Kindle Fire tablet.

Those companies are trying to get ahead of rival Apple Inc., AAPL?+0.21% which on Sept. 12 is expected to unveil a new iPhone.

Apple has also been working with suppliers on a smaller version of its iPad tablet that will be similar in size to the current Kindle Fire, people familiar with the matter have said, while Microsoft said it would start selling its new Surface tablet in the coming months.

“You’ve got a flood of competitors in tablets,” said Jeff Kagan, an independent analyst. “Marketers have to figure out how to differentiate theirs, whether on price or capabilities. That’s probably going to be a few years before we get there.”

The cheaper, ad-supported offering from Amazon, along with other upcoming gadgets from electronics makers, could put pressure on Apple, which has become the world’s most valuable company in part by pricing its devices at a premium.

An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment.

Amazon initially got into the device market in 2007, when it launched a line of Kindle e-readers.

The Seattle company has since dropped the price of its Kindle e-reader significantly. The device originally was priced at $399, and soon dropped to $359, then fell to $299 for a later version.

Last year, Amazon launched a slate of Kindle e-readers that were priced between $109 and $189, with models offered for $30 to $50 less to readers willing to have advertisements appear on screen savers and at the bottom of certain screens.

In the tablet arena, Amazon dove in last November when it released its $199 Kindle Fire. The seven-inch-screen device is priced aggressively compared with Apple’s iPad, which starts at $499.

On Thursday, Amazon said it had sold out of the Kindle Fire, while promising “an exciting road map ahead.”

It is unclear how well Amazon’s Kindle Fire has sold. The company doesn’t disclose sales.

Amazon’s new ad-supported tablet would come at a discount to tablets without the advertising subsidy, said the people involved in the product discussions. Exact pricing and which advertisers are involved is unclear.

The new tablet would display an ad after the user “wakes” the gadget, said one person briefed on the matter.

Amazon has discussed how some versions of the new tablet would connect to the Internet only through Wi-Fi networks, said the person briefed on the product.

Additionally, Amazon is testing its own smartphone to take on Apple’s iPhone and could release it as soon as the end of this year, officials at Amazon’s parts providers who declined to be named said in July.

As of the second quarter, Amazon’s Kindle Fire had just 4.2% of the global tablet market in terms of unit sales, compared with 70% for the iPad, according to research firm IHS Inc.

On Thursday, Amazon said the Fire has 22% of the U.S. tablet market.

Write to Greg Bensinger at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

[ Edited: 31 August 2012 11:19 PM by DavidCV100 ]      
  • Posted: 01 September 2012 10:35 AM #13

In the competitive landscape, Horace Deidu estimates that Amazon sold 5 million Fire tablets over 9 months at a loss of about $40 each.

Article at Asymco

Posted: 01 September 2012 11:06 AM #14

roni - 01 September 2012 01:35 PM

In the competitive landscape, Horace Deidu estimates that Amazon sold 5 million Fire tablets over 9 months at a loss of about $40 each.

Article at Asymco

Sell 5M at a loss and get rewarded with a P/E of over 300.  Oh the irony.

Posted: 01 September 2012 12:30 PM #15

I want an invitation to something….....why do I feel there is a wedding or a Bar Mitzvah or a product rollout that I’m waiting for…...maybe Tuesday…yes, Tuesday   :wink:

Signature

AAPL: to boldly go where no stock has gone before