Apple Mail Questions in ML

• Posted: 05 September 2012 05:25 PM

After upgrading to ML, I have a couple of questions about Apple Mail.

1. I’m unable to view the see the incoming unread mail count on the Mail icon in the Dock. In preferences, beside Dock Unread Count, I’ve selected Inbox Only. How do I get the unread number to appear?

2 Often in incoming mail messages, I’m unable to see the attachment unless I select View>Messages>Best Alternative. Is there a default setting so that I don’t have to do this repeatedly?

Posted: 06 September 2012 03:38 PM #1

Hi Bruce—this is definitely an odd thing. For #1 - have you set it to “All mailboxes” to see if that shows up? Also—did you ever install DockStar or anything else that would modify the Mail dock icon?

#2 - Does this happen with certain *types* of attachments? I.e. are JPGs fine, but PDFs not? How do they appear otherwise?

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 11 September 2012 11:55 AM #2

I am still running Mail 4.5 on Snow Leopard.

In the last week, all of a sudden, I started losing disk freespace at an alarming rate.  As I watched, gigabytes would disappear in a matter of minutes.  Very quickly I would go from freespace of 30GB to zero and I would inevitably get the dreaded “you are out of diskspace” message.  During that time I franticly tried to create more space to forestall the inevitable.

I looked all over for the offending files, finally finding a huge cache (?) of these files inside the library/mail/mailboxes/recovered messages folder.  There were maybe 50 files, each of size 250MB.  They were attached to a gmail account that I use infrequently and that has only a few messages in it.

I removed those recovered messages and freed up 30 GB of space, but it happened again the next day.  I did the same removal, but then deleted the whole account from Mail and for the last 24 hours everything seems stable.

Any idea what could be going on?  Is this a bug with my version of Mail?  What triggers those recovered messages?

DB