AAPL Intraday Updates - Archive

Posted: 11 September 2012 05:10 AM #121

rutgersguy92 - 10 September 2012 05:36 PM

Key now is to figure if this is like the April 10 event or not. At least Scott Redler is still long AAPL, and surprisingly didn’t use any stops on the way down today.

I don’t think that you can compare today (or yesterday) with April 10 and thereafter. Just some comparative data that I use for my trading/investing decisions.

PE Ratio
    Apr 9th: 18.1
    Sep 10th: 15.6

PriceCash Ratio
    Apr 9th: 6.5
    Sep 10th: 5.7

Distance to 100day MA
    Apr 9th: 35.0% above
    Sep 10th: 10.5% above

BB position
    Apr 9th: at 89.0% of BB
    Sep 10th: at 53% of BB

So you can see that fundamentally (PE and cash) we are nowhere close to April 10 levels. And technically the stock is not as extended as it was back then. While the stock could go lower, I don’t think it will falter as it did after Apr. 10th. On the other hand it is not yet at the “back up the truck”-levels of, e.g., May 17th.

Signature

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” Albert Einstein

• Posted: 11 September 2012 08:09 AM #122

Oops, I am already logged in. smile

Saved a lot of money by selling yesterday morning.

Will buy some of that back this morning, but not all of it.

Posted: 11 September 2012 08:30 AM #123

Big Al - 11 September 2012 05:10 AM
    rutgersguy92 - 10 September 2012 05:36 PM

Key now is to figure if this is like the April 10 event or not. At least Scott Redler is still long AAPL, and surprisingly didn’t use any stops on the way down today.

I don’t think that you can compare today (or yesterday) with April 10 and thereafter. Just some comparative data that I use for my trading/investing decisions.

PE Ratio

PriceCash Ratio

Distance to 100day MA

BB position

So you can see that fundamentally (PE and cash) we are nowhere close to April 10 levels. And technically the stock is not as extended as it was back then. While the stock could go lower, I don’t think it will falter as it did after Apr. 10th. On the other hand it is not yet at the “back up the truck”-levels of, e.g., May 17th.

Btw, if we would be as extended today as on Apr. 9th (35% above 100day MA) we would be at $810.

Signature

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” Albert Einstein

Posted: 11 September 2012 08:39 AM #124

Al, great posts—thank you!! smile

I’m watching the SPX futures and AAPL premarket.  Looks like a possible gap up…so watch for “gap and go,” versus “gap and crap.”

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:32 AM #125

roni - 11 September 2012 08:09 AM

Good call.  I only sold 15%, and I’ll probably open the position again with a few weeklies thrown in for fun.  And hey, they were “free”!

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:47 AM #126

the non-fun continues today it seems.  i think if it goes to 660, i will get in with a spread in the 600-620 range for December

• Posted: 11 September 2012 09:52 AM #127

Will definitely pick up more short-term calls if we see 660 later.

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:55 AM #128

High velocity action in the first 25 mins.  664-670.

• Posted: 11 September 2012 10:06 AM #129

mjuarez - 11 September 2012 09:32 AM
    roni - 11 September 2012 08:09 AM

Good call.  I only sold 15%, and I’ll probably open the position again with a few weeklies thrown in for fun.  And hey, they were “free”!

I’m stoked - got some April $650’s at what is, so far, the low of the day.  That does not happen for me often.  No current order in, will let the account ride into tomorrow, I think

• Posted: 11 September 2012 10:15 AM #130

What a roller coaster ride - 669 to 663 back up to 670 and down to 665 again. Sitting tight on my weekly calls into tomorrow morning.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 11 September 2012 10:37 AM #131

Well that’s lousy. I was ready to take advantage of this dip and my order was rejected as it would have placed me in violation of my broker’s concentration policy for margin use.

What do they mean I can’t buy more AAPL :(

Will certainly have to keep this in mind in the future. Definitely changes how I will trade. I thought I’d have room to correct if the opportunity presented itself. Denied!

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

Posted: 11 September 2012 10:45 AM #132

Big Al - 11 September 2012 05:10 AM

PE Ratio

PriceCash Ratio

Distance to 100day MA

BB position

Big Al

That was a fabulous post!

cheers to all
          JohnG

• Posted: 11 September 2012 10:45 AM #133

Just curious, how many of you buy stocks on margin?  Seems kinda risky to me because Scottrade charges ~7.5% for the amount you borrow.  Do you use these for mostly options or any common stock?  I only buy common at this point and time but thought of borrowing some money if this thing ever gets down to the 640 range.  It looks like it might be stabilizing for the time being so I doubt I will just curious.

Also, how long does it take to receive the funds?  Scottrade I assume has to check your credit history.

Thanks again everyone for bearing with me while I learn.  Hopefully I can start contributing to this forum soon enough.

podboy

Posted: 11 September 2012 10:55 AM #134

podboy - 11 September 2012 10:45 AM

Just curious, how many of you buy stocks on margin?  Seems kinda risky to me because Scottrade charges ~7.5% for the amount you borrow.  Do you use these for mostly options or any common stock?  I only buy common at this point and time but thought of borrowing some money if this thing ever gets down to the 640 range.  It looks like it might be stabilizing for the time being so I doubt I will just curious.

Also, how long does it take to receive the funds?  Scottrade I assume has to check your credit history.

Thanks again everyone for bearing with me while I learn.  Hopefully I can start contributing to this forum soon enough.

podboy

My margin rates are 3.0%. I only buy options on margin. My common is my support and I do not touch it. I had my margin available to me the moment I opened my account to option trading.

Signature

Long AAPL Short ME 5’3

• Posted: 11 September 2012 11:05 AM #135

cambrose - 11 September 2012 10:55 AM
    podboy - 11 September 2012 10:45 AM

podboy

My margin rates are 3.0%. I only buy options on margin. My common is my support and I do not touch it. I had my margin available to me the moment I opened my account to option trading.

cambrose - where do you get 3.0% margin rates?

Thanks