Kindle What?

• Posted: 06 September 2012 03:23 PM

I’m confused by all the devices now called Kindles, and I’m trying to pay attention.  When Johnny says he wants a Kindle for Christmas, I hope he isn’t disappointed. 

Besides the branding confusion, Bezos has sacrificed the opportunity to generate buzz around one new thing, by tossing out lots of things, Kitchenmatic style.  I was waiting for him to throw in a knife set at the end.

This is the guy who is supposed to be the marketing king successor to SJ?

Posted: 07 September 2012 03:30 AM #1

On paper, the 8.9” Kindle Fire HD with LTE for $499 could draw some consumers away from the LTE iPad. I emphasize “could” because this product was not fully demoed today. Reporters/bloggers weren’t allowed hands-on time with it, presumably because the software wasn’t ready to go. That’s why it won’t be available until late November. That’s why there are still many unanswered questions on how well it will function.

I think it’s very likely that the $50 annual data plan from AT&T could be something that Apple also announces before long. The 250MB/month cap won’t really satisfy many, but the availability of a low-cost plan will attract customers.

The sub-$200 Kindles will continue to offer no real threat to the iPad. The $299 Kindle Fire HD (no LTE, also available Nov. 20th) will get pummeled by the $199 Nexus 7 and the rumored sub-$300 iPad mini. And if the iPad mini has enough battery power to support LTE, then the $499 Kindle is also dead.

As usual, bloggers & reporters are pumped up about non-shipping products. Apple will announce and deliver something in October and most consumers will have forgotten entirely about the more expensive Kindles.

Talk about a reality distortion field! Bezos must be an alien with mind-control powers over AMZN investors. He’s the only one left standing from the dot com days and continues to fool people into valuing the company many times more than it’s worth. Less than a billion in net profits, yet AMZN has a market cap of over $100B?!? If AAPL had those multiples, it would be worth over $10 trillion.