Weekend Updates

Posted: 07 September 2012 05:27 PM

ATH!!!!  I’ll drink to that!!!!! smile

[ Edited: 09 September 2012 11:01 PM by lovemyipad ]      
  • Posted: 07 September 2012 05:30 PM #1

Thank God I found my way here! By the way, is there anything that prompts you on the main page to let you know that you received a Private Message?

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 07 September 2012 05:41 PM #2

Tonight, huge salad at local Mexican restaurant.  I have to inspect the menu more close up.  Too much salt in the regular menu.  Tomorrow, art exhibition.  I’ll take some painting to City Hall to show off.

Sitting comfortable with my portfolio, the AFB and its friends.

Posted: 07 September 2012 05:48 PM #3

Phoebear611 - 07 September 2012 05:30 PM

Thank God I found my way here! By the way, is there anything that prompts you on the main page to let you know that you received a Private Message?

There is not—and that is quite annoying.

Posted: 07 September 2012 08:20 PM #4

lovemyipad - 07 September 2012 05:48 PM

Hi iPad- Ya I was wondering the same thing, there seems to be no intuitive way to do a lot of things anymore Humph! Perhaps we could be offered a choice of using the older version if we so choose?

Signature

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company…

Posted: 07 September 2012 09:00 PM #5

lovemyipad - 07 September 2012 05:27 PM

But bearish divergence?!  We’re dooooooooomed! LOL

(/iPad kinda-troll)

(/oh crap)

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 07 September 2012 09:04 PM #6

re: the forum, let us know what forum mgmt. is thinking if you have a more direct line, iPad.

In the meantime, congrats to the longs, and have a meme!

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 07 September 2012 09:22 PM #7

This is mildly LOL:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/08/amazon-fcc-idUSL2E8K80EB20120908?type=companyNews&feedType=RSS&feedName=companyNews&rpc=43

But really, the kicker is:  New Kindle Fire HD 8.9”!  Shipping this November 20!  Interesting timing.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 07 September 2012 09:39 PM #8

Wow. My work schedule has been such a pain that I didn’t even realize we reached an ATH.

Posted: 07 September 2012 10:52 PM #9

Come on everybody, get groovy!!!

Posted: 07 September 2012 10:54 PM #10

AppleDoc - 07 September 2012 09:39 PM

Wow. My work schedule has been such a pain that I didn’t even realize we reached an ATH.

C’mon, Doc, you have to have your priorities.  Tell your patients to hold on a minute. (;>)

• Posted: 08 September 2012 12:08 AM #11

No doubt!  I’ll drink to that….Cheers to the AFB longs!!!  I love this place.

Plenty of more wood to chop so, steady as she goes Captain.

Posted: 08 September 2012 01:44 AM #12

aaplcrazie - 07 September 2012 08:20 PM
    lovemyipad - 07 September 2012 05:48 PM

Hi iPad- Ya I was wondering the same thing, there seems to be no intuitive way to do a lot of things anymore Humph! Perhaps we could be offered a choice of using the older version if we so choose?

Well, there is plenty of room on the blue bar at the top to add it!

Signature

Striving to exceed the needs of the future.

Posted: 08 September 2012 02:32 AM #13

Same here!  I didn’t even realize we were at an all time high.

Is anybody else getting wary up here?  I took a bit of profits off the table at the end of the day (still 85% long), since AAPL is usually weak the last few days before an announcement.  I’m sure we’ll be over $700 by January, but being able to skim off a few Ks here and there is never bad.  I’ve been on the “WHY didn’t I hedge these positions??” train way too many times now.  Buying puts or put spreads seems too aggressive for me, so I’m “hedging” by holding some cash.

And in the “worst case”, If AAPL keeps going straight up, I’ll just open those positions again at the end of next week for a bit less profit.

Posted: 08 September 2012 02:47 AM #14

Wary?  No. 

Maybe I should clarify.  My goal is to ALWAYS be wary.

Also, 85% invested?  Pfft!  I’m maybe 70% invested, and that’s only as of end of day.  Ah, cash, the ultimate hedge. 

In all seriousness, those of us who dare to trade shorter-term/more actively have to be as nimble as possible.  From riding momentum on the way up to switching to or adding short positions when the market gets too toppy (though that second part is tough).

History is both potentially useful and utterly pointless.  “Sell in May and go away?”  For the month, “true”.  Go on vacation in August when the rest of the market does?  Oh man, I would’ve missed a hell of an opportunity to regain some lost ground if I worshipped at the altar of market dogma for _that_ one (or worse still, the sub-altars of such types as “the equity market is dead”).  The only way to navigate the markets longer-term as a trader is to develop some kind of personal market barometer along with a risk barometer.  Barometers that can change readings to both extremes on a moment’s notice, and those that are as free of bias as humanly possible.

AAPL is affected by macro, sure, but the rally no one “likes” (read: expected?) continues.  Adjust for events (read:  most of next week LOL), see the story/fundamentals, assess your conviction, act accordingly.  I see no reason to change my Jan 14 core trade right now, though I reassess every single trading day. 

Learning as I go opened my eyes to several risk mitigation strategies I didn’t know or couldn’t grasp just a year ago.  The account value delta isn’t necessarily gonna change much given the way today’s market moves, but stuff like raising cash, biding one’s time and making cash flow from unexpected market moves, avoiding trades with potentially catastrophic consequences, as opposed to feeling trapped in a red directional trade turns the market from something hopelessly rigged to more of a chess match where knowledge can keep you in the game.

[ Edited: 08 September 2012 02:56 AM by Mav ]

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 08 September 2012 02:55 AM #15

Mav is just doing a test of user name length - 08 September 2012 02:47 AM

Wary?  No. 

Maybe I should clarify.  My goal is to ALWAYS be wary.

Also, 85% invested?  Pfft!  I’m maybe 70% invested, and that’s only as of end of day.  Ah, cash, the ultimate hedge. 

In all seriousness, those of us who dare to trade shorter-term/more actively have to be as nimble as possible.  From riding momentum on the way up to switching to or adding short positions when the market gets too toppy (though that second part is tough).

History is both potentially useful and utterly pointless.  “Sell in May and go away?”  For the month, “true”.  Go on vacation in August when the rest of the market ]does?  Oh man, I would’ve missed a hell of an opportunity to regain some lost ground if I worshipped at the altar of market dogma for _that_ one (or worse still, the sub-altars of such types as “the equity market is dead”).  The only way to navigate the markets longer-term as a trader is to develop some kind of personal market barometer along with a risk barometer.  Barometers that can change readings to both extremes on a moment’s notice, and those that are as free of bias as humanly possible.

AAPL is affected by macro, sure, but the rally no one “likes” (read: expected?) continues.  Adjust for events (read:  most of next week LOL), see the story/fundamentals, assess your conviction, act accordingly.  I see no reason to change my Jan 14 core trade right now, though I reassess every single trading day. 

Learning as I go opened my eyes to several risk mitigation strategies I didn’t know or couldn’t grasp just a year ago.  The account value delta isn’t necessarily gonna change much given the way today’s market moves, but stuff like raising cash, biding one’s time and making cash flow from unexpected market moves, avoiding trades with potentially catastrophic consequences, as opposed to feeling trapped in a red directional trade turns the market from something hopelessly rigged to more of a chess match where knowledge can keep you in the game.

+1