AAPL Intraday Updates - Archives

• Posted: 07 September 2012 01:06 PM #286

Phoebear611 - 07 September 2012 01:01 PM
    Treehouse - 07 September 2012 12:59 PM

Apparently, the talking heads at Fast Money say that AAPL will be over 700 next week.  Any exact quotes ?

Jon Najarian said it WILL be at 700 next week…pretty much as if it is a given.

They know shit! Moronic talking heads, that’s what they are - all of them. If they would know for sure, they wouldn’t be at CNBC, they would have their own island from all the money they made knowing where a stock is headed.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 07 September 2012 01:11 PM #287

dime up , quarter up.  ATH 682.48   ($ 2 over previous all-time closing price). 

Volume is 8 M.  now at 682.10

Posted: 07 September 2012 01:31 PM #288

Given the general suckiness of the new format, we should agree on a new forum and all move there.  Any suggestions?  I really value the wisdom of those who post here, but I sure don’t see any reason we have to be bound to this site.  I think we should find a site with software we like and move en masse.  If this is already happening, someone please tel me where

• Posted: 07 September 2012 01:44 PM #289

Bud777 - 07 September 2012 01:31 PM

Given the general suckiness of the new format, we should agree on a new forum and all move there.  Any suggestions?  I really value the wisdom of those who post here, but I sure don’t see any reason we have to be bound to this site.  I think we should find a site with software we like and move en masse.  If this is already happening, someone please tel me where

let’s not overreact, this forum has great value, give the site owner a bit of time to handle the issues. And secondly, layout is not the most important item, content is!

Posted: 07 September 2012 02:05 PM #290

podboy - 07 September 2012 12:52 PM

Just wondering how many of you longs are planning on taking some shares off the board right before Sept. 12?  I am a long, plan to hold for years to come but recent trends during a product release have the pps going down after announcement.  It’s tempting to sell some shares and hope to get back in when/if it trends lower.  I DON’T LIKE TO GIVE UP A PROFIT, SO IF I’M SHOWING A $500-$1000 DOLLAR GAIN ON A HUNDRED SHARES, I’LL TAKE IT. I KNOW THAT, MOST LIKELY, THERE WILL BE A PULLBACK (EVEN WITH THE PARABOLIC RISE EARLIER THIS YEAR).

I believe the tax rate is lower if you hold for >1 year.  Never have done taxes though so I dunno.  Can anyone confirm?[  THAT IS CORRECT.  HOLD FOR A YEAR AND A DAY, AND YOUR PROFITS ARE CONSIDERED LONG-TERM CAPITAL GAINS, WITH BETTER TAX TREATMENT THAN ORDINARY INCOME, WHICH IS WHAT YOU’D HAVE IF YOU HELD LESS THAN A YEAR./quote]

SEE ALL CAPS ABOVE FOR ANSWERS.

• Posted: 07 September 2012 02:20 PM #291

rutgersguy92 - 07 September 2012 02:05 PM

Just wondering how many of you longs are planning on taking some shares off the board right before Sept. 12?  I am a long, plan to hold for years to come but recent trends during a product release have the pps going down after announcement.  It’s tempting to sell some shares and hope to get back in when/if it trends lower.  I DON’T LIKE TO GIVE UP A PROFIT, SO IF I’M SHOWING A $500-$1000 DOLLAR GAIN ON A HUNDRED SHARES, I’LL TAKE IT. I KNOW THAT, MOST LIKELY, THERE WILL BE A PULLBACK (EVEN WITH THE PARABOLIC RISE EARLIER THIS YEAR).

I believe the tax rate is lower if you hold for >1 year.  Never have done taxes though so I dunno.  Can anyone confirm?[  THAT IS CORRECT.  HOLD FOR A YEAR AND A DAY, AND YOUR PROFITS ARE CONSIDERED LONG-TERM CAPITAL GAINS, WITH BETTER TAX TREATMENT THAN ORDINARY INCOME, WHICH IS WHAT YOU’D HAVE IF YOU HELD LESS THAN A YEAR./quote]

SEE ALL CAPS ABOVE FOR ANSWERS.

In the U.S. this is how it works
    Long term cap gains (over a year held) you get taxed at 15%
    Short term cap gains are taxed at ordinary rates so depending on where you fall in that spectrum is where you will be taxed but as an fyi the top rate is about 35%
    Disclaimer: I am not a tax accountant….but I pay lots of taxes.
    By the way - you may need an accountant if you trade stock and options because if you buy stock and buy insurance with it (a put) - your stock won’t age and will only begin to age when it is at risk unless that put is sufficiently out of the money to cause you monetary damage.  It’s too long to explain but the more complex the strategy - some of these holding periods become interrelated and in some cases negated.  Does that answer your question?

