Weekend Updates - Archive

• Posted: 03 September 2012 01:23 AM #76

Bruce Wills is suing aapl
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2012/09/02/ownage-bruce-willis-to-sue-apple-over-right-to-bequeath-his-itunes-library/?partner=yahootix

[ Edited: 03 September 2012 01:28 AM by nate010203 ]      
  • Posted: 03 September 2012 01:40 AM #77

I’m going to make a prediction that we see new iMacs this Tuesday.

Posted: 03 September 2012 01:56 AM #78

Mercel - 03 September 2012 04:40 AM

promises, promises…..I hope your intuition is correct!

Signature

“My mind hovers on hummingbird wings.”  D. Eggers

• Posted: 03 September 2012 01:59 AM #79

Burgess - 03 September 2012 04:18 AM
    omacvi - 03 September 2012 02:59 AM

IPhone 5, iPad Mini, iMacs, iPods,  earnings, elections, dividend.

Too much stuff to keep us down this year.

Will be buying leaps come Tuesday or Wednesday.

Also had dinner with a good friend who works for Google.

His words ” Google does not know what they are doing”. He was referring to hardware development.

Samsung has been saving Android.  We will see how long that lasts.

If Samsung promoted Windows Phone as their flagship platform, it would be a surprising, and glorious day indeed. It would split apples competition right down the middle - Divide & conquer.

Perhaps Apple might bring it up in negotiations: “Drop android and we will be best buds again.”

I’ve contended for a while now, that Apple has been maneuvering to get Android partners to move to another platform. 

There are really only 3 to choose from: RIMM, iOS and Winn 8/RT. RIMM’s new QNX derived OS is unproven, Apple isn’t going to license iOS, but wait, Apple did license some elements of iOS to MSFT. Importantly, in that license agreement was a provision of NO CLONES (iow NO COPYING).

In reality there is only one alternative to Android for Google’s manufacturing partners, and that is Win 8/RT.  So, if Samsung switches to Win 8/RT, they get the iOS features they were just found guilty of violating, but in the Win 8/RT license agreement they have to pledge not to copy Apple’s hardware.

This is a good deal for Apple, MSFT and Samsung. On the other hand Google is left with an OS nobody wants to use.  Google’s future in mobile advertising becomes entirely dependent on iOS apps, agreements with app developers, and what they can muster from Motorola.

Without Samsung sales of Android powered devices I don’t see Google mustering the same level of Android support in the development community as they currently enjoy. Except for desktop search, Google is effectively neutered.  I hope Andy Rubin has been saving his paychecks.

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

• Posted: 03 September 2012 07:03 AM #80

Gregg Thurman - 03 September 2012 04:59 AM

His words ” Google does not know what they are doing”. He was referring to hardware development.

If Samsung promoted Windows Phone as their flagship platform, it would be a surprising, and glorious day indeed. It would split apples competition right down the middle - Divide & conquer.

Perhaps Apple might bring it up in negotiations: “Drop android and we will be best buds again.”

I’ve contended for a while now, that Apple has been maneuvering to get Android partners to move to another platform. 

There are really only 3 to choose from: RIMM, iOS and Winn 8/RT. RIMM’s new QNX derived OS is unproven, Apple isn’t going to license iOS, but wait, Apple did license some elements of iOS to MSFT. Importantly, in that license agreement was a provision of NO CLONES (iow NO COPYING).

In reality there is only one alternative to Android for Google’s manufacturing partners, and that is Win 8/RT.  So, if Samsung switches to Win 8/RT, they get the iOS features they were just found guilty of violating, but in the Win 8/RT license agreement they have to pledge not to copy Apple’s hardware.

This is a good deal for Apple, MSFT and Samsung. On the other hand Google is left with an OS nobody wants to use.  Google’s future in mobile advertising becomes entirely dependent on iOS apps, agreements with app developers, and what they can muster from Motorola.

Without Samsung sales of Android powered devices I don’t see Google mustering the same level of Android support in the development community as they currently enjoy. Except for desktop search, Google is effectively neutered.  I hope Andy Rubin has been saving his paychecks.

