(Finally!)  The iPhone 5 Intro Pop-Up Discussion Thread

Posted: 12 September 2012 04:55 PM #61

Whoa, the 30pin to lightning adaptor is US$29!  That’s expensive and not at all the $9 I’d previously thought.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

Signature

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.
    —Jack Layton

Posted: 12 September 2012 04:56 PM #62

Oh thank goodness my iPhone 4S gets Panorama too!  Sweet smile
    http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/compare-iphones/

Signature

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.
    —Jack Layton

Posted: 12 September 2012 05:00 PM #63

$29.  OMG.  SELL AAPL NOW.

Actually there should be a good amount of time to assess the proper amount of USER OUTRAGE by the time the adapter launches in October.  Apple does adjust, contrary to popular belief and selective memory on the part of the punditry/press.

Shame those Universal Dock Adapters no longer are, but that’s progress.  We’ll see if Apple is pressured into adjusting the price or whatever.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 12 September 2012 05:07 PM #64

Burgess - 12 September 2012 02:09 PM

Interesting - the $99 iPhone 4S is 16GB - it hasn’t been changed to 8GB like previous years models have been.

8 GB wont be enough for the space it takes for the 4S pictures and 1080p videos. Good call by Apple. They always give people a good product, even on the basic ones.

Signature

You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don?t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ?For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.?
    2 Corinthians 9:7

Posted: 12 September 2012 05:12 PM #65

Apple’s going to have to release a lot of hardware updates of its accessories: camera kit, world traveler kit, HDMI cable, docks, etc.  And let’s hope that US$29 (CAD$35!) comes down before it hits retail in October.

Signature

—Jack Layton

• Posted: 12 September 2012 06:56 PM #66

Quote of the iPhone 5 event:

” ...the width of the iPhone is right for the average hand.”

They are absolutely right.

Posted: 12 September 2012 07:10 PM #67

Let the competition go big.

Apple will do what IT feels is right, and it won’t have its moves dictated by others.

I can’t wait to see iPhone 5 in person.  I probably won’t buy it (....yet), being a happy iPhone 4S owner, but the Ivesian detail and fit and finish look absolutely out of this world.

Interesting how they ditched the custom steel for aluminum.  Saves on weight - how about robustness?

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 12 September 2012 07:37 PM #68

Mav - 12 September 2012 07:10 PM

- how about robustness?

Better than glass.  Two of my daughters already shattered the back glass of their iPhone 4Ss.  I like the aluminum back and polished chamfered edge.  My portfolio would like Liquid Metal better.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 12 September 2012 07:55 PM #69

Panorama camera is not available on iPod touch—>  iPhone 4S or 5 only.

Even for fun, the new Maps is going to be attractive. 

I don’t think Siri will be on current generation iPod touches.  :: cries a river ::

Posted: 12 September 2012 09:55 PM #70

A lot of impressive new hardware and software announced today.

The aggressive rollout is quite surprising and I think caught Wall St. by surprise.

-9 countries on Sept 21st
    -22 more countries on Sept 28th
    -And by December will be in 100 countries, and 240 carriers

Edited for accurate country rollout….per Philip Elmer-DeWitt

[ Edited: 13 September 2012 08:48 AM by afterglow ]

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 12 September 2012 09:55 PM #71

Demos with that onboard A6 look sweeeeeeeet.  Kudos for Apple for its work on SoCs - the iPhone 4S was an impressive performance jump over the 4 and the 5 is looking to have a similar delta in performance over the 4S.

Connector aside and barring any QA issues, Apple’s got another winner on its hands.  The more I read up on it, the more I want one.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 12 September 2012 11:00 PM #72

JDSoCal - 12 September 2012 04:46 PM
    Prazan - 12 September 2012 03:18 PM

What’s the appeal of the Touch? It seems directed primarily at the pre-phone market demographic. Do music lovers accept the graphic/storage/price tradeoff, meaning less storage but a better interface at a steep price? Do you see many of these at the gym?

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood the product.

I agree (kid demo), other than as a dedicated car or home music library. When I am working out or hiking, I want my phone along to check-in every 90 seconds.

Seems to me you give these to a kid who you don’t want talking on a cellphone.

What else am I missing?

Yeah, pretty much the only time I ever see an iPod Touch is in the hands of a kid. My sister-in-law had one before getting an iPhone, but only because she had another phone at the time, and it was a gift. A co-worker of mine also has one, because he doesn’t want to get a smartphone and pay data fees. He’s a bit more on the techie side, so he likes doing things like using SSH and VNC to access his computers with an iPod Touch, and it’s not really used for music.

Posted: 13 September 2012 08:45 AM #73

Prazan - 12 September 2012 03:18 PM

What’s the appeal of the Touch? It seems directed primarily at the pre-phone market demographic.

JDSoCal - 12 September 2012 04:46 PM

I agree (kid demo),
    What else am I missing?

nkmho - 12 September 2012 11:00 PM

Yeah, pretty much the only time I ever see an iPod Touch is in the hands of a kid.

Hold on there sparky.
    I (a 52 year old IT professional) have a 4th gen iPod Touch, and I use it all the time. Literally it’s within arms reach 24 hours a day. Music, IMs, e-mail, alerts from the systems I support, my users calling for help, video-chat, network sniffing, internet radio, games, it does everything I need. What I don’t need is a cell phone. I like the iPod Touch because it does most of what an iPhone does without a contract. Sure there are a few things I wish it had, a better camera and GPS for example, but those improvements are simply not enough to make it worth getting rogered by Rogers.

Will I be getting the 5th gen iPod Touch? Probably not. My 4th gen is only a year and a half old. I’ll wait until it dies, then I’ll update.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 13 September 2012 08:50 AM #74

Mav - 12 September 2012 09:55 PM

Demos with that onboard A6 look sweeeeeeeet.  Kudos for Apple for its work on SoCs - the iPhone 4S was an impressive performance jump over the 4 and the 5 is looking to have a similar delta in performance over the 4S.

Connector aside and barring any QA issues, Apple’s got another winner on its hands.  The more I read up on it, the more I want one.

And Appleinsider speculates that it’s the first ARM Cortex A15 to hit the market…...speed

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/12/apples_new_a6_iphone_5_appears_to_be_first_arm_cortex_a15_phone

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

• Posted: 13 September 2012 10:19 AM #75

They should have kept the thickness the same and increased the battery life to 12-14 hrs. it would give the iphone a huge edge on the competition
    —-This also would have allowed for a better camera with f/2.0