Weekend Updates - Archive

Posted: 14 September 2012 04:14 PM

A great start to a BBQ weekend.    There’s plenty of burdock to hack here at home.  Burdock is a weed with large clusters of seeds which stick all too easily to clothes and animals.

Meanwhile, my cruiser is in the shop yet again.  I’m looking forward to a drive in the western Great Lakes pretty soon.  Today’s troubles are in both the brake and fuel lines.   

Tonight, taco salad deluxe and a beer.

[ Edited: 17 September 2012 07:56 PM by lovemyipad ]      
  • Posted: 14 September 2012 05:08 PM #1

Watching the keynote video, I was amused by the Forstall demonstration of FlyOver at the 40 minutes point. The stitching together of the satellite imagery of Big Ben in London has resulted in the clock tower showing a different time on each of the three clock faces visible in the demo grin

Posted: 14 September 2012 06:17 PM #2

Apple ‘completely blown away’ by iPhone 5 demand
    By AppleInsider Staff

Less than half a day after opening iPhone 5 pre-orders, Apple has been hit with stockouts of all models, including those provided to U.S. wireless carriers.

In a statement to All Things D, Apple spokeswoman Nat Kerris said, “Pre-orders for iPhone 5 have been incredible. We’ve been completely blown away by the customer response.”

iPhone 5 pre-orders went live at 12:01 a.m. PDT, with customer demand at Apple’s online store seeing a sellout of first-day shipment stock in about an hour. Launch day stock at the three major U.S. wireless operators, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint, likewise dwindled some hours later. Sprint is the only carrier with units available for delivery on Sept. 21, however stock is limited to the 32GB and 64GB models.

While the initial batch of launch day iPhone 5s are sold out, Apple and its partners are still taking pre-orders for the device, with the Online Apple Store now quoting ship-by dates of 2-3 weeks.

• Posted: 14 September 2012 06:21 PM #3

Just saw this on Bloomberg from an AAPL spokesperson!

Apple Says Early Orders for Next Version of IPhone ‘Incredible’
    By Adam Satariano - Sep 14, 2012 5:44 PM ET

Apple Inc. said that early orders for the next version of the iPhone, which was unveiled this week, have been “incredible.”

“Pre-orders for iPhone 5 have been incredible,” said Natalie Kerris, a spokeswoman for Cupertino, California-based Apple. “We’ve been completely blown away by the customer response.”

Signature

Keep Calm and Carry On

Posted: 14 September 2012 06:34 PM #4

I’m at a loss for words. WOW!

Signature

Waiting to be included in one of Apple’s target markets, but I still own an iPod, iPhone and iMac and APPL stock.

Posted: 14 September 2012 06:36 PM #5

Along with so many of you, I also pre-ordered my iPhone 5 today grin

Posted: 14 September 2012 07:26 PM #6

Phoebear611 - 14 September 2012 06:21 PM

Just saw this on Bloomberg from an AAPL spokesperson!

Apple Says Early Orders for Next Version of IPhone ‘Incredible’
    By Adam Satariano - Sep 14, 2012 5:44 PM ET

Apple Inc. said that early orders for the next version of the iPhone, which was unveiled this week, have been “incredible.”

“Pre-orders for iPhone 5 have been incredible,” said Natalie Kerris, a spokeswoman for Cupertino, California-based Apple. “We’ve been completely blown away by the customer response.”

all great news for all of us!  Think it was your 4 phone purchase that put them over the top???

Signature

“My mind hovers on hummingbird wings.”  D. Eggers

• Posted: 14 September 2012 07:58 PM #7

Wow, look at the moon smile

This week I sold some Jan 2014’s.  Bought April $700’s with the proceeds. Sold $700’s earlier for 34% gain and bought April 650’s on Tuesday.

Feel a little wild, but it is working out well.

Current holdings in self managed accounts are:

4.7% - Cash
    15% - April $700’s bought right after the event yesterday
    17.7% - April $650’s bought on Sept 11
    39.5% - Jan 2014 $600’s - have held for awhile
    3.7 % AAPL shares (some added this morning)
    19.4% Dividend stocks ex-AAPL

• Posted: 14 September 2012 08:51 PM #8

Anyone still trying to make sense of the one-hour sellout?  At first it seemed almost too fast if they really had a huge stock ready. But is it possible the number of guarenteed 9/21 preorders is bottlenecked by a hard number of deliveries that can be made nationwide. Or at the very least, a set number that UPS, Fed Ex, etc were able to allow them.  That could explain why it jumped to “two weeks” so quickly but hasn’t budged from two weeks despite what I’m sure are a ton of people that didn’t wake up before 4ET but still preordered today.

Posted: 14 September 2012 08:57 PM #9

Why try making sense of it?  Demand is great.

Try making sense of the stat that matters when it arrives Sep. 24 or so:  Initial sales.

And, if you like, you can also see if AFB1/2ers wink are receiving iPhone shipments originating in…well…you know what happened with the new iPad…

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 14 September 2012 09:56 PM #10

mcharliem - 14 September 2012 08:51 PM

Anyone still trying to make sense of the one-hour sellout?

Yes, everyone and his brother wants an iPhone 5.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007

Posted: 14 September 2012 10:29 PM #11

TMO forum management has an official suggestion box up in the Announcements and Suggestions board, in case anyone was interested.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 14 September 2012 11:26 PM #12

Mav - 14 September 2012 10:29 PM

TMO forum management has an official suggestion box up in the Announcements and Suggestions board, in case anyone was interested.

I do not think it is our job to go find them, frankly.

• Posted: 14 September 2012 11:42 PM #13

roni - 14 September 2012 11:26 PM
    Mav - 14 September 2012 10:29 PM

I do not think it is our job to go find them, frankly.

You (or I) probably couldn’t find it if we tried on this shitty new board. I did actually find it when I stumbled across a post from some guy who may be responsible for this disaster in which he provided a direct link to it. I just don’t understand how one (maybe multiple) person(s) can ruin the best AAPL board on Earth with one unneeded, unnecessary, unwarranted, unintelligent change.

• Posted: 14 September 2012 11:57 PM #14

Not me.  I’m going on sabbatical for a couple of weeks, then I’ll drop in to see if TMO has been fixed. If not I’m out of here. In the mean time I’m going to check Zaky’s site.

Hope everyone profits nicely, and TMO can get its act together. I liked this community.

[ Edited: 16 September 2012 11:31 PM by lovemyipad ]

Signature

You can’t do more, make more, be more, than the next guy, if you think like the next guy. Think different.

Posted: 15 September 2012 12:30 AM #15

adamthompson32 - 14 September 2012 11:42 PM

I just don’t understand how one (maybe multiple) person(s) can ruin the best AAPL board on Earth with one unneeded, unnecessary, unwarranted, unintelligent change.

I know there must be a lesson to be learned from all of this. It’s on the tip of my tongue.

Signature

We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them. — Steve Jobs, 2007