The new design ... is up!

Posted: 28 November 2012 12:31 PM #16

Fascinating. I have been logged in for weeks on multiple devices and had assumed everyone else was able to remain that way, too. Thanks for alerting us to this. We’ll take a look.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 28 November 2012 12:59 PM #17

I gave up logging in from my iPad as it might only last a few hours. It didn’t matter what iOS browser that I was using.

How about a forum poll and ask how many people are having short logout problems.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 28 November 2012 02:38 PM #18

Lee,
    We are looking into this, but don’t have much of a lead at this point as to what the source of the issue is. I have set up my browsers to be auto-logged in and will see if it logs me out. We checked the cookies and they are being set to a year out. You might try actually resettling things by clearing out all your TMO cookies and then re-logging in to reset the cookies.

Here is how for the various browsers:

In Safari:
    ————————————
    1) From the menu choose Safari > Preferences
    2) Click on the ‘Privacy’ tab in the Safari Preferences window
    3) Under the ‘Cookies and other website data’ section wait until you see the ‘Details…’ button. Click it.
    4) In the search field of the sheet that drops down search for ‘macobserver.com’
    5) Select the ‘macobserver.com’ result and click ‘Remove’ and then click ‘Done’.
    6) Close the Preferences window.

In Firefox:
    ————————————
    1) From the menu choose Firefox > Preferences
    2) Click on the ‘Privacy’ tab in the Preferences window
    3) Under the ‘History’ section find and click the ‘remove individual cookies’ link
    4) In the window that pops up search for ‘macobserver’
    5) In the results select all the ‘macobserver.com’ entries and click the “remove’ button
    6) Close the Cookie window and then close the Preferences window

In Chrome:
    ————————————
    1) From the menu choose Chrome > Preferences
    2) Click on ‘Settings’ in the left column
    3) At the bottom of the main section click the ‘Show advanced settings…’ link
    4) Under ‘Privacy’ click the ‘Content Settings…’ button
    5) In the window that opened click the ‘All cookies and site data…’ button
    6) In the window that pops up search for ‘macobserver’
    7) In the results select the ‘macobserver.com’ entry and when it expands click the ‘X’ to remove the cookies.
    8) Close the Cookie and site data window.
    9) Click ‘OK’ in the Content settings window.
    10) Close the settings tab.

Posted: 28 November 2012 04:05 PM #19

Okay, I gave that a try. We will see what happens over the next few days.

Thanks

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 29 November 2012 04:42 PM #20

So far I am remaining logged in. Interestingly I just got a reminder about a bug track I was following, https://support.ellislab.com/bugs/detail/16355 (account & login required), that relates specifically to this issue. So, we aren’t the only ones being impacted.

Posted: 29 November 2012 04:56 PM #21

Once again I got logged out after 24 hours of being logged in.

I tried the suggestion of deleting my MacObserver cookie

Signature

Posted: 29 November 2012 07:17 PM #22

Lee Dronick - 29 November 2012 04:56 PM

Sorry, that is very odd. I have tried it on a few browsers and I seem to remain logged in. I’m thinking there may be another factor at play here.

Posted: 29 November 2012 07:50 PM #23

Adam Christianson - 29 November 2012 07:17 PM
    Lee Dronick - 29 November 2012 04:56 PM

Sorry, that is very odd. I have tried it on a few browsers and I seem to remain logged in. I’m thinking there may be another factor at play here.

I suppose so.

Signature

Posted: 11 December 2012 01:54 PM #24

Lee,
    I am still completely baffled on this one. I have now had my 3 browsers auto-logged in for a couple weeks and the log-in seems to be sticking. Are you sure any other items, scripts, etc. that could be resetting your browser cookies?

Posted: 11 December 2012 02:31 PM #25

Nothing is messing with the cookie that I know of and this happens no matter which browser I use, it also happens with Safari on my iPad running iOS 6.

At least Mountain Lion and Safari lets me store login and password so that I can login faster.

If I create a new account will you transfer all my stars? I worked hard for those stickies, never missed a day of school, turn my homework in on time, get good grades, behave in class and on the playground, and participate in group studies.

Signature

Posted: 11 December 2012 03:39 PM #26

Seeing my logout problem happens on my iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad, and I assume iPhone, makes me think that the problem is not on my end.  Anyway I am going to trash my MacObserver cookies and create a new account, a test account, using a nom-de-plume. We will see how that goes.

Signature