[ Edited: 07 September 2012 02:32 PM by Phoebear611 ]

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

• Posted: 07 September 2012 02:41 PM #292

Thanks, I didn’t realize how much taxes increase if you don’t hold for at least a year.  It is probably better just to buy the dips.  One poster on here I think his name is Nate, not trying to single you out but it is something to think about if you are trying to time the market and daytrade a handful of shares.

Just my .02

Posted: 07 September 2012 02:46 PM #293

Just picked up a handful of shares.  Up to 120 now.  Just wondering how many of you longs are planning on taking some shares off the board right before Sept. 12?

Yes, I am planning on selling 1000 shares on the 11th or 12th, which I’ve been holding on margin since I was assigned them @ 585 in late July.

I’ll hold my shares, plus I believe the tax rate is lower if you hold for >1 year.

Of course, cap gains rates are set to go up next year unless Congress gets off its duff and extends the current rates. Plus, Obamacare raises cap gains taxes.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 07 September 2012 02:52 PM #294

petertje - 07 September 2012 01:44 PM

let’s not overreact, this forum has great value, give the site owner a bit of time to handle the issues. And secondly, layout is not the most important item, content is!

+1000 Agee completely.

Signature

Waiting to be included in one of Apple’s target markets, but I still own an iPod, iPhone and iMac and APPL stock.

• Posted: 07 September 2012 02:54 PM #295

Yes, I am planning on selling 1000 shares on the 11th or 12th, which I’ve been holding on margin since I was assigned them @ 585 in late July.

Man, that’s a lot of shares.  I’m a newb and will admit that I don’t even know what a margin is.  Is your plan to buyback the shares after the dip?  I am trying to wrap my head around what would be more beneficial : selling shares and buying back after the dip, or keep them for the lower tax rate.  By the way, who says there will be a dip?  The announcement will not make everyone happy I’m sure and many will collect profits, but nobody knows for sure.  I’m just following trends.

Any input appreciated

Posted: 07 September 2012 02:57 PM #296

Margin is the ability to borrow money for a certain interest rate.  As I recall, the margin is 2x whatever cash (not total portfolio) you have in your account.

My rule of thumb is never borrow more than 50 % of the cash.

Posted: 07 September 2012 03:01 PM #297

Many AFB manage part of their portfolio as a “swing” trade.    At the extreme low end, day trading (or even hour trading).  At the high end, the buy-and-hold people.  People who hold stuff over 1 year are definitely in that group.  Swing is in the middle.  About 1/2 of my portfolio is in the swing category.  The other is in buy and hold.  Naturally, some portion is cash to buy some WTF sale.

Posted: 07 September 2012 03:05 PM #298

Podboy, based on your estimated tax rate and the profit you would book on your shares if you cash out, you can calculate how much Apple would need to drop in order for you to make any real money. Let’s say you bought 100 shares at 580 and sold them at 680 for $100 profit per share. That would gross you $68K in cash and $10K profit. If your tax rate is 15%, you’d net $8,500. Minus the $1,500 you’d pay in taxes, you’d then have $66.5K to reinvest in Apple. To get your 100 shares back, Apple would need to drop to $665 per share, or decline a little more than 2%.

Will Apple drop more than 2%? At some point, certainly. If you guess wrong, you’ll have booked a profit (not a bad thing) and paid taxes yet will have to buy back at a higher price. If Apple stays at $680, and you buy back at that point, your 100 shares will be cut to 98 shares.

But even this isn’t entirely fixed. You probably won’t have to pay those taxes for another six months, so you’ll still have that $1,500 (to be paid in tax) to invest until tax time, and so maybe you’ll make money on that money. Or lose it.

The calculation changes significantly if you bought at $670 and want to sell at $680 because you think the price is going to drop. You’re then making $1K (10x100) in profit and paying $150 in tax. Apple would then need to drop only 2 points for you to be able to buy in cheaper, including your tax hit.

So this age old question regarding whether to sell in the face of a sell-the-news event really depends on how much profit you’ll book in relation to how much you anticipate the share price dropping. If I initially bought too high, and those shares are close to market price going into the event, I’ll be likely to unload those shares at a small profit in the hopes that I won’t take a tax hit and will be able to buy back in cheaper.

Also consider taking half your shares and not selling them unless it looks like we’re all going to die. If you want to play the game of swing trading, do it with half your shares. This keeps you from losing out entirely if you guess wrong.

Posted: 07 September 2012 03:06 PM #299

I like the new format.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 07 September 2012 03:08 PM #300

15,000 calls @ 680…

BTW, GOOG is trading above $705.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007