‘Smokin crack’ (or ‘wet dream’ if you like that more wink) statements. It doesn’t matter what (new) Flagship Phone Samsung releases (or what phone it promotes as flagship-of-the-moment), or if it runs Win8 or Android. Samsung is perfectly capable of working around the Apple problems, which it will do. And it will keep selling Android phones and all flavors and colors. And it will start and keep selling Win8 phones in all flavors and colors. Android will be around for a long LONG time, if not for forever. The trial won’t change a thing, except for a monetarily loss for Samsung (ant hopefully a huge gain for Apple smile) Samsung will create all the work-around’s that are needed and keep shipping Android phones as hot Cackes. Those turbo-amoled displays are BEAUTIFUL! And black is BLACK. Which rimes on ‘smokin crack’. smile

Apple will prevail because of continued innovation, not by battling Android.

Posted: 03 September 2012 09:19 AM #81

mtjs - 03 September 2012 10:03 AM
    Gregg Thurman - 03 September 2012 04:59 AM

‘Smokin crack’ (or ‘wet dream’ if you like that more wink) statements. It doesn’t matter what (new) Flagship Phone Samsung releases (or what phone it promotes as flagship-of-the-moment), or if it runs Win8 or Android. Samsung is perfectly capable of working around the Apple problems, which it will do. And it will keep selling Android phones and all flavors and colors. And it will start and keep selling Win8 phones in all flavors and colors. Android will be around for a long LONG time, if not for forever. The trial won’t change a thing, except for a monetarily loss for Samsung (ant hopefully a huge gain for Apple smile) Samsung will create all the work-around’s that are needed and keep shipping Android phones as hot Cackes. Those turbo-amoled displays are BEAUTIFUL! And black is BLACK. Which rimes on ‘smokin crack’. smile

Apple will prevail because of continued innovation, not by battling Android.

This is a very young market, there is defnitiley no guarantee that android will last as a product for any time longer than the short term. You may be to young/old to remember this, but back in the late 80s the PC industry had a half dozen potential platforms that all looked promising, along with the Mac, the Amiga & Atari platforms were technically and visually very promising and had a decent marketshare. At that stage Microsoft was still shipping DOS. Look how that turned out, just a handful of years later it was a windows world.

Android has so far cost google billions in R&D and acquisition costs, for very little in the way in revenue. Google is also faced with losing the leading supplier of consumers for its mobile search/maps/ad producs, which happens to be apple. As mobile revenue fails to materialize, there is every chance google may chose to drop android as an unnessecary expense and failed experiment and/or reserve it solely for its fully integrated mobile device division (Motorola). At the moment googles android is even being used by its biggest cloud computing rival to sell a competting product (kindle fire) That is seemingly outselling all other android vendors tablets. Lets not even get started on the patent
    Iiabilites that could end in royalties larger than the several dollars per user google hopes to get from the market.

Given the choice, Larry & Serg would rather partner back with apple than be facing the soon to be situation of being completely sidelined on the dominant smartphone platform in the worlds most valuable consumer market.

Google already pays apple hundreds of millions in consumer acquisition costs each year from safari & iOS referrals - I wouldn’t put it past them to significantly up that to several billion a year to be the default provider for iOS again, with an agreement to kill android or severely alter it to something completely unlike it’s current iOS-like status.

Samsung is merely at the mercy of what its software providers offer, google currently owns the goose that lays Samsungs golden eggs. If google kills the goose, Samsung only has failed & unproven platforms to fall back on (Windows phone, nada, Rimm?, webOS revival). Not a pretty picture, especially when you consider the amout of distancing from samsung google did post verdict in the recent US trial.

[ Edited: 03 September 2012 09:22 AM by Burgess ]

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 03 September 2012 10:13 AM #82

This blog should bring a smile to the spread folks here:
    AAPL spreads

cheers to the longs
          JohnG

• Posted: 03 September 2012 10:23 AM #83

Burgess - 03 September 2012 12:19 PM

[...]

This is a very young market, there is defnitiley no guarantee that android will last as a product for any time longer than the short term. You may be to young/old to remember this, but back in the late 80s the PC industry had a half dozen potential platforms that all looked promising, along with the Mac, the Amiga & Atari platforms were technically and visually very promising and had a decent marketshare. At that stage Microsoft was still shipping DOS. Look how that turned out, just a handful of years later it was a windows world.

Android has so far cost google billions in R&D and acquisition costs, for very little in the way in revenue. Google is also faced with losing the leading supplier of consumers for its mobile search/maps/ad producs, which happens to be apple. As mobile revenue fails to materialize, there is every chance google may chose to drop android as an unnessecary expense and failed experiment and/or reserve it solely for its fully integrated mobile device division (Motorola). At the moment googles android is even being used by its biggest cloud computing rival to sell a competting product (kindle fire) That is seemingly outselling all other android vendors tablets. Lets not even get started on the patent
    Iiabilites that could end in royalties larger than the several dollars per user google hopes to get from the market.

