Apple deal with China Mobile

Posted: 12 September 2012 11:22 AM

Apple can finally ink a deal with China Mobile to sell the new iPhone, the impact of adding that carrier could dwarf all other factors — good or bad — influencing Apple’s iPhone launch.
    As for me, I did not miss recent >+$100 AAPL share rally, following the signal from
    I Know First algorithmic system, I am using with good results so far.
    IMO AAPL is still a buy, but we shall be more careful now.
    Good Trading!

[ Edited: 15 September 2012 11:18 AM by DonRight ]      
  • Posted: 12 September 2012 11:36 AM #1

I don’t think it will happen until sometime in 2013

Posted: 12 September 2012 05:11 PM #2

China Mobile is in deep yogurt and won’t make an IP5 deal until sometime in early 2013.

China Mobile’s impact on Apple/aapl is grossly overrated.

JohnG

Posted: 13 September 2012 08:58 AM #3

johnG - 12 September 2012 05:11 PM

China Mobile is in deep yogurt and won’t make an IP5 deal until sometime in early 2013.

JohnG

I still think, until we get an iFixit teardown shortly after Sept 21st, we can’t yet confirm that the iPhone 5 will work on the China Mobile proprietary 3G network.  They just started building their 4G.

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 13 September 2012 10:19 AM #4

afterglow - 13 September 2012 08:58 AM

JohnG

I still think, until we get an iFixit teardown shortly after Sept 21st, we can’t yet confirm that the iPhone 5 will work on the China Mobile proprietary 3G network.  They just started building their 4G.

Then why would Apple add a chip with TD-SCDMA compatibility? And how the hell would a “teardown” verify anything? Apple already said iPhone 5 has The MDM 9615 chipset that supports TD-SCDMA. Are they lying?

China Mobile currently has ~70M 3G subscribers. And about 12M subscribers running iPhones in 2G. The impact that carrier could have on Apple is not “grossly overstated.”

The FUD in this thread is grossly overstated.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 13 September 2012 07:37 PM #5

I agree with JD, but there are always complicating factors.  To wire up the baseband and such you need Power Amps which are tuned to particular Freqs and antenna tuning, so while the baseband works on TDSCDMA and both TD and FDD LTE the big challenge will be matching the Freqs.  Last time I looked there were about 40 different Freqs in use around the world for LTE so I still expect more regional SKUs as carriers reach agreement with Apple.  The Europeans on many forums are already complaint that no SKUs support the main LTE Freqs in Europe, so maybe Apple has a couple more SKUs in waiting as the global rollout proceeds.

Posted: 13 September 2012 07:51 PM #6

There is no one LTE band fits all solution.  I’m sure Apple will adjust where needed.

Since Apple is using a TD-SCDMA/LTE compatible chipset, all it takes is for Apple to sign the deal and for China Mobile to - well, try - to make the most of the TD-LTE network it didn’t really want.  It’s only a matter of time ‘til China Mobile agrees to terms.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 13 September 2012 08:47 PM #7

http://micgadget.com/29813/china-mobile-is-preparing-nano-sim-card-for-iphone-5-but-no-iphone-5-sales/

Signature

Tim Cook: iPad is 91% of all tablet web traffic. I don’t know what these other tablets are doing.

Posted: 13 September 2012 08:58 PM #8

JDSoCal - 13 September 2012 10:19 AM
    afterglow - 13 September 2012 08:58 AM

JohnG

Then why would Apple add a chip with TD-SCDMA compatibility? And how the hell would a “teardown” verify anything? Apple already said iPhone 5 has The MDM 9615 chipset that supports TD-SCDMA. Are they lying?

China Mobile currently has ~70M 3G subscribers. And about 12M subscribers running iPhones in 2G. The impact that carrier could have on Apple is not “grossly overstated.”

The FUD in this thread is grossly overstated.

This is where i read about the teardown of the iPhone 5 confirming China Mobile or not so I wouldn’t exactly call it FUD.    I think Chinese consumers will find a way to use the iPhone 5 on CM’s network one way or another regardless.

Morgan Stanley’s Katy Huberty: Killer Integration. “iPhone 5 highlights Apple’s unique ability to deliver innovative products leveraging its software and hardware expertise, and app and media ecosystem… We are surprised by the conservative near-term investor expectations, which is a good thing for the stock… Several data points over the next few months will give indications of iPhone 5 demand. We see (1) press release on pre-order volume from Apple likely on September 17; (2) tear-down analysis likely on September 21, which will confirm whether iPhone 5’s baseband chip has TD support for China Mobile; (3) press release on sales volume from the first weekend from Apple likely on September 24; (4) supply chain data points from our Asia trip; and (5) potential business trend updates by Apple’s partners before earnings in mid-October.

Signature

Posted: 19 September 2012 12:31 PM #9

AAPL Data Center in New Territories area can give technical support to Apple deal with China Mobile:
    http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple-looks-to-asia-for-next-big-data-center/?cachebuster=5059f0843a0eb

• Posted: 20 September 2012 01:53 AM #10

Post your view on the timetable of a deal between Apple and China Mobile to establish China Mobile as an authorized iPhone carrier.

Does anyone expect a deal this calendar year?

Posted: 23 September 2012 11:57 PM #11

DawnTreader - 20 September 2012 01:53 AM

Post your view on the timetable of a deal between Apple and China Mobile to establish China Mobile as an authorized iPhone carrier.

Does anyone expect a deal this calendar year?

This deal will be announced in Janary of 2013 in time for the Chinese new year

Signature

The only way to change the perception, is to change the reality.

Posted: 27 September 2012 12:39 PM #12

Good news from China:
    iPhone 5 has cleared its biggest hurdle before reaching Chinese markets after receiving mandatory regulatory certification. According to Sina Tech, two versions of the device were granted the China Compulsory Certification on September 24. The iPhone’s A1429 model works with China Unicom’s WCDMA network, while the A1442 model corresponds to the CDMA2000 network, possibly to support China Telecom’s systems.
    While Apple has still not listed China in its list of countries scheduled to receive the iPhone 5 in the coming days, China Unicom had earlier confirmed that it will make all attempts to start selling the device this year as long as it received regulatory approval. Apple will possibly still need to obtain a network access license and an all-clear from the China Radio Management agency.
    China Mobile , the world’s largest wireless carrier by subscribers, does not currently have a deal with Apple because of network incompatibility issues, but it may not be long before the iPhone maker works on the required changes, considering the carrier’s reach.

• Posted: 30 September 2012 09:48 PM #13

The bigger issue with China Mobile is the lack of 4G infrastructure to justify iPhone subsidies through data fees. I’m not expecting a China Mobile deal in the next few months, but I do expect strong sales of the iPhone 5 through the current carriers - China Mobile and China Telecom.

Posted: 03 October 2012 04:03 AM #14

China Mobile (CHL) hopes to sell 100M TD-SCDMA 3G smartphones in 2013, up from an expected 60M in 2012.
    TD-SCDMA baseband chip leaders Spreadtrum (SPRD) and Marvell (MRVL) must be glad to hear that. So must Qualcomm, which will reportedly offer a 3G/4G reference design to OEMs in Q1

• Posted: 04 October 2012 05:53 AM #15

China Mobile, it seems, is going the way of the NTT Docomo as far as the iPhone:-(