AFB Invaders!

• Posted: 02 September 2012 06:34 PM

Over the past couple of the days the AFB and other TMO forums have been subject to relentless spam attacks through servers outside the US.

I’ll be monitoring the AFB through this evening and will respond to the spam posts as quickly as possible. Please email me through the account linked in my profile if and when another attack occurs.

Yesterday and earlier today I “zapped” hundreds of spam posts and deleted the membership accounts through which the spam was being posted. The spammers are quick to change IP addresses and try to reuse deleted member names. In response I’m now suspending the spam accounts rather than deleting them and individually deleting the spam posts to block the user names from being reused and recycled.

Patience and perseverance will eventually win the day.

I’d like to remind all active members to periodically change your member pass code. I suggest using arcane combinations of letters and numbers with at least one special character to defeat any efforts by spammers to commandeer a legitimate user account.

[ Edited: 02 September 2012 08:16 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 02 September 2012 08:18 PM #1

Yet another round of aliens invading the AFB. It really is androids versus Apple these days, isn’t it?  :wink:

• Posted: 02 September 2012 08:37 PM #2

DawnTreader - 02 September 2012 11:18 PM

Yet another round of aliens invading the AFB. It really is androids versus Apple these days, isn’t it?  :wink:

I’m convinced the origin of these spam-attacks are Android-based.  PED’s site was abused by an army of Fandroids twisting in agony over Apple’s recent court victory, among other affronts to their beloved Android platform. 

I’ve never seen such a swarm of angry bees protecting the Google queen.  LOL

• Posted: 02 September 2012 11:48 PM #3

I have seen other forums were all new member posts are moderated until they prove they are trustworthy.  That way, no one new can post on their own like we have seen here.  Maybe we should consider that.

• Posted: 02 September 2012 11:52 PM #4

Lstream - 03 September 2012 02:48 AM

I have seen other forums were all new member posts are moderated until they prove they are trustworthy.  That way, no one new can post on their own like we have seen here.  Maybe we should consider that.

That’s a decision for the site owners, not the forum moderators. I will suggest all new membership requests be reviewed before posts are allowed.

• Posted: 03 September 2012 03:56 AM #5

Lstream - 03 September 2012 02:48 AM

thats a great idea, it might scare of some legitimate new users though. Some forums i post on have limits for new users.. example 2 posts a day till you can be trusted. Please no capcha *not sure what its called exactly* just to post that is annoying and i can barely read them, sometimes takes 2-4 tries.

Posted: 03 September 2012 05:38 AM #6

More bogies in the AFB…

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 03 September 2012 01:54 PM #7

Mav - 03 September 2012 08:38 AM

More bogies in the AFB…

Adam’s dealing with the issue.  grin

Posted: 03 September 2012 02:25 PM #8

DawnTreader - 03 September 2012 04:54 PM

Adam’s dealing with the issue.  grin

• Posted: 03 September 2012 05:25 PM #9

It looks like Lovey’s been on the attack as well. I just cleared out some spam posts she moved to the Prune orchard. Team work is everything.  grin

[ Edited: 04 September 2012 02:47 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 04 September 2012 11:55 AM #10

There appears to also be an invasion of Samsung astroturfers on a number of tech and investing forums.  These people are quite obvious due to their ESL-Asian syntax and regurgitated Samsung talking points.

Posted: 04 September 2012 05:00 PM #11

I also deleted somewhere around 500 spam posts, as well as the accounts associated with them. Not sure how those tools will work with the new backend of the forums, so if we get hit again soon, it may take a bit to get rid of all of the posts.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 06 September 2012 01:37 AM #12

I didn’t get a call over the spambot redline from the AFB’s moderator-in-chief. Intruder, thanks for stepping in.