Given the choice, Larry & Serg would rather partner back with apple than be facing the soon to be situation of being completely sidelined on the dominant smartphone platform in the worlds most valuable consumer market.

Google already pays apple hundreds of millions in consumer acquisition costs each year from safari & iOS referrals - I wouldn’t put it past them to significantly up that to several billion a year to be the default provider for iOS again, with an agreement to kill android or severely alter it to something completely unlike it’s current iOS-like status.

Samsung is merely at the mercy of what its software providers offer, google currently owns the goose that lays Samsungs golden eggs. If google kills the goose, Samsung only has failed & unproven platforms to fall back on (Windows phone, nada, Rimm?, webOS revival). Not a pretty picture, especially when you consider the amout of distancing from samsung google did post verdict in the recent US trial.

Been there in the 80’s, loved the music. smile Your statements are true except for the fact that Amiga, Atari, ... didn’t had an app store with a gazillion apps. And that makes the Android platform a strong player to stay even if Google dumps it. It is all open source. If Google stops anyone can fork it and call it ... mtjsMobileOs. Yet I’m more inclined to say that Google will keep supporting android to have a controlling foot in that market.

Posted: 03 September 2012 02:05 PM #84

Angela Moon at Reuters (NBC News link) says heavy trading tomorrow, plus Fed news and non-farm payrolls on the calendar.

Wall Street is likely to kick off September with heavy trading volume while it hopes that the European Central Bank will hint at further stimulus measures to boost the global economy.

On Friday, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said that the central bank stands ready to bolster the economy if necessary, although he stopped short of giving an explicit signal of more monetary easing.

“This (Bernanke speech) was in line with what we were expecting. He left the door open but didn’t announce anything explicit. He doesn’t intend to front-run his own FOMC (policy) meeting,” said Liz Ann Sonders, New York-based chief investment strategist at Charles Schwab Corp, which has $1.6 trillion in client assets.

Investors are now awaiting comments from European Central Bank President Mario Draghi after the bank’s meeting on Thursday. Many investors will look to the ECB meeting to glean strong clues on what to expect from the Federal Open Market Committee’s own policy meeting the following week on Sept 12-13.

“Between now and mid-September, we’ll be focusing on the ECB, though the next FOMC meeting is also around the time that the German court meets, so we’ll be getting news on both those fronts. Any news from Europe will drive markets more than domestic news, with the exception of the payroll report,” Sonders said.

The all-important U.S. non-farm payrolls report is due on Friday. With Bernanke citing poor improvement in the labor market as part of the reason the U.S. economy faces “daunting” challenges, Friday’s data could be a game changer, according to market participants.

Posted: 03 September 2012 02:15 PM #85

AAPL closed in Frankfurt the equivalent of $670.60.

• Posted: 03 September 2012 02:20 PM #86

Rosie - 03 September 2012 04:56 AM
    Mercel - 03 September 2012 04:40 AM

promises, promises…..I hope your intuition is correct!

I’m glad I didn’t promise.  After further reviewing the reasons why half of the Apple stores are out of the 27” iMac model, I inclined to believe they’ll be restocked with the same unit.  If there was an update, it would only be a processor bump.

More likely, the iMac refresh should occur in the Oct./Nov timeframe.

Posted: 04 September 2012 03:29 AM #87

Futures are green today. 

Nikkei is back below 8800 which is somewhat bearish for Japan.

Posted: 04 September 2012 03:55 AM #88

Wow, nice progress on the forum - looks much better on a iPad!

Signature

Full Disclosure:

- Long Apple
    - Pro: Apple HDTV, iPhone Air, Stock split, Consumer robotics

Posted: 04 September 2012 03:57 AM #89

It’s gonna take some getting used to on the Mac. 

Text “seems” smaller and harder to read.  Maybe it’s because of the finer-width type and gray gradient?  (EDIT:  Oh, that’s only text entry.)

Well, change is change.  We’ll see how long it takes for me to get used to it.  I wonder, what exactly changed other than the look and a fresher server?  I’m still getting legacy-looking error messages.

NOTE:  Post creation and editing response feels like the old server at the moment, once you hit submit/edit.

[ Edited: 04 September 2012 04:01 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 04 September 2012 04:03 AM #90

Pre-market’s looking OK (pointing to over 668), though this is really, really early